All my puffer wants to do is eat...

A place to discuss general puffer care or news.
eustoma
Puffer Fry
Location (country): Guam

All my puffer wants to do is eat...

Post by eustoma »

If it sees me looking at it it comes up to the glass and looks at me hoping I will feed it. If I am doing maintenance on the tank it will follow my tools hoping there is food. If I watch it just doing its thing in the tank it is observing the environment looking for food. I get that there isn't much else to do in the tank but I actually feel bad feeding it only once a day. I also feel weird about just dropping little critters in there for it to just hunt down and eat all the time like I am raising some sort of monster haha.

Is it okay if I feed it twice a day sometimes? Once in the morning and once at night? I noticed it doesn't take much for their bellies to become full. Also, are there any activities I can do with it to help take its mind off food and keep it mentally stimulated? I want to try training it to do things like I have seen others do online with larger puffers but I have no idea where to begin.

I have a dwarf pufffer, btw.
Pufferpunk
Queen Admin
My Puffers: Filbert, the 12" T lineatus
Punkster, the 4" red T miurus
Mongo, the 4" A modestus
2 T biocellatus
C valentini
C coranata
C papuan
Also kept:
lorteti
DPs
suvattii
burrfish
T niphobles
Location (country): USA, Greenville, SC

Re: All my puffer wants to do is eat...

Post by Pufferpunk »

You could feed twice a day if small amounts but I would skip one day a week for fasting.
You are getting sleepy... you only hear the sound of my voice... you must do water changes... water changes... water changes... water changes...

"The solution to pollution is dilution!"
Colt_An2
Puffer Fry
Location (country): Saratov, Russia/Namur, Belgium

Re: All my puffer wants to do is eat...

Post by Colt_An2 »

Okay, thanks for the advice! I'm not the original poster but a newcomer in the world of puffers, and I'm glad to know it's better to have the fish fast for one day a week, I'd have overfed them with my lack of knowledge.