GOT SNAILS? Snail Breeder Tank Pics

Look! A section for non-puffer and/or non-aquarium photos! Oh joy!
jmiller
Green Spotted Puffer
My Puffers: Dwarf - Lily
GSP - Emma
Location (country): USA

Re: GOT SNAILS? Snail Breeder Tank Pics

Post by jmiller »

Thanks.
John
aka MacKenzie, Bailey & TBD's pa-paw
JRC3
Fahaka Puffer
My Puffers: F8(55g)
F8 (46g)
4-DP(29g)
Location (country): U.S.

Post by JRC3 »

I've notice that I have few baby snails too. I keep seeing egg sacks and a day or two later I notice them gone. I blamed the betta so I divided the tank for 2 weeks and the same thing continued. Then I saw it...The large adult ramshorns are eating them. I think I have too many adults in there, over 25, and I'm gonna thin their numbers to under 10. My F8 loves to eat the big ones more than the small ones so he will be glad to help me out. I still have plenty of snails and I don't think I will ever get low. If anybody needs any to start their own breeding tank just let me know.
There are many knowledgeable fish keepers on this forum willing to help and give great advice...The advice is free; What you choose to do with it gives it value.
jmiller
Green Spotted Puffer
GSP - Emma

Post by jmiller »

That's what I'm afraid of. I just rough counted and have around 100 on the glass and maybe a few less than that in the plants. The smallest is about the size of a pencil eraser and I have a couple getting close to being the size of a nickel.
John
Lil' Swimz$
Mbu Puffer
My Puffers: Lorteti - Peaches

Post by Lil' Swimz$ »

Quick question, do any of you deworm your snails?
Ha ha, he he! DAncE whEn yoU're HAPpppy! He he he! DAnce, danCE, DANCe!
jmiller
Green Spotted Puffer
GSP - Emma

Post by jmiller »

I'm bringing this back up since I'm going to try and make some this weekend. Has anyone made this yet?
Here is the recipe that I'll be using, which was taken from the link that J-P posted.
Snail Jello
1 can of baby food (4-6 oz)
1 tsp+ fish food (may be omitted)
Calcium/vitamin supplements (I use 1tsp Jurassi-reptical powder w/out phosphorus)
1 packet (= 1 tablespoon) unflavored gelatin

You can select any fish food and any flavor of baby food that you like. Try to find baby foods with at least 4% calcium (vegetable medley has a higher %), either fruit or vegetable types are find. This is a good way to feed fish foods that are good for snails but don't sink, like freeze-dried shrimp, or fish foods that have a strong smell when cooked in other recipes. You can mix in much more than a teaspoon of fish food, and including the ingredients of a "snail trail mix" instead of a single fish food would make this snail treat more nutritionally complete.

Instructions

Open the baby food and pour it into a small bowl. Heat the baby food in the microwave for 60 seconds (caution, it will be very hot).

Stir in the unflavored gelatin (add it slowly to avoid unsightly clumps of gelatin; don't use a blender or you risk creating air bubbles that will make it float) crushing any lumps with the back of a spoon.

Add calcium supplements and vitamins if you have/want them. Stir thoroughly.

Pour this mixture into a dish with a flat bottom (tupperware-type containers work well; if you are doubling or tripling this recipe, you might consider a pie pan).* Fold in your fish food(s) if you are adding any.

Refrigerate for several hours, then return and cut into cubes.

One jar of baby food yields a good handful of snail treats. Keep them refrigerated until serving. These sink and hold up pretty well in the tank, but as with any food, large uneaten portions should be removed after the snails have finished. These can be frozen for up to a month.

*You can use an ice cube tray to create big treats for a tank full of snails. No slicing is needed in this case.

Since I have about 100+ dime sized ramshorns, plus babies, I'll definitely be using the ice trays. This is a 5.5 gallon tank so I'm assuming I should use the little (thimble sized) trays? Plus I have a bunch of flake food from my previous community tank that needs to be used.
John
xrayjeeper83
Mbu Puffer
My Puffers: Fahaka named Bloat
Abei named Huey
GSP named Bacon

Post by xrayjeeper83 »

Lil' Swimz$ wrote:Quick question, do any of you deworm your snails?
a lot of the deworms are bad for snails iirc
RTR wrote:Fahakas do not have tank mates, they may have swimming food reserves.