Is Hannibal a dwarf puffer or not?

A place to discuss general puffer care or news.
RavenInkk
Puffer Fry
Location (country): Ireland

Is Hannibal a dwarf puffer or not?

Post by RavenInkk »

I've never doubted he is, but some people recently say he doesn't look like a DP, but i think he does.

So ill leave this video i took 5 minutes ago here https://streamable.com/0u5ag

He isn't as boxy as other puffers, he has the same spots ive seen on dwarf puffers, i don't see what other people are seeing I've been told he looks south american which would be a puffer I havent really researched and would be something id need to research ASAP if he's not a DP.

(before anyone mentions the tank not being heavily planted, i had 4 in this tank the whole tank was covered in fake plants but he killed the other three before i got home from work so i removed all the fake plants and left the two real ones so i could see him and feed him better, and also i want to re-plant with live plants but my LFS have none right now as delivery has been delayed. just wanted to get that info up straight away so people know this lack of plants is temporary he doesn't like the fake ones, he loves the java fern and sleeps in it)
Pufferpunk
Queen Admin
My Puffers: Filbert, the 12" T lineatus
Punkster, the 4" red T miurus
Mongo, the 4" A modestus
2 T biocellatus
C valentini
C coranata
C papuan
Also kept:
lorteti
DPs
suvattii
burrfish
T niphobles
Location (country): USA, Greenville, SC

Re: Is Hannibal a dwarf puffer or not?

Post by Pufferpunk »

I wish there was a clear close pic of him.
You are getting sleepy... you only hear the sound of my voice... you must do water changes... water changes... water changes... water changes...

"The solution to pollution is dilution!"
gkai
Figure 8 Puffer
Location (country): Belgium

Post by gkai »

I think it's a dwarf, but he looks nervous and too thin. Is he eating well? If yes, maybe he suffer from ip. Normally once eating well, puffers should be much rounder and not have a concave belly...
RavenInkk
Puffer Fry

Post by RavenInkk »

I cant get a better pic, he moves too fast honestly ive tried for two days straight haha. he's nervous of the camera, it was the first time he's seen it and its a large canon camera, id be scared too if i were his size. he's only been here a week. he eats frozen blood worms but after 1 or 2 he stops, he's still young but once he's eaten his belly gets big again this video was before i fed him (was hoping that'd make him more willing to pose for the camera a bit)
RavenInkk
Puffer Fry

Post by RavenInkk »

https://ibb.co/kd3svJ
https://ibb.co/m29Ahy
https://ibb.co/kBEbNy
https://ibb.co/b86eaJ

these are the best photos i could get of him. he hadn't eaten before the video i showed you, i find it hard to get pics of him he's way too fast and energetic. i dunno if my last comment posted or not but ill re-do it just incase. he eats 1-2 blood worms i try get him to eat three times a day because he usually eats 2, then refuses to eat anymore for a few hours, then seems to get hungry again, so he has anywhere from 3-6 blood worms per day (that i SEE him eat, he does nibble the ones that fall to the ground so i know he's never without food, he just prefers it to be wiggled. im considering trying live brine shrimp with him as pond snails are sadly illegal in my country :( i wish they werent because it'd be so easy to keep him well fed on live food if i could get them. the only things here are trumpet snails, assasin snails and ramshorn snails but all three of them from what ive been told by the stores the ones they have in stock are too big and he'd only nibble them once in a while so it'd die slowly :(

his belly gets bigger once he's after eating for sure but thats how i know he's ready to be fed, when i see his stomache look like that. however id like to know what you think about how his belly looks in the photos im showing now because if he has parasites id like to treat them ASAP, though my LFS actually quarintines and treats ALL fish as if they have sickness before they're allowed into the main tanks, even when i spoke to them about him they told me if i wanted to take him back i can but that id have to tell them ASAP if i wanted to return him because they'll have to wait until there's room in the quaruntine tanks. i love him a lot but if its best to send him back i 100% will i definitely just want him to have the best long healthy life. i hope to provide that myself but i know its possible that i might not be able to cure it if he does have parasites and maybe the fish store would be better at it than me. i love puffers but part of me regrets not starting with a betta or anything that will accept pellets/flakes as it'd make my life easier. like for example ive no idea what to do if im going on holiday, like no one i know would be good at feeding him, i dont think anyone would wiggle the tongs with bloodworms to make him think they're alive, he's my favorite pet ive ever had and i did a lot of research and i did consider my moving out situation and would easily be able to take a tank with me so i got him, but the whole holiday thing is what scares me in the long-run.
hadla
Mbu Puffer
My Puffers: 2 gsps and a big Stars and stripes
Location (country): California

Post by hadla »

Yep, he’s a dp :)
Never trust big puffers. The fingers you save may be your own. -RTR
gkai
Figure 8 Puffer
Location (country): Belgium

Post by gkai »

Is he less thin after a week? If he is not getting bulkier with 6 bloodworms a day, IP are likely imho. I world try to observe good poop, that can give hints for ip infection too...
In the other hand, if he is not getting thinner and weaker, you can also wait and see before starting treatment...