care on tetraodon miurus??

A place to discuss general puffer care or news.
Potato puffer mccain
Puffer Fry
Location (country): United kingdom

care on tetraodon miurus??

Post by Potato puffer mccain »

Hi everyone,

Even though I've been in the fish keeping game for nearly 10yrs I'm heading into a brand new area with keeping my first puffer fish and would like some experienced advice from keepers who have kept or keep tetraodon miurus ..

Like many others I've done alot of research on these guys before getting one and even though most of what I've read and checked seems on similar levels. There's a few parts that seem to be abit one way or another..

minimum tank size : seen 70-130 ltr ?? (Currently have a 85ltr but looking to go to a 180ltr as he is only a inch in size at the moment)

Sand not to use to fine witch I haven't (1-1.6mm grain) as I read it can impact witch makes sense but not to sure what effect that could have on a puffer that burrows into substrate alot of the time ???

Also set up style I've gone with plant and red moor tree root after looking at some videos of youtube in the Congo river basin and have that big undergrowth look going on in some parts but yet most posts say quite alot about having stones as they like to replicate them ?? I'm not to sure if that's because of the rocky parts in some of the rapids areas of the river but again answers I'm looking for 😂.

Any help greatly appreciated thankyou
pufferjw
Green Spotted Puffer
My Puffers: Duboisi Puffer
Red Congo Puffer
Striped Redeye Puffer
Dwarf Puffer

Have Owned:
Amazon Puffers
Location (country): USA

Re: care on tetraodon miurus??

Post by pufferjw »

I've owned one for about two years now. 85 liters (22 gallons) is sufficient for one, but I wouldn't go below 70. With an 85, you just have to make sure to keep impeccable water quality, which is achievable through 40% weekly water changes. In terms of substrate, I use Imagitarium White Aquarium Sand, and mine spends most of its time buried. Lastly, I use zebra jasper and spiderwood for hardscape, with no plants(everything gets dug up). Good luck.
220 Gallon - 1 Super White Leopoldi Stingray
55 Gallon Planted - No Fish
29 Gallon Planted - 1 Duboisi Puffer
29 Gallon - 1 Red Congo Puffer
Potato puffer mccain
Puffer Fry

Brilliant stuff thanks. I have got a 85ltr at the moment but will be going for a 180 next year when I move house for him tank gets turned over just under 5x an hour with the filter I have on there and 40% won't be a problem to do at all ..

he's only 1" at the moment so will look tiny in there .. what sort of foods do you feed yours ?? Do you have quite a varied diet for it ??? Also the growth rate would you say they are quick growers or quite steady???
pufferjw
Green Spotted Puffer
Red Congo Puffer
Striped Redeye Puffer
Dwarf Puffer

Have Owned:
Amazon Puffers

Post by pufferjw »

Glad I could help. Honestly, an 180 liter (47 gallon) aquarium is overkill for these guys. As long as the filtration is sufficient, it'll be happy in an 85 liter aquarium for the rest of its life. Its growth will not be stunted at all, and they grow VERY slowly anyways. Mine took about 1.5 years to go from 3" (7.5cm) to 5" (12.5cm). And in terms of food, I feed my Miurus and Duboisi along a 10 day schedule that looks like this:

Day 1: Frozen Shrimp
Day 3: Frozen Shrimp
Day 5: Guppies
Day 7: Frozen Shrimp
Day 9: Earthworm
Potato puffer mccain
Puffer Fry

Maybe a 125 then haha.. i just need a bit more space for him myself to get the tank looking the way I'd like it to in the long run lol..that's brilliant he's eaten 2 of 4 neon tetra that I got in to start a bio load before he got in the tank so guess he will be set for the next day or so .. I got in frozen shrimp and muscle but also have LFS that sells river shrimp what I was gonna do from time to time aswell and maybe couple of earthworms will that be alright ??
Pufferpunk
Queen Admin
My Puffers: Filbert, the 12" T lineatus
Punkster, the 4" red T miurus
Mongo, the 4" A modestus
2 T biocellatus
C valentini
C coranata
C papuan
Also kept:
lorteti
DPs
suvattii
burrfish
T niphobles
Location (country): USA, Greenville, SC

Post by Pufferpunk »

Mine eats mostly earthworms from Walmart.
You are getting sleepy... you only hear the sound of my voice... you must do water changes... water changes... water changes... water changes...

