Why redeyes are no longer available?

A place to discuss general puffer care or news.
gkai
Figure 8 Puffer
Location (country): Belgium

Why redeyes are no longer available?

Post by gkai »

After looking quite extensively, and reaching the end of their usual seasonal availability, it seems that no redeyes ( carinotetraodon lorteti, irrubescos, salivator and boornensis) have been shipped to wholesalers this year, and it was the same last year.
All the fishes I found seems like specimens from 3-4 years ago sold by their owner, or local aquarium trade in Indonesia itself (with some occurence of reproduction in Japan by a puffer enthusiast), but no imported fishes....

Given that redeyes (irrubesco especially) was not so difficult to find 2-4 years ago, and at the sweet spot price-wise for many LFS (<10€) I wonder why....
Schoutedeni were in the same situation, "common" it seems in the 70s but near impossible to find after. They have reappeared lately (even if expensive), and their disappearance was explained by political instability in the Congo region. It is convincing, knowing that shipping fish require efficient air travel and a minimum of local organisation...
But redeyes comes from regions that are not especially unstable afaik. Lorteti especially, Thailand is a well know exporter of tropical fishes (both wild and farmed), so why? Stock exhaustion? Centralized exporter that went out of business? New regulation? Land use change that closed the easily reached fish source? Volcanic eruption? ;-) Just curious why, and also knowing what happened could help guessing about the probability of a reappearance next year....
lilacamy931
Fahaka Puffer
My Puffers: 200 litre - waiting for a schoutedeni
Location (country): UK

Re: Why redeyes are no longer available?

Post by lilacamy931 »

I have no answer for this but would be interested to know too, especially as used to see Irrubesco about and now none on any stocklists!
tmgarcia70
Puffer Fry
Location (country): United States

Post by tmgarcia70 »

I have saw them available online yesterday, can't remember where though. I just googled it.
gkai
Figure 8 Puffer
Location (country): Belgium

Post by gkai »

Yes, they were back on the market a month and a half ago. First in US, then UK, then Europe. I got my group of 6 ;-) They are on the small side though, and usually the season was more like November...So something has definitely changed for irrubesco harvesting....