Mantis pics

Look! A section for non-puffer and/or non-aquarium photos! Oh joy!
hadla
Mbu Puffer
My Puffers: 2 gsps and a big Stars and stripes
Location (country): California

Re: Mantis pics

Post by hadla »

lol you are funny =P
Never trust big puffers. The fingers you save may be your own. -RTR
hadla
Mbu Puffer
My Puffers: 2 gsps and a big Stars and stripes
Location (country): California

Post by hadla »

its killing me that i cant get rid of that spammer! i keep thinking i can delete the posts like on dwarfpuffers.com
Never trust big puffers. The fingers you save may be your own. -RTR
LilGreenPuffer
Former Staff Member
My Puffers: Dwarf puffer - Thumbelina (only mine in my heart now; she lives in CT with my friend)

RIP Inigo Montoya, Fezzik, and Vizinni.
RIP James Bond.
Location (country): United States

Post by LilGreenPuffer »

I asked the breeder about longevity, by the way - my mantis has about a year. Pretty good!
"I will give you a talisman. Whenever you are in doubt, or when the self becomes too much with you, apply the following test. Recall the face of the poorest and the weakest man whom you may have seen, and ask yourself, if the step you contemplate is going to be of any use to him or her. Will she gain anything by it? Will it restore her to a control over her own life and destiny? In other words, will it lead to freedom for the hungry and spiritually starving millions? Then you will find your doubts and your self melt away."

Found among the papers of Mohatma Gandhi

Come and visit http://www.thetriopsforum.com!

I AM A DUDETTE!

NEED NITRIFYING BACTERIA FOR YOUR NEW TANK? PM ME!
jus85411
Mbu Puffer
My Puffers: none currently :(
Location (country): USA

Post by jus85411 »

saw the smallest mantis i have ever seen outside a few minutes ago so i scooped him up which he was very curious lol and didnt try to get away too much. everytime he hopped off my hand i put it in front of him and he went back on lol. also put a picture for size comparison on the same part of my hand as one of the pics. a smaller 1 inch paperclip and a larger "jumbo" paperclip we use in the office. figured they would be the easiest thing to get the comparison.

and for size comparison:
LilGreenPuffer
Former Staff Member
My Puffers: Dwarf puffer - Thumbelina (only mine in my heart now; she lives in CT with my friend)

RIP James Bond.

Post by LilGreenPuffer »

Aw, that must be a brand-new hatchling!
"I will give you a talisman. Whenever you are in doubt, or when the self becomes too much with you, apply the following test. Recall the face of the poorest and the weakest man whom you may have seen, and ask yourself, if the step you contemplate is going to be of any use to him or her. Will she gain anything by it? Will it restore her to a control over her own life and destiny? In other words, will it lead to freedom for the hungry and spiritually starving millions? Then you will find your doubts and your self melt away."

I AM A DUDETTE!

jus85411
Mbu Puffer

Post by jus85411 »

when i find these at work i always want to bring them home. especially this little guy because i have since i was little always wanted to try to keep these. never did it though as i dont know enough about their care. i want to get one this small and watch it grow. its amazing that as a wild animal a lot of these are not so scared of us and will climb freely on you to explore
Corvus
Mentor

Post by Corvus »

double post
Last edited by Corvus on Wed Jun 29, 2011 1:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Give a man a fish, and he'll eat for a day. Give a fish a man, and he'll eat for weeks.
Corvus
Mentor

Post by Corvus »

At first I thought this thread was about mantis shrimps.

Great to see other people interested in the insect family. More than a deacde ago I used to breed a European mantids (Empusa fasciata and a Sphodromantis). Lately I saw that Idolomantis has found its way into the hobby. I have to confess I almost set up a number of adequate containers... maybe when another flat or house is afforadable...

EDIT: A picture of what I'm talking 'bout: http://gallery.photo.net/photo/5112097-md.jpg
Give a man a fish, and he'll eat for a day. Give a fish a man, and he'll eat for weeks.
jus85411
Mbu Puffer

Post by jus85411 »

corvus i was eyeing that one up on the website lilgreenpuffer linked :D i love how that one looks. i would probably only keep one that is native to around here as they are what i grew up always looking for on my ventures out for garter snakes or spiders/other bugs
LilGreenPuffer
Former Staff Member

RIP James Bond.

Post by LilGreenPuffer »

Ack, those wide-armed mantises are pretty intimidating!!! If you don't have space for breeding, why don't you get just one as a pet? C'mon, you know you want it!

I AM A DUDETTE!

Corvus
Mentor

Post by Corvus »

Nah, only breeding them is the real thing for me, especially since this species is not that common as pets.
jus85411
Mbu Puffer

Post by jus85411 »

i definitely want one, but i am in the process of rehoming my bearded dragon and selling my fish tank. i just feel bad to keep animals that i dont get to see very much of. i work 55-65 hours a week. mondays and tuesdays are my only nights off, sundays are my only full days off but i play mens softball(oxy-moron? lol) double headers every sunday starting at 9am and i stay at a friends house. so until i am not working as much and have more time on my hands i will not have any animals :(