Increasing Color - GSP

A place to discuss general puffer care or news.
powerline777
Puffer Fry
Location (country): USA

Increasing Color - GSP

Post by powerline777 »

Hello - New to the forum but long time lurker.

Recently set up a 36 Gallon Bowfront, fully 3 month cycled, planted with black aragonite. Pegged at 1.005 with crystal clear readings and a PH of 7.8-8.2.

Its still quite the learning process. Long story short my LFS finally brought in a batch of GSP's and F8's and they looked horrible. I was able to spot one dominant F8 (the largest) and then an "ok" GSP. I also took a floater on the second best and smaller F8. The LFS mentioned that a dual combo of Melafix and Pimafix to get everyone back up to speed.

I didn't post this in the hospital forum because whats done is done. I added in a 2 day regiment of API General but still lost the weakest F8. It wasn't until I realized this was all an issue with internal worms and could of been solved with Metronidazole and Levamisole (and not in tank, but soaked in food).

So now I am left with two amazingly strong, healthy puffers. The F8 is huge, super clean white belly and the dominant fish. The GSP is hanging in there, a little smaller, but still has the grey stress areas on his belly. I'm going to continue to watch these guys to see if they can settle in and bring world peace but my only remaining issue is how to get the GSP from brownish to green? How long does it take for that green virbrant stripe down his back to cover the body? Or is this an issue with not being full salt so I should never think he'll rock the full green colors?

Thanks!
Pufferpunk
Queen Admin
My Puffers: Filbert, the 12" T lineatus
Punkster, the 4" red T miurus
Mongo, the 4" A modestus
2 T biocellatus
C valentini
C coranata
C papuan
Also kept:
lorteti
DPs
suvattii
burrfish
T niphobles
Location (country): USA, Greenville, SC

Re: Increasing Color - GSP

Post by Pufferpunk »

[welcome]
My 1st thought is the black substrate. Fish will darken a great deal with that. You are aware that those puffers require different parameters (SGs)? Eventually they will need separate tanks.
You are getting sleepy... you only hear the sound of my voice... you must do water changes... water changes... water changes... water changes...

"The solution to pollution is dilution!"
powerline777
Puffer Fry

Post by powerline777 »

I'll have to figure out how to post a picture in here so you can see what I'm talking about. I think what I bought was a BSP instead of a GSP (Brown Spotted Puffer). Ha! Seriously this guy refuses to show any green color but seems happy as a lark.

Here is a picture of the tank:

So at their size now, how long do you think I have until they need separate homes? Or better yet, how high can I crank the salinity before it starts to upset the F8? I was already planning on my first salt water set up but wanted to wait a bit until the BSP was ready.
Pufferpunk
Queen Admin
My Puffers: Filbert, the 12" T lineatus
Punkster, the 4" red T miurus
Mongo, the 4" A modestus
2 T biocellatus
C valentini
C coranata
C papuan
Also kept:
lorteti
DPs
suvattii
burrfish
T niphobles
Location (country): USA, Greenville, SC

Post by Pufferpunk »

If you do indeed have a Brown puffer, it is a FW fish. Closeup of your puffer would help.
You are getting sleepy... you only hear the sound of my voice... you must do water changes... water changes... water changes... water changes...

"The solution to pollution is dilution!"
powerline777
Puffer Fry

Post by powerline777 »

Gosh I was making that up in protest since he indeed was brown. I wanted him nice and vibrant green but he came back as a dud. I mean its not his fault....one day he's swimming in a nice stream in Thailand and the next thing he knows the natives are lacing the water with Cyanide so they can scoop him up and sell him to my LFS.

They sold him as a Green Spotted Puffer along with the F8.