Might get new puffer, which could be easier to care for?

A place to discuss general puffer care or news.
Ti_CLaD
Dwarf Puffer
My Puffers: 1 Fahaka
Location (country): Canada

Might get new puffer, which could be easier to care for?

Post by Ti_CLaD »

Hello,

I've been out of the puffer scene for now roughly 3-4 years. My figure 8 puffer died and I kept on with my aquarium but instead tried at crayfishes. Then those past away and now am holding on to plecos, that are 3 different species but are actually breeding for some reason. Anyways, I'm starting to miss that little friendly fish that comes up to the glass to see who's coming over.

But I want to go in a bigger version of a puffer. I'm stopping at 2 specific species that need similar tank size, if I red right, and I don't have the tank yet.

I am debating between the porcupine puffer and a fahaka. I've done brackish but I never tried out a saltwater aquarium so the porcupine gets me worried. The fahaka on the other hand is freshwater, but is it really less maintenance?

Do you have to do as frequent water changes in a saltwater tank than you would a freshwater or is all that filtration system give a break on that?

Also do you actually go in the tank with your hands to pick-up stuff and clean the tank without the risk of getting bit? Once adult size the bite should be worst than my figure 8 used to do.

I don't mind learning to keep a saltwater tank even though it would be a first for me, gotta start somewhere to learn, it's more the between the 2 fishes, which would be easiest to care for in you're opinions?

Thank you,

P.S. if this post is not in the right board please relocate it
Pufferpunk
Queen Admin
My Puffers: Filbert, the 12" T lineatus
Punkster, the 4" red T miurus
Mongo, the 4" A modestus
2 T biocellatus
C valentini
C coranata
C papuan
Also kept:
lorteti
DPs
suvattii
burrfish
T niphobles
Location (country): USA, Greenville, SC

Re: Might get new puffer, which could be easier to care for?

Post by Pufferpunk »

What size tank are you thinking? The setup & upkeep of FW vs SW is completely different. For a large enough tank for the porcy, you'd need a SW mixing station & much more.
You are getting sleepy... you only hear the sound of my voice... you must do water changes... water changes... water changes... water changes...

"The solution to pollution is dilution!"
Ti_CLaD
Dwarf Puffer
My Puffers: 1 Fahaka
Location (country): Canada

Post by Ti_CLaD »

Since I don't have the tank yet I was going to look for the size I need more than fit a fish in what I got. But I was reading and figured a 120gallons for a minimum.

I red somewhere that a long tank would be better than a corner tank, more room to swim even though it's the same volume, what do you think?

So from what I think I understand from your post, it's that the porcupine would be more expensive at start-up, but in the long run is it less time caring, cleaning, maintenance, etc. to do SW or actually more complicated because more material is required, involved?
Pufferpunk
Queen Admin
My Puffers: Filbert, the 12" T lineatus
Punkster, the 4" red T miurus
Mongo, the 4" A modestus
2 T biocellatus
C valentini
C coranata
C papuan
Also kept:
lorteti
DPs
suvattii
burrfish
T niphobles
Location (country): USA, Greenville, SC

Post by Pufferpunk »

I'd go with the longer footprint of the 125g. SW would have to be drilled, with an overflow & a sump to start with.
You are getting sleepy... you only hear the sound of my voice... you must do water changes... water changes... water changes... water changes...

"The solution to pollution is dilution!"