Choosing who meets their maker?

A place to discuss general puffer care or news.
Bleedingheartmommy
Figure 8 Puffer
My Puffers: Honey (SIP Cantaloupe): C. Travancoricus
Mad Max: P. Cochinchinensis
Apollo: T. Miurus
(SIP Bonnie) Clyde: C. Irrubesco
SIP Orchid
Location (country): USA-Seattle, WA

Choosing who meets their maker?

Post by Bleedingheartmommy »

Lots of health issues going around lately, including my own (I never thought I would encounter black spot, gotta love wild caught puffs...) and something funny came up at home tonight and thought I would ask my puffer peeps how you do it.

So I breed snails in a couple tanks at home, but the only one taking off is in my bettas tank (she just loves eating the snail babies,so I have no clue why they're doing so good). I always go back and forth about who gets to be dinner. ...

Me: (talking to myself as usual, bc I'm the only one I know listens) "OOOOO, this one! Nooo, he's too pretty and hasn't lived long enough to die for his country. That one should be good, wait... it's empty...."
Husband: "babe there's... *sticks his hand in tank to grab the snail* one right on this leaf..."

I quickly slap his hand and he drops the juvi snail back into the tank. Then stares at me with his mouth hung agape like I farted at the dinner table.

Me: "I only have one rule honey. ONE! You don't feed the puffs the ones helping out! The snails doing their job keeping the foul anubias clean stay to eat another day! See that huge white one over there? *points to giant ramshorn on bottom of plant* That guy figured this out months ago, and at dinner time, like clockwork, he scoots his buns on the plants and starts cleaning away, and look how long he's lived? He knows, when mom comes you better at least look busy or it's "the beak" for you buddy!
Husband: *shaking head* you're nuts, and obviously are making excuses for playing favorites!"
(🙄 Whatever, I am not...)

SOOO...how do you guys choose who gets to be dinner? Ever feel guilty, or bad when choosing and feeding live snails and shrimps? How many puff keepers have invert pets as well? I have Amano shrimp in one tank and some Nerite snails in another (whom are all named), so I do keep inverts as pets too. Just thought it was an interesting question!
"Genetics loads the gun, and environment pulls the trigger."-Brené Brown
hadla
Mbu Puffer
My Puffers: 2 gsps and a big Stars and stripes
Location (country): California

Re: Choosing who meets their maker?

Post by hadla »

I have a hard time feeding anything live other than brine shrimp or black worms lol
Never trust big puffers. The fingers you save may be your own. -RTR
Bleedingheartmommy
Figure 8 Puffer
SIP Orchid

And you keep some pretty cool salt inverts, so you do both! Honestly, I could never feed fish. I'm not knocking those who do, it would just haunt me at night...
Pufferpunk
Queen Admin
My Puffers: Filbert, the 12" T lineatus
Punkster, the 4" red T miurus
Mongo, the 4" A modestus
2 T biocellatus
C valentini
C coranata
C papuan
Also kept:
lorteti
DPs
suvattii
burrfish
T niphobles
Location (country): USA, Greenville, SC

Post by Pufferpunk »

What's wrong with farting at the dinner table?
You are getting sleepy... you only hear the sound of my voice... you must do water changes... water changes... water changes... water changes...

"The solution to pollution is dilution!"
Bleedingheartmommy
Figure 8 Puffer
SIP Orchid

LOL I love you PP, you crack me up!

And the only ones who seem to mind are the boys, if a girl does it. A guy farts at dinner they high five and laugh. A woman does it and they act like you killed a kitten!!! Like somehow ours are supposed to come out sounding like Motzart and smelling like short cake!

That would be Why i spend more time with fish then people.
Welly Puff
Puffer Fry
Location (country): New Zealand

Post by Welly Puff »

I feel awful feeding live foods, but have somewhat desensitized fairly quickly due to the fact that I love my DP babies more than I thought possible! So providing what they need is priority. I try to give the creatures I cultivate for food a good environment while they are living and make their deaths fast as poss (I squash snails and earthworms first, other creatures are a quick mouthful and gone I believe) I also thank them for their sacrifice as I send them to their deaths! (this helps me feel a little better about the situation). So yes, this causes me some conflict, particularly as I otherwise do my best to avoid killing anything, even Flies and Mosquitoes. Plus, I love snails they are beautiful, graceful and fascinating, so needless to say I have a few large favorites that will never be puffer food! Overthinking much? Nah not me...