Amount of food

A place to discuss general puffer care or news.
sxjixinlicha
Puffer Fry
Location (country): United Kingdom

Amount of food

Post by sxjixinlicha »

Hi guys, I have 2 GSPs that are around 5 cm in length. They are happy and active but my problem is they seem to be hungry all the time. I feed each of them around 2-3 dry shrimps every time, the shrimps are small, like 1-1.5 cm in length. My puffers always fight for food and try to snatch food from each other, seems to be really hungry, but I would stop feeding them once I see their bellies get round. But their bellies would turn flat like after one hour, and every time I pass by, they would come out and look like they are begging for food. Sometimes I just can't resist their craving eyes and give them more, and they would rush to the food immediately like I haven't feed them for several days. While they eat a lot, much more than other fish I kept before, they also poop a lot.

I read somewhere that they don't know a limit in their eating. So I'm wondering should I give them food so long as their bellies are not round? Would it be bad for them to eat too much? How much should I feed them? I sometimes feed them like 4 dry shirmps (1-1.5cm) and a snail per day. I'm wondering if this is too much...Many thanks!!
Pufferpunk
Queen Admin
My Puffers: Filbert, the 12" T lineatus
Punkster, the 4" red T miurus
Mongo, the 4" A modestus
2 T biocellatus
C valentini
C coranata
C papuan
Also kept:
lorteti
DPs
suvattii
burrfish
T niphobles
Location (country): USA, Greenville, SC

Re: Amount of food

Post by Pufferpunk »

You are getting sleepy... you only hear the sound of my voice... you must do water changes... water changes... water changes... water changes...

"The solution to pollution is dilution!"
sxjixinlicha
Puffer Fry
Location (country): United Kingdom

Re: Amount of food

Post by sxjixinlicha »

Thank you, Pufferpunk!

After some research on this forum I think I'm feeding them a bit too much. Thank you for your advice on variety. I'm feeding them mostly dry shrimps, and give them snails and bloodwarms like twice a week. I've kept them for 2 months and they seem happy and healthy!