POTM October 2012 - vote now!

Compete with your pufferpics here!
Forum rules
Would you like to enter our Puffer of the Month photo competition?

Each month's winner is not only featured on our home page for the following month, but is automatically entered into our annual Puffer of the Year competition, with a grand prize of a $25 gift certificate to The Puffer Store!

Full rules and entry instructions can be found here: viewtopic.php?f=21&t=3455

Vote for the POTM

Poll ended at Tue Oct 30, 2012 5:15 pm

5%
14%
No votes
19%
62%

Total votes: 21

JRC3
Fahaka Puffer
My Puffers: F8(55g)
F8 (46g)
4-DP(29g)
Location (country): U.S.

Re: POTM October 2012 - vote now!

Post by JRC3 »

I voted #1 because that is one healthy looking SAP, though the pic quality is kinda rough. But 4 and 5 are great in their own ways.
There are many knowledgeable fish keepers on this forum willing to help and give great advice...The advice is free; What you choose to do with it gives it value.
sgtmyers88
My Puffers: Green Spotted Puffers
Location (country): USA

Post by sgtmyers88 »

Yeah wasnt that a resubmission from last month? I forgot we could do that.
WARNING: Puffers are mischievous little blimps with enchanting powers. You may not be content with having just one.
defool89
Fahaka Puffer
My Puffers: 1 Fahaka
Location (country): United states, Garland Texas

Post by defool89 »

Next potm I'm going to give my puff some lipstick and maybe some lingerie
You have the right to bear Puffers.
Tim
Fahaka Puffer
Location (country): Sweden

Post by Tim »

defool89 wrote:Next potm I'm going to give my puff some lipstick and maybe some lingerie
:mwave:
*A wild water plant appears, Pig the Green Spotted Puffer is intimidated*
scpion
Fahaka Puffer
My Puffers: 23in Mbu, donated to SEA Aquarium
4in Fahaka 150g
Location (country): singapore

Post by scpion »

defool89 wrote:Next potm I'm going to give my puff some lipstick and maybe some lingerie
Hey! I would vote for any puff in a lingerie!!
I am not a Troll, I am just pissed..!
RTR
Mentor
Location (country): East Coast, USA

Post by RTR »

I think that i will have to save my pennies to hire a photographer to take shots proving to folks that the reflection they see in shot #2 is an optical illusion and the fish does not see that. I've only explained that dozens of times...
Where's the fish? - Neptune
bertie 83
My Puffers: lineatus R.I.P, South American puffer. Valentini puffer, porcupine puffer.
Non puffer
Danios, Tetras, Redtail Rasporas,
Harlequins, CAE's, Yoyo
Loaches, Clown loaches ,Eels, various shrimp, tangs,wrasses, damsels, chromis
Location (country): Brighton, England

Post by bertie 83 »

And I have seen for myself lol.jrc3 that's my little one lol.
It's amazing how easy maintenance is. If done regularly and thoroughly
scpion
Fahaka Puffer
4in Fahaka 150g

Post by scpion »

Very often when someone asked a question about having substrate or bare bottom tank, its always highly recommended to have substrate and other than the tons of beneficial micro organism, one of the common reason given was that the puffer will feel insecure or intimated because they will "see another puffer" below. If there is no reflect or even faint one on the sides, whats makes it so different on the bottom, why was this suggestion almost never questioned or corrected?

Sorry.. Bertie, I remembered u sacrificed your head and even got your eye poke the last time.. but, I also did a small video recorded experiment and proved otherwise. Hmm.. I just can't stop b**ching abt this topic...
G S P Freak
Green Spotted Puffer
My Puffers: Figure Eight Puffers, Binks (29G)
Dwarf puffers, named "He-Puffer" (male) and She-puffer (female) (10g)
Non-puffer:
1 Red-eared slider, Tortuga (female)(100g)
1 rubber lip pleco
Location (country): USA, Indiana

Post by G S P Freak »

