March POTM - Winner Announced!!!

Compete with your pufferpics here!
Forum rules
Would you like to enter our Puffer of the Month photo competition?

Each month's winner is not only featured on our home page for the following month, but is automatically entered into our annual Puffer of the Year competition, with a grand prize of a $25 gift certificate to The Puffer Store!

Full rules and entry instructions can be found here: viewtopic.php?f=21&t=3455

Which photo do you think should win the March Puffer of the Month competition?

Poll ended at Mon Apr 05, 2010 12:20 am

Entry #1
No votes
Entry #2
No votes
Entry #3
4%
Entry #4
No votes
Entry #5
6%
Entry #6
58%
Entry #7
8%
Entry #8
2%
Entry #9
15%
Entry #10
8%

Total votes: 53

LilGreenPuffer
Former Staff Member
My Puffers: Dwarf puffer - Thumbelina (only mine in my heart now; she lives in CT with my friend)

RIP Inigo Montoya, Fezzik, and Vizinni.
RIP James Bond.
Location (country): United States

Re: March POTM - Vote Now!!!

Post by LilGreenPuffer »

Raw means that it hasn't been edited, so it's full-sized.

Congratulations, Beetroot and sPuffalopagus!
"I will give you a talisman. Whenever you are in doubt, or when the self becomes too much with you, apply the following test. Recall the face of the poorest and the weakest man whom you may have seen, and ask yourself, if the step you contemplate is going to be of any use to him or her. Will she gain anything by it? Will it restore her to a control over her own life and destiny? In other words, will it lead to freedom for the hungry and spiritually starving millions? Then you will find your doubts and your self melt away."

Found among the papers of Mohatma Gandhi

Come and visit http://www.thetriopsforum.com!

I AM A DUDETTE!

NEED NITRIFYING BACTERIA FOR YOUR NEW TANK? PM ME!
Flutter
Former Staff Member
Location (country): Canada

Post by Flutter »

Nope, raw is a format like jpeg. DSLRs can take raw pictures just like a point and shoot would take jpeg pictures.
It is absurd to talk of one animal being higher than another. We consider those, when the cerebral structure/intellectual faculties most developed, as highest. A bee doubtless would when the instincts were.
Charles Darwin
J-P
Former Staff Member
Location (country): Japan

Post by J-P »

yes but I can edit and save a jpeg. I think it means unedited (or photoshoped)
if you follow me, you avoid stepping in the crap that I just did...

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCZR55G ... pqlgec1A2Q
Flutter
Former Staff Member

Post by Flutter »

You can edit a raw photo too. It's a different format and has nothing to do with editing.
It is absurd to talk of one animal being higher than another. We consider those, when the cerebral structure/intellectual faculties most developed, as highest. A bee doubtless would when the instincts were.
Charles Darwin
Kyle D
Puffer Fry
My Puffers: 4x Carinotetraodon irrubesco
Tetraodon biocellatus - Feight *R.I.P.*

Post by Kyle D »

As a photographer, I thought I would jump in on this.

Flutter is absolutely correct. A RAW photo has nothing to do with editing. It is a format, when a Nikon shooter (myself included) talks about shooting RAW, we are referring to shooting an NEF file (Canon shooters are referring to a CRW file). What RAW means is that it is the straight data from the sensor. There hasn't been any colour curves, saturation, contrast, white balance, or sharpening applied to it. It is 100% the raw data from the sensor. Shooting in RAW will generally give you the best image quality as well as the ability to do non-destructive editing. RAW also gives you the ability to quickly and easily change stuff like the white balance of an image, or its exposure (to a certain degree). So, in order to get a usable image (for either printing or displaying on a computer or the internet) from a RAW file it must be processed by a software program along the lines of Adobe Camera RAW in Photoshop, Adobe Lightroom, Apple Aperture, or my favorite, Nikon Capture NX2.

Most cameras when you shoot in RAW will show you what the JPG would have looked like had you shot it in JPG when it displays the image on the cameras lcd screen (the camera makes note of the settings you had set up in the camera for white balance, saturation, etc...so that gives you a baseline when editing in a RAW editing program).

Another bonus of shooting in RAW is that a couple of years from now when RAW processing engines and techniques have improved, you can reprocess your old photos and take advantage of that new technology.

As a photographer, I strictly shoot RAW because of all of its great benefits. I never shoot JPG anymore and have regretted shooting it for the first 2-3 months of owning my first dslr. I regret this because there are many photos that could benefit from a some post processing that can only be done on a RAW file but alas I can't because they were shot in jpg.

An unedited image is referred to as an image that is straight-out-of-camera (SOC).
kilofey
Fahaka Puffer
My Puffers: **PUFFERS
2 Dwarf puffers, but I had an 11" fahaka that I miss soo much!

