Soon To-be Fahaka mama

A place to discuss general puffer care or news.
AlitaPuffer
Puffer Fry
Location (country): United States/Colorado

Soon To-be Fahaka mama

Post by AlitaPuffer »

Hello!
I am brand new to this forum, and in about a week I will have a new baby Fahaka puffer. I am so excited! I want to do a good job, so I am coming here to ask how I can best ensure the happiness and health of my new little one.

I currently have a 50 gallon tank that had previously housed a flowerhorn. He unfortunately passed away from gill curl, it was just heartbreaking. I have since then done 2 50% waters changes, used "prime" to ensure no ammonia or nitrate or nitrite is in the tank. It will have been cycled a full week before I get the puffer.

I am a bit confused on how to feed the little guy. The store I am buying him from feeds him/her live blackworms, which I can buy from them. But I would really like to eventually have my own breeder tanks of various food, as well as pellets as backup.

How do I start my breeder tanks? Can I just get them from my store and instead of feeding all of the feeders can I breed them? Specifically for ghost shrimp and any other small feeder fish that will ensure that his/her teeth will not need trimming. Should I continue to feed him/her blackworms until I can establish my own tanks?

I have so many questions! I will continue to look into all this forum has to offer! Thanks!
Pufferpunk
Queen Admin
My Puffers: Filbert, the 12" T lineatus
Punkster, the 4" red T miurus
Mongo, the 4" A modestus
2 T biocellatus
C valentini
C coranata
C papuan
Also kept:
lorteti
DPs
suvattii
burrfish
T niphobles
Location (country): USA, Greenville, SC

Re: Soon To-be Fahaka mama

Post by Pufferpunk »

Welcome!
What have you been doing to keep the empty tank cycled? Adding ammonia?
library/feeding/feeding-your-puffers/

library/feeding/basic-snail-breeding/

I do know of a guy who breeds giant cockroaches for his puffers.
You are getting sleepy... you only hear the sound of my voice... you must do water changes... water changes... water changes... water changes...

"The solution to pollution is dilution!"