Tank Swap

A place to discuss general puffer care or news.
Richlafr
Puffer Fry
Location (country): United States

Tank Swap

Post by Richlafr »

Hello,
I am new here but have had a Fahaka Puffer for over a year now and I have some questions as I am transferring him to a new tank. I am going from a 55 gallon to a 75 gallon tank. I am using the old filtration system from the 55 gallon on the new 75 gallon as it is rated for up to 100 gallons. Now for the questions. Should I transfer the water from the old tank to the new tank? I am using sand substrate in the new tank as well instead of using the old gravel substrate from the 55 gallon. I am also wondering if I will need to let the new tank cycle for any period of time before I add the puffer to the tank? Any help would be greatly appreciated. TIA
Pufferpunk
Queen Admin
My Puffers: Filbert, the 12" T lineatus
Punkster, the 4" red T miurus
Mongo, the 4" A modestus
2 T biocellatus
C valentini
C coranata
C papuan
Also kept:
lorteti
DPs
suvattii
burrfish
T niphobles
Location (country): USA, Greenville, SC

Re: Tank Swap

Post by Pufferpunk »

[welcome]
75g isn't nearly large enough for an adult fahaka & not much of an upgrade. Why not go larger, like a 1250?
You are getting sleepy... you only hear the sound of my voice... you must do water changes... water changes... water changes... water changes...

"The solution to pollution is dilution!"
Richlafr
Puffer Fry

Post by Richlafr »

My puffer is only about 6” right now. I have a 125 he will go into when he gets bigger.
Pufferpunk
Queen Admin
Mongo, the 4" A modestus
2 T biocellatus
C valentini
C coranata
C papuan
Also kept:
lorteti
DPs
suvattii
burrfish
T niphobles

Post by Pufferpunk »

I highly suggest moving right to the 125. Then move all the water over, along with all decor & the old filter.
You are getting sleepy... you only hear the sound of my voice... you must do water changes... water changes... water changes... water changes...

Richlafr
Puffer Fry

Post by Richlafr »

The 125 is set up at the moment with Cichlids. The plan is to have the Puffer in the 75 until it reaches about 10” or cichlids are gone. Then I will transfer the Puffer to the 125. So, will I be safe to transfer the water with old filtration to the new tank and new sand substrate and put my puffer in there without the tank running a cycle? Or do you think there is not enough beneficial bacteria in the filtration system to be ok?
Pufferpunk
Queen Admin
Mongo, the 4" A modestus
2 T biocellatus
C valentini
C coranata
C papuan
Also kept:
lorteti
DPs
suvattii
burrfish
T niphobles

Post by Pufferpunk »

You can alwayszx boost the new filter with Tetra Safestart. I'm not sure your puffer will reach 10" in the 75g. Actually,mine was stunted in a 125.