Moving Cross Country

A place to discuss general puffer care or news.
Bradb
Puffer Fry
Location (country): USA

Moving Cross Country

Post by Bradb »

Looking for some advice on what to do with my puffers for a move across country. I currently have a 4.5" fahaka and a 4" red Congo puffer. The fahaka is in a 125 gallon and the Congo is in a 30 long. We have professional movers coming and they will be taking the 125 in the truck.

For the fish I'm considering three options:

1. Buy two ten gallon tanks and house them at my friends. He will then take them to the fish store and they will ship to me when I'm ready for them. Probably the best option but will be pricey Bc I will essentially have to buy filters and heaters for each tank. Plan would be to cycle them by using water from current tanks and letting new filters run on current tanks prior to the move. Also would have to rely on a friend with fairly little fish keeping experience.

2. Bag the fish and place in cooler for the move. I'm not sure this is an option Bc it's gonna take 3-4 days to make the drive and I'm worried that is too long to be bagged up. I can add oxygen to the bags but worried the temps may get to low or even to hot.

3. Just sell the fish and start over. This is my last choice Bc I really like both of my puffers. But on the flip side this is probably the easiest. They both have great personalities and the red Congo took me awhile to find and obtain. Not sure if I could find a red Congo in the Raleigh, NC area.

What are y'all's thoughts? Any other options I haven't thought about?
Pufferpunk
Queen Admin
My Puffers: Filbert, the 12" T lineatus
Punkster, the 4" red T miurus
Mongo, the 4" A modestus
2 T biocellatus
C valentini
C coranata
C papuan
Also kept:
lorteti
DPs
suvattii
burrfish
T niphobles
Location (country): USA, Greenville, SC

Re: Moving Cross Country

Post by Pufferpunk »

You are getting sleepy... you only hear the sound of my voice... you must do water changes... water changes... water changes... water changes...

"The solution to pollution is dilution!"
bengo
Puffer Fry
Location (country): USA

Re: Moving Cross Country

Post by bengo »

Not sure if youve made your move or not but Id go with bringing them with you. Get a bucket, cooler, or tub that can be secured with a lid and just transport the fish in them. Aquarium coop makes those mini air pumps powered through USB. You could plug them into a cigarette lighter USB adapter and run tubing and an airstone into the containers so they wil have plenty of oxygen.