Snails....

A place to discuss general puffer care or news.
Heydeb
Puffer Fry
Location (country): USA Arizona

Snails....

Post by Heydeb »

I wonder why no one sells frozen ramshorn, bladder, or mystery snails. Boy, they would make a bundle from people like me who don’t want to deal with breeding my own. They are pigs...lol and so messy. I would love to just buy a bag of frozen with the shell. I have found a bag of frozen snails at a Asian store but they are cooked and no shell.... darn... come on you young people, start a business selling frozen snails with the shell for us old grandma’s :D :D you would make a HUGE bundle..... think about it... zillions of us have puffers that need them.
Pufferpunk
Queen Admin
My Puffers: Filbert, the 12" T lineatus
Punkster, the 4" red T miurus
Mongo, the 4" A modestus
2 T biocellatus
C valentini
C coranata
C papuan
Also kept:
lorteti
DPs
suvattii
burrfish
T niphobles
Location (country): USA, Greenville, SC

Re: Snails....

Post by Pufferpunk »

Agreed!
You are getting sleepy... you only hear the sound of my voice... you must do water changes... water changes... water changes... water changes...

"The solution to pollution is dilution!"
pufferjw
Green Spotted Puffer
My Puffers: Duboisi Puffer
Red Congo Puffer
Striped Redeye Puffer
Dwarf Puffer

Have Owned:
Amazon Puffers
Location (country): USA

Post by pufferjw »

I'm not sure if you want an actual answer, but here's why. The cost of labor required to farm invertebrates such as snails, mussels, etc. is about the same per animal, regardless of species. However, when the same quantity of resources is put into each, one snail is less food than one mussel. Because of this, an equal mass of snails would cost producers and thus consumers more, and I doubt that the market would support this when they can purchase mussels (which are very similar) for less. Also, in the event of a hurricane or something, snails could be released and harm an ecosystem.
220 Gallon - 1 Super White Leopoldi Stingray
55 Gallon Planted - No Fish
29 Gallon Planted - 1 Duboisi Puffer
29 Gallon - 1 Red Congo Puffer
Heydeb
Puffer Fry

Post by Heydeb »

Pufferjw, Yes I did really want a answer. And thank you for helping me out. What you said does make sense I really had no idea. The reason I asked is because I did find frozen mud snails except they had no shell and were cooked. (Looked pretty gross to me...lol ) but thank you for taking the time to answer.
Pufferpunk
Queen Admin
My Puffers: Filbert, the 12" T lineatus
Punkster, the 4" red T miurus
Mongo, the 4" A modestus
2 T biocellatus
C valentini
C coranata
C papuan
Also kept:
lorteti
DPs
suvattii
burrfish
T niphobles
Location (country): USA, Greenville, SC

Post by Pufferpunk »

No cooked food for our puffers.
You are getting sleepy... you only hear the sound of my voice... you must do water changes... water changes... water changes... water changes...

"The solution to pollution is dilution!"
Heydeb
Puffer Fry

Post by Heydeb »

Thank you pufferpunk, I did know about the cooked food and didn’t buy it. But that is where I got the idea of asking why company’s don’t just sell the shell on frozen non cooked snails. Sure sounds convenient for us puffer owners tho. Just would be nice to get rid of the snail tank... man, those guys are pigs and messy,messy,messy.... lol
pufferjw
Green Spotted Puffer
My Puffers: Duboisi Puffer
Red Congo Puffer
Striped Redeye Puffer
Dwarf Puffer

Have Owned:
Amazon Puffers
Location (country): USA

Post by pufferjw »

Heydeb wrote: Tue Sep 25, 2018 7:31 pm Pufferjw, Yes I did really want a answer. And thank you for helping me out. What you said does make sense I really had no idea. The reason I asked is because I did find frozen mud snails except they had no shell and were cooked. (Looked pretty gross to me...lol ) but thank you for taking the time to answer.
Absolutely, you're welcome. Can your puffers eat clams or are those too big?
220 Gallon - 1 Super White Leopoldi Stingray
55 Gallon Planted - No Fish
29 Gallon Planted - 1 Duboisi Puffer
29 Gallon - 1 Red Congo Puffer
Heydeb
Puffer Fry

Post by Heydeb »

They are to small for clams. I have self replicating cray fish and the puffers love the baby ones. Boy those breed worse than rabbits! And they are fun to watch. But I would rather down size my number of tanks I have to clean. I have 8. Three with puffers. A fahaka in one a couple figure 8’s in another a green spotted in another, huge fancy goldfish in a giant tank and 4 Diamondback terrapins (spotted turtles) then the snails and 2 for the crayfish. I’m 65 and that’s lots of water changes.....lol but hey, I live in Arizona where playing in the water is always fun...