**OTHER FISH
betta, black oscallaris clown, orange oscallaris clown, purple firefish, blue spotted goby, coral beauty angelfish

**NON-AQUATIC PETS
Chihuahua, springer spaniel/dachund mix, and a barn cat
Location (country): California

Post by kilofey »

aww man! im beat again this month (im #8, if ur undecided, vote 4 me!!! lol) well, i have to admit, its a cute shot of beetroot
"everyone is a genius. But if you judge a fish on its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid"
-Albert Einstein
Pufferpunk
Queen Admin
My Puffers: Filbert, the 12" T lineatus
Punkster, the 4" red T miurus
Mongo, the 4" A modestus
2 T biocellatus
C valentini
C coranata
C papuan
Also kept:
lorteti
DPs
suvattii
burrfish
T niphobles
Location (country): USA, Greenville, SC

Post by Pufferpunk »

I have a Cannon G10 that shoots RAW. I think I'm gonna try that on my next dive trip.
You are getting sleepy... you only hear the sound of my voice... you must do water changes... water changes... water changes... water changes...

"The solution to pollution is dilution!"
LilGreenPuffer
Former Staff Member
My Puffers: Dwarf puffer - Thumbelina (only mine in my heart now; she lives in CT with my friend)

RIP Inigo Montoya, Fezzik, and Vizinni.
RIP James Bond.
Location (country): United States

Post by LilGreenPuffer »

Gracious... That's complicated.
"I will give you a talisman. Whenever you are in doubt, or when the self becomes too much with you, apply the following test. Recall the face of the poorest and the weakest man whom you may have seen, and ask yourself, if the step you contemplate is going to be of any use to him or her. Will she gain anything by it? Will it restore her to a control over her own life and destiny? In other words, will it lead to freedom for the hungry and spiritually starving millions? Then you will find your doubts and your self melt away."

Found among the papers of Mohatma Gandhi

Come and visit http://www.thetriopsforum.com!

I AM A DUDETTE!

NEED NITRIFYING BACTERIA FOR YOUR NEW TANK? PM ME!
Myaj
Tech Team
My Puffers: Bubba, turgidus
Paris, lined burrfish

Post by Myaj »

I never shoot in RAW, because the files are too dang big! I'm usually taking hundreds of photos when I have my DSLR out.

Pretty much only pro's bother with RAW for that reason.. most people just use standard JPG, but of course they are sized down considerably for the contest.
diverchic
Green Spotted Puffer
My Puffers: Parent to:
No puffers since moving to work on a boat but looking to get some again now I am back on land.
Location (country): London, UK

Post by diverchic »

Hi, I shoot both RAW and jpg with the reasoning that I can use the jpg versions now and save and manipulate the RAW versions later once I eventually learn how to use photo editing software. When on a trip I put the pics onto external hard drive straight away and wipe memory card for the next day... or just take around 12 gig worth of memory cards if I won't have time or power, etc. LOL

Loving the pics this month btw!!!!
Mezzovex
Figure 8 Puffer
My Puffers: Dib the Fahaka
Location (country): United States, Oregon

Post by Mezzovex »

#7 Mookie.
Tanks I currently own:

125g freshwater tank w\ 30g sump, 840gph pump, ocean clear canister filter,
20" fire eel, and Dib the Fahaka

55g freshwater tank w\ Magnum 330 filter
Tigger the South American Puffer

5.5g nano saltwater tank
Clean up crew + coral + a strawberry dottyback
mookie loves you
Puffer Fry
My Puffers: Mookie - GSP - RIP :(
Location (country): USA

Post by mookie loves you »

Thank you everyone who voted for Mookie - I wish he were still here to thank you too.

Great photos this month!
Nick
Former Staff Member
My Puffers: Mine:
GSPs - Shakespeare and Jillybean
F8 - Velvet
My fiance:
DP - Emma Goldman
Narrow Lined Puffer - Ulrike
Location (country): Northeastern USA

Post by Nick »

Don't worry, we love Mookie too. You should re-submit him next month, there were quite a few exceptional entries this month, and winning with a GSP is really tough any month.
No matter how magnificent your successes or devastating your failures, the worlds' approximately 5 billion impoverished people could not possibly care less.
doraemon
Figure 8 Puffer
My Puffers: 1 tetraodon miurus (Queen Ziva)
1 Tetraodon lineatus (Asha)
Location (country): uk

Post by doraemon »

Nick wrote:Don't worry, we love Mookie too. You should re-submit him next month, there were quite a few exceptional entries this month, and winning with a GSP is really tough any month.
Lol Nick i think its harder for a lurker species to win :lol:

Congrats to Beetroot and i always enter when theres stiff competition :? :lol:
I have 2 water water pugs that own me!!
Nick
Former Staff Member
My Puffers: Mine:
GSPs - Shakespeare and Jillybean
F8 - Velvet
My fiance:
DP - Emma Goldman
Narrow Lined Puffer - Ulrike
Location (country): Northeastern USA

Post by Nick »

Lurkers are much harder to catch in their "moments of cuteness" but their funny shapes can help them... So I guess it's not hard to see them being POTM worthy, but MUCH harder to catch it on film, since they spend so much time being little digestive mounds.
No matter how magnificent your successes or devastating your failures, the worlds' approximately 5 billion impoverished people could not possibly care less.