RTR wrote:I think that i will have to save my pennies to hire a photographer to take shots proving to folks that the reflection they see in shot #2 is an optical illusion and the fish does not see that. I've only explained that dozens of times...
Wow, calm down. It's just a funny little caption, I don't believe that the puffer recognizes his reflection as another fish at all, it's a quip made purely for entertainment purposes. I don't see the point in belittling someone for this, I'm not an idiot, and I can't believe I'm seeing this from someone who supposedly disproves of such attacks. And I honestly count whether a fish can see his reflection or not very low on my to-know list for puffers...
Last edited by G S P Freak on Thu Oct 25, 2012 10:54 pm, edited 2 times in total.
No human being, however great, or powerful, was ever so free as a fish.
-John Ruskin-
"I have to laugh when people call fish-keeping a hobby, if anything, it's a science... and for some, an obsession." - Me
scpion
Fahaka Puffer
4in Fahaka 150g

Post by scpion »

G S P Freak wrote:
RTR wrote:I think that i will have to save my pennies to hire a photographer to take shots proving to folks that the reflection they see in shot #2 is an optical illusion and the fish does not see that. I've only explained that dozens of times...
Wow, calm down. It's just a funny little caption, I don't believe that the puffer recognizes his reflection as another fish at all, it's a quip made purely for entertainment purposes. I don't see the point in belittling someone for this, I'm not an idiot, and I can't believe I'm seeing this from someone who supposedly disproves of such attacks. And I honestly count whether a fish can see his reflection or not very low on my to-know list for puffers...
Whoa.. u are taking it too seriously.. I am very certain RTR didn't intend it as anything personal whatsoever..
G S P Freak
Green Spotted Puffer
Non-puffer:
1 rubber lip pleco

Post by G S P Freak »

I apologize if I have in fact over-reacted, but the last sentence sounded particularly condescending to me...

Anyways, enough of that, I don't know why I bothered replying. I really don't feel like stirring up any trouble... just ignore me :?
-John Ruskin-
"I have to laugh when people call fish-keeping a hobby, if anything, it's a science... and for some, an obsession." - Me
bertie 83
My Puffers: lineatus R.I.P, South American puffer. Valentini puffer, porcupine puffer.
Non puffer
Danios, Tetras, Redtail Rasporas,
Harlequins, CAE's, Yoyo
Loaches, Clown loaches ,Eels, various shrimp, tangs,wrasses, damsels, chromis
Location (country): Brighton, England

Post by bertie 83 »

Rtr can come across as blunt, he just gets to the point without waffling. He certainly would not attack you lol.
It's amazing how easy maintenance is. If done regularly and thoroughly
RTR
Mentor
Location (country): East Coast, USA

Post by RTR »

Sorry if I stepped on toes! I really did not mean to attack or upset anyone. But that explanation of the phantom reflections is one of the commonest tank myths.

There is light reflection from bare bottom glasses, and/or shadows from the fish which can startle or spook them. Some bottom covering for me makes the fish much more normal in behavior. Only pelagic or ultra-deep FW fish see no bottom. Most of our hobby fish definitely see the bottom of their world and may see shadows but underwater bottom reflections have to be rare in the wild but universal in substrate-free tanks.

If I do a blurb on side-glass reflections, will Dadof4 shoot me? Diagrams and photos? Can the library take that?
Where's the fish? - Neptune
defool89
Fahaka Puffer
My Puffers: 1 Fahaka
Location (country): United states, Garland Texas

Post by defool89 »

Rtr please post anything that youd like please. I'm interested in somethig that might get you shot. Lol
You have the right to bear Puffers.
G S P Freak
Green Spotted Puffer
Non-puffer:
1 rubber lip pleco

Post by G S P Freak »

RTR wrote:Sorry if I stepped on toes! I really did not mean to attack or upset anyone. But that explanation of the phantom reflections is one of the commonest tank myths.

There is light reflection from bare bottom glasses, and/or shadows from the fish which can startle or spook them. Some bottom covering for me makes the fish much more normal in behavior. Only pelagic or ultra-deep FW fish see no bottom. Most of our hobby fish definitely see the bottom of their world and may see shadows but underwater bottom reflections have to be rare in the wild but universal in substrate-free tanks.

If I do a blurb on side-glass reflections, will Dadof4 shoot me? Diagrams and photos? Can the library take that?
No, I'm sorry. I've reacted badly, I didn't know that you were having some vendetta with this aquarium myth :lol:. I apologize for over-reacting, I took it way too personal as already stated. I seem to have a problem with blowing things out of proportion, or misinterpreting... I really need to work on that lol. Idk why I thought like this, I guess I was having a bad day... Anyways I hope we can forget about this, I'm already feeling embarrassed for what I've started up, everyone here is so nice and helpful, thanks everyone.
-John Ruskin-