LFS yesterday

Look! A section for non-puffer and/or non-aquarium photos! Oh joy!
jus85411
Mbu Puffer
My Puffers: none currently :(
Location (country): USA

LFS yesterday

Post by jus85411 »

i was at a LFS yesterday picking up some crickets for my beardie and as always i take a stroll through the fish. this place i went to reminds me a lot of a pet store i used to work at. its a little mom and pop shop but known in our area as a good store. upon first arrival inside the store doesnt look that great, honestly it looks a little messy and the dogs are in play pens together but as a customer you can lean over and reach in to pet them, like in the pet store i worked at, you could reach and pet any dog you would like that were in the bigger pens. but anyway, the main reason i made this thread is for PufferPunk, i saw a gorgeous pleco(phantom pleco maybe?), but he was new because it was in the tank but no sign yet and their fish days are tuesday and friday. first picture of the pleco was without flash from my camera, the second one is with the flash, you can really tell his colors that i was seeing with my naked eye, i really liked him
without flash:Image
with flash: Image

another fish i really liked, it was a cichlid but im not sure what kind. it was labeled as a leopard cichlid. usually this store is very good with naming correctly and keeping proper conditions. but i couldnt find anything on this type of cichlid. he was adopted by the pet store recently and is $15 but shes huge(store said it was female and laid eggs)! probably around 10 inches. i really enjoyed the personality this fish had. she was very mean probably from recently laying eggs, but personable. you went to the front of the tank and she came to the front and flared up her gills, you put your hand near her she flared up again and flashed at your hand. then i ask what size tank she was in... a 29G!!! i know thats too small for the fish and so did the owner, thats why shes in the pet store for sale now. i didnt think to take a full shot of the fish because i didnt think i would have a problem searching for it. i think its a wolf cichlid just from a quick search and ID. im interested in possibly getting it but only if i can accommodate her and make sure she gets a nice home after being stuck in something so small for her life so far. my roommate tried really hard to talk me into getting her last night but i knew i couldnt just spur the moment shop especially with having an empty tank on hand currently. i am also a big fan of growing fish out, but i really liked her :D

sorry for book of a story, but there was also a dog they had that i wanted to share. it was an american bulldog/pit bull mix. GORGEOUS!!! all white with 1 spot at the base of the tail. also including picture :) enjoy, comment if you would like, but most importantly if you know anything about this fish or know the correct name, let me know please! im very interested in getting it but i dont want to if i cant care for her.
you can barely see the lone spot he wouldnt sit still for too long :)Image
jus85411
Mbu Puffer

Re: LFS yesterday

Post by jus85411 »

i forgot to add that when i was talking to a manager about the cichlid i posted a picture of she was telling me about the previous owner and all so i asked about how aggressive she is and how she probably had a diet of feeders etc. and she assured me the previous owner knew about feeders and how they werent good so the fish was raised on pellets, flake and algae wafers :shock: and she even pulled this container of flake and a bag of wafers from under the fish supply cabinet. i laughed and asked if i could drop a wafer in and she said yeah. so i did and ever so gently did the fish go over, check out the wafer and eat it up. i was so shocked by how gentle this fish was after seeing what she does when someone gets close to the tank! she was reluctant at first towards the wafer, the manager said she just fed her not too long ago but as soon as she said that the fish ate it
Nuclear_Glitter
Fahaka Puffer
Location (country): North Carolina, USA

Post by Nuclear_Glitter »

I believe you are correct on the Wolf Cichlid guess. If that's true though she can get up to 19 inches (if she wasn't stunted by the 29 gallon, and if she was it's going to mean a much shorter life) and you will need around a 215 gallon tank for her (long, not tall). They need a pH of 7.0 and a temperature of around 75.
"Obstacles are those frightful things you see when you take your eyes off your goal." -- Henry Ford
Pufferpunk
Queen Admin
My Puffers: Filbert, the 12" T lineatus
Punkster, the 4" red T miurus
Mongo, the 4" A modestus
2 T biocellatus
C valentini
C coranata
C papuan
Also kept:
lorteti
DPs
suvattii
burrfish
T niphobles
Location (country): USA, Greenville, SC

Post by Pufferpunk »

Green phantom plecos are one of my favorites! I've got one now.
You are getting sleepy... you only hear the sound of my voice... you must do water changes... water changes... water changes... water changes...

"The solution to pollution is dilution!"
jus85411
Mbu Puffer

Post by jus85411 »

Nuclear_Glitter wrote:I believe you are correct on the Wolf Cichlid guess. If that's true though she can get up to 19 inches (if she wasn't stunted by the 29 gallon, and if she was it's going to mean a much shorter life) and you will need around a 215 gallon tank for her (long, not tall). They need a pH of 7.0 and a temperature of around 75.
yeah i kind of figured she was out of the question once i found info on the wolf cichlid lol. i have an empty 54 corner but i knew at her current size its too small and i have a 75 with my beardie, i can move him but even the 75 would be too small. its a shame, she was an awesome fish! even though she was overly aggressive.

PP - that pleco was really cool looking, the first picture he was just sitting there. next one he swam right in front of me and did like this sideways "pose" i called it :lol: seemed to have some personality. as soon as i saw it i thought of taking a picture for you :D
Nuclear_Glitter
Fahaka Puffer
Location (country): North Carolina, USA

Post by Nuclear_Glitter »

Sadly she most likely won't get the home she needs.
"Obstacles are those frightful things you see when you take your eyes off your goal." -- Henry Ford