"The solution to pollution is dilution!"
pufferjw
Green Spotted Puffer
Red Congo Puffer
Striped Redeye Puffer
Dwarf Puffer

Have Owned:
Amazon Puffers

Post by pufferjw »

Potato puffer mccain wrote: Tue Jun 05, 2018 2:24 pm Maybe a 125 then haha.. i just need a bit more space for him myself to get the tank looking the way I'd like it to in the long run lol..that's brilliant he's eaten 2 of 4 neon tetra that I got in to start a bio load before he got in the tank so guess he will be set for the next day or so .. I got in frozen shrimp and muscle but also have LFS that sells river shrimp what I was gonna do from time to time aswell and maybe couple of earthworms will that be alright ??
Yeah, sounds like a solid diet! Just make sure not to feed it too many feeder fish, as they can carry parasites and give the puffer dietary issues in large quantities. Idk if it will eat mussels, but worth a shot!
Potato puffer mccain
Puffer Fry

Well I've cut some up for him so will see not much lost if he don't... I won't be feeding it fish once he gobbles the neons up tbh just be river shrimp as live feed everything else is going to be frozen food..

Just curious and my worrying side coming out aswell haha... But i can't really see anywhere a rough amount they eat in a sitting or how long it takes them to get hungry again once they had a feed???

my boy is an inch big as mentioned before he ate a neon around probably 5pm yesterday as I could only see 3 left and I'm just bit worried as I have tried tempting him with a frozen prawn and cut up muscle but he's paid no attention to it ?

He's pacing up and down the tank looking like he's hungry for a good part of the day and I'm not sure what the deal is lol . he has plenty to hide under and around but don't know what's up. I thought they hid under substrate for most of the day ??
pufferjw
Green Spotted Puffer
Red Congo Puffer
Striped Redeye Puffer
Dwarf Puffer

Have Owned:
Amazon Puffers

Post by pufferjw »

Yeah, my Congo spends a lot of time in the sand and then swims out and does the same pacing thing whenever I walk into the room. They don't eat often, so I wouldn't worry at all. And no Congo will pass up a neon tetra when they're hungry, so as long as you have some left the puffer's definitely just full. Once it eats all of the neons, the only thing I'll say is to hold the frozen shrimp in front of the puffer's face and wiggle it. And even now, my 5" puffer only eats at MOST half of a frozen shrimp. Make sure to deworm your fish if you haven't already just to be safe, and just know that I've left mine without food for like a week and it was totally fine.
Pufferpunk
Queen Admin
My Puffers: Filbert, the 12" T lineatus
Punkster, the 4" red T miurus
Mongo, the 4" A modestus
2 T biocellatus
C valentini
C coranata
C papuan
Also kept:
lorteti
DPs
suvattii
burrfish
T niphobles
Location (country): USA, Greenville, SC

Post by Pufferpunk »

Make sure you defrost all food--never frozen. Good idea to defrost in vitamin-water.
You are getting sleepy... you only hear the sound of my voice... you must do water changes... water changes... water changes... water changes...

"The solution to pollution is dilution!"
Potato puffer mccain
Puffer Fry

Brilliant stuff I think he was just full like you said as another one disappeared not long after I got up yesterday morning so atleast I know he is definitely eating when he's hungry ..
I got two neons left in there now so I know he still has a good source going and will definitely try the shrimp again aswell..
Really appreciate the feedback on him as saved the worrying levels incase something was wrong lol .