Puffer Interactions - when is it aggressive?

A place to discuss general puffer care or news.
lilacamy931
Fahaka Puffer
My Puffers: 200 litre - waiting for a schoutedeni
Location (country): UK

Puffer Interactions - when is it aggressive?

Post by lilacamy931 »

I'm interested to know of owners experiences / learning curves of when more than one puffer is kept together and how they interact with each other. Also of when things got too aggressive.

I have two new baby schoutedenis (an inch or less in length). Due to their traumatic journey to me, I am watching them like an absolute hawk for anything and paranoid if something goes wrong.

One is much more outgoing and has been from the outset, the other being a bit shyer. Mr outgoing has more vivid markings, explores all areas and last 24 hours has chased and lunged Mr Shy (though he has done so as well). It reminds me of when I had pea puffs and they would squabble for brief moments with no real contact and then settle down again.

Aware this could be territory claiming, domination, malevmale, femalevfemale or simply their personalities.

No idea when this species matures though aware the males are meant to have more vivid markings and longer snouts.
hadla
Mbu Puffer
My Puffers: 2 gsps and a big Stars and stripes
Location (country): California

Re: Puffer Interactions - when is it aggressive?

Post by hadla »

My porky, gsp, and Ceylon are all together temporarily in a 55 for now because I’m redoing the porkys tank. My Ceylon was following my gsp around like a kid sister lol and now my gsp is doing it to my porky! It seems freshwater puffs are more aggressive towards each other to me.
Never trust big puffers. The fingers you save may be your own. -RTR
Bleedingheartmommy
Figure 8 Puffer
My Puffers: Honey (SIP Cantaloupe): C. Travancoricus
Mad Max: P. Cochinchinensis
Apollo: T. Miurus
(SIP Bonnie) Clyde: C. Irrubesco
SIP Orchid
Location (country): USA-Seattle, WA

Post by Bleedingheartmommy »

I agree with heather. FW puffs are so much less compatible. My rule of thumb is this: when the instigator will not let up, it’s moving day. Fins torn or white bite marks, it’s solitary for the offender. I know what you mean about how peas squabble, and that is not uncommon at all. But when the bullying continues beyond quick chasing out of one puffs territory, or they continue to chase and constantly pester, it’s causing stress.
"Genetics loads the gun, and environment pulls the trigger."-Brené Brown
lilacamy931
Fahaka Puffer

Post by lilacamy931 »

Thanks both for that :)

I've only witnessed the chasing, they both seem healthy, no missing bits or chunks taken out of them. This week only able to observe before and after work but will spend some more time over the weekend watching.

Generally it seems squabbles over food and "nope not near me please" as soon as other legs it or moves away, it's fine again. I've seen no persistent chases. Hopefully they will work out even through maturity at a later date. If not, one will have to be rehomed.
Pufferpunk
Queen Admin
My Puffers: Filbert, the 12" T lineatus
Punkster, the 4" red T miurus
Mongo, the 4" A modestus
2 T biocellatus
C valentini
C coranata
C papuan
Also kept:
lorteti
DPs
suvattii
burrfish
T niphobles
Location (country): USA, Greenville, SC

Post by Pufferpunk »

My 3 got along great, even though 2 were much larger than the 3rd. Be sure you have lots of decor & broken lines of sight.
You are getting sleepy... you only hear the sound of my voice... you must do water changes... water changes... water changes... water changes...

"The solution to pollution is dilution!"
lilacamy931
Fahaka Puffer

Post by lilacamy931 »

Hi pufferpunk - thanks for that :)

They've settled in well now and this weekend went and got a ton of live plants and more bogwood to add more interest to the tank which think should help