Internal Filter Flow Affecting Fish

A place to discuss general puffer care or news.
pufferpuggirl
Mbu Puffer
My Puffers: Puffs & Stuff:

1 x M Abei
1 x M Turgidus
1 x T Palembangensis
1 x M Baileyii
1 x T Schoutedeni
1 x T Leiurus
1 x T Miurus
Rainbow crab
crayfish
Location (country): Yorkshire, GB

Internal Filter Flow Affecting Fish

Post by pufferpuggirl »

Hey Everyone,

I read something yesterday about filter output being too strong for some fish and fish dying as a result.
So now I'm looking at all of my tanks and wondering if the output is too strong. And while none of my puffers are dying ... that doesn't mean they like a strong output, and that it's good for them. So I was curious if there's some way to find out which puffers prefer mild water movement and which puffers are not bothered by fast water movement? Most of my puffers are not too small, but they aren't large either. And obviously I love my puffers and I want to give them the best I can give, and if water turbulence is stressing them, I would like to know so I can change things around.

Now re-thinking about the filter output on my tanks, and would like to hear from other people who might have encountered a problem with too much water flow affecting their fish.
Last edited by pufferpuggirl on Wed Oct 28, 2020 6:30 am, edited 2 times in total.
"Puffer .... man's best friend?"
Pufferpunk
Queen Admin
My Puffers: Filbert, the 12" T lineatus
Punkster, the 4" red T miurus
Mongo, the 4" A modestus
2 T biocellatus
C valentini
C coranata
C papuan
Also kept:
lorteti
DPs
suvattii
burrfish
T niphobles
Location (country): USA, Greenville, SC

Re: Internal Filter Flow and Effects on Puffers

Post by Pufferpunk »

What size tank? I assume you had been testing the water after adding all that bioload to the tank?
You are getting sleepy... you only hear the sound of my voice... you must do water changes... water changes... water changes... water changes...

"The solution to pollution is dilution!"
pufferpuggirl
Mbu Puffer
My Puffers: Puffs & Stuff:

1 x M Abei
1 x M Turgidus
1 x T Palembangensis
1 x M Baileyii
1 x T Schoutedeni
1 x T Leiurus
1 x T Miurus
Rainbow crab
crayfish
Location (country): Yorkshire, GB

Re: Internal Filter Flow and Effects on Puffers

Post by pufferpuggirl »

I've edited my original post because I don't think I composed it right to get my question across as I had intended. See original post that has now been edited.
"Puffer .... man's best friend?"
JPuff
Puffer Fry
Location (country): United Kingdom

Re: Internal Filter Flow Affecting Fish

Post by JPuff »

So I'm definitely *not* an expert - I just got puffers a week ago (whcih is why I'm here! Hi all!)

But I've noticed that my pygmy puffers actually seem to 'line up' to swim into the current from the filter and get zoomed around the tank. It almost looks like they're enjoying and playing in it. It's a reasonable size tank with lots of places to hide so they definitely don't need to do this - but it's pretty cute.

Now if I could just get them to eat... :/
Pufferpunk
Queen Admin
My Puffers: Filbert, the 12" T lineatus
Punkster, the 4" red T miurus
Mongo, the 4" A modestus
2 T biocellatus
C valentini
C coranata
C papuan
Also kept:
lorteti
DPs
suvattii
burrfish
T niphobles
Location (country): USA, Greenville, SC

Re: Internal Filter Flow Affecting Fish

Post by Pufferpunk »

Welcome!
Mine will ONLY eat live blackworms. Unfortunately, the only 2 suppliers here in the US are in California & both facilities have been destroyed by fires! At least I have a good breeding stock of snails but I have no idea if they're eating them. :-|
You are getting sleepy... you only hear the sound of my voice... you must do water changes... water changes... water changes... water changes...

"The solution to pollution is dilution!"