Porcupine Puffer

A place to discuss general puffer care or news.
Marci1765
Puffer Fry
Location (country): USA

Porcupine Puffer

Post by Marci1765 »

I finally got my porcupine puffer. I am having a hard time finding any information on them. I have
had brackish water puffers. I’m noticing my new puffer seems nocturnal. He is also quite small (1.5-2”). I would love to hear about feeding routines. I know what to feed but how much and how often is a mystery to me. He is in a 32 biocube since the 55 gallon is going through another diatom bloom. Eventually, the 210 g freshwater tank I have will be his home. Are there any invertebrates they find particularly tasty? Are there invertebrates they avoid eating (wishful thinking)? His tank mates will be larger damsels. Do you have tank mate suggestions? Any information will be appreciated! Thanks!
Pufferpunk
Queen Admin
My Puffers: Filbert, the 12" T lineatus
Punkster, the 4" red T miurus
Mongo, the 4" A modestus
2 T biocellatus
C valentini
C coranata
C papuan
Also kept:
lorteti
DPs
suvattii
burrfish
T niphobles
Location (country): USA, Greenville, SC

Re: Porcupine Puffer

Post by Pufferpunk »

You are getting sleepy... you only hear the sound of my voice... you must do water changes... water changes... water changes... water changes...

"The solution to pollution is dilution!"
Garch0mp
Puffer Fry
Location (country): United States

Post by Garch0mp »

Hello!

For my Porc puffer, I feed him once every other day and sometimes he gets two days off. I vary his feeding because it keeps him on his toes (or fins rather). Make sure to keep his diet varied too! They love scallops, clams, krill, squid, and more. Oh, I also feed my porc puffer shrimp shells to wear down his constantly growing teeth. If you don't find a way to wear down their teeth, they could die from it getting in the way of eating and breathing.

About invertebrates, multiple sources say not to have any invertebrates in the tank, haha, but each puffer is different and in some cases, I heard they don't bother them. I would think any shrimps tho would be a goner with mine.

Regarding tankmates... I don't have too much experience as my porc is a complete butt towards other fish, but he is in a 35 gal so he fought for space when I had other fish in there. Damsels are good, I used to have them with him, but I realized he will need a bigger tank so he can find his little niche without freaking out about space (you have a great sized tank awaiting him).

These guys are amazing fish, but you gotta put them in an aggressive tank with eels, tangs and others.

Anyways, have fun with your new puffer!
Pufferpunk
Queen Admin
My Puffers: Filbert, the 12" T lineatus
Punkster, the 4" red T miurus
Mongo, the 4" A modestus
2 T biocellatus
C valentini
C coranata
C papuan
Also kept:
lorteti
DPs
suvattii
burrfish
T niphobles
Location (country): USA, Greenville, SC

Post by Pufferpunk »

This post is from August.
You are getting sleepy... you only hear the sound of my voice... you must do water changes... water changes... water changes... water changes...

"The solution to pollution is dilution!"