Orange Saddleback Pufferfish.

A place to discuss general puffer care or news.
Blewitt
Puffer Fry
Location (country): United Kingdom

Orange Saddleback Pufferfish.

Post by Blewitt »

Hi all.

Just joined looking for info.

My name is Steven, about 40 years fish keeping experience, & last September I took on the above species. (I keep a Hairy, Arrowhead & 2 x Bronzes, as well, obviously all in separate tanks).

Thing is, after reading the info on here, it is all the same going back to 2010/11 which I have already sourced.

Is/has anyone got any further "newer" experiences/knowledge they would like to share?

The set-up for my boy/girl is certainly not anything like suggested, but he/she has done fine so far.
123 litre Fluval Flex (28 litre w/c x 2 weekly. Each 14l w/c has 8 - 10gms marine aquarium salt added)
Sand substrate.
Lives alone.
Plastic plants (which do seem to be getting destroyed bit by bit).
Artificial "rock".
SG (at the moment) 1.006
Food fed, snails, thawed shrimp (& live shrimp) & mealworms. (A lot of mealworm which I breed myself). Fed alternate days with occasional "fasts".
Size now: Approx 5 inch.
Size aquired: Approx 1 1/2 inch.
Water parameters 0 including nitrate.
Current Temp: 24.8c (I know this is an issue from reading, but it's really hot in UK at the moment & is usually around 20c)

Looking for any more modern up to date tips, if anyone is successfully keeping them.

Hopefully have attached an image taken 10 minutes ago.

Best regards.

Pufferpunk
Queen Admin
My Puffers: Filbert, the 12" T lineatus
Punkster, the 4" red T miurus
Mongo, the 4" A modestus
2 T biocellatus
C valentini
C coranata
C papuan
Also kept:
lorteti
DPs
suvattii
burrfish
T niphobles
Location (country): USA, Greenville, SC

Re: Orange Saddleback Pufferfish.

Post by Pufferpunk »

You are getting sleepy... you only hear the sound of my voice... you must do water changes... water changes... water changes... water changes...

"The solution to pollution is dilution!"
Blewitt
Puffer Fry
Location (country): United Kingdom

Post by Blewitt »

Hi. Yes. I still have a shortcut to the Puffer Library on my desk top, from when I started keeping puffers.
Some very good information in there for sure, but again the content goes back to 2009.

Really now just looking for personal success stories/tips if anyone has any.
To be fair, when I got mine I didn't really know it was supposed to be such a difficult puffer to maintain & this was only bought to my attention a few weeks ago, when I posted a video on Instagram. I have just cared for him/her as I do my others

Be really interested to know if anyone has successfully got one past 3 years, in a home aquarium set up, personal maintenance schedules etc.
Pufferpunk
Queen Admin
My Puffers: Filbert, the 12" T lineatus
Punkster, the 4" red T miurus
Mongo, the 4" A modestus
2 T biocellatus
C valentini
C coranata
C papuan
Also kept:
lorteti
DPs
suvattii
burrfish
T niphobles
Location (country): USA, Greenville, SC

Post by Pufferpunk »

If you go to The Puffer Forum group on Facebook, there is a guy keeping one on there.
You are getting sleepy... you only hear the sound of my voice... you must do water changes... water changes... water changes... water changes...

"The solution to pollution is dilution!"
acerimmer
Puffer Fry
My Puffers: Present puffer, fugu puffer only had him/her for few a months. but coping well
1 f8 puffer which lived for 3 years :(
Location (country): burton on trent, england

Post by acerimmer »

hi,great pic by the way. i had 1 for about 2 years. but mine was in full marine. doing really fine until white spot finally got him/her. i think i kept the same tep as you too, tho mine was in a 400 litre tank.