Discussion: What's a weird thing your Puffer has done/does?

A place to discuss general puffer care or news.
LadyHawk
Puffer Fry
My Puffers: Congo Puffer (Tetraodon mirius)
Dwarf Puffer
Location (country): Minnesota, United States

Discussion: What's a weird thing your Puffer has done/does?

Post by LadyHawk »

The title says it all! Last night my hubs and I sat down to watch a movie and we noticed our Congo intently swimming up and down on that side of his tank. It wasn't a panicked swim, or "HEY FEED ME NOW" swim: it was a relaxed swim as if he was trying to keep both eyes on the TV and kept getting blown off course by the current. About halfway into the movie we realized he was watching it too!! It was an action movie with plenty of movement and bright colors, but he watched the entire movie with us. When I walked over to the tank, it took him a minute to realize I was there, and then he popped over to say "hi". As soon as he realized I wasn't feeding him, he swam back over to watch the rest of the movie. I've kept fish my whole life, but I've never seen anything like this little weirdo. I adore him!

So, what weird stuff does your puffer do?
Pufferpunk
Queen Admin
My Puffers: Filbert, the 12" T lineatus
Punkster, the 4" red T miurus
Mongo, the 4" A modestus
2 T biocellatus
C valentini
C coranata
C papuan
Also kept:
lorteti
DPs
suvattii
burrfish
T niphobles
Location (country): USA, Greenville, SC

Re: Discussion: What's a weird thing your Puffer has done/does?

Post by Pufferpunk »

I have often caught my fish watching TV.
You are getting sleepy... you only hear the sound of my voice... you must do water changes... water changes... water changes... water changes...

"The solution to pollution is dilution!"
Bleedingheartmommy
Figure 8 Puffer
My Puffers: Honey (SIP Cantaloupe): C. Travancoricus
Mad Max: P. Cochinchinensis
Apollo: T. Miurus
(SIP Bonnie) Clyde: C. Irrubesco
SIP Orchid
Location (country): USA-Seattle, WA

Post by Bleedingheartmommy »

1.) DP spits water at feeding time, like an uncoordinated archer fish. NO LIE. She gets so flustered at the surface waiting for the food, she starts spitting little bits of water up in the air, and looks like she's sucking water in and out angrily when she goes back under water.

2.) Baby Cochinchinensis smooshes face against glass on tank like a little kid. He is so active, it's crazy... I sometimes wonder if he's another genus. When his begging lures someone over to the tank, he will literally smash his face against the glass, wrinkling his mouth or cheek. There's a fine dusting of algae from a new light install, so i know it's not "bird into window" syndrome. My favorite is when he's really hungry and he smooshes against the glass dead on so his lips are touching the glass, I can see his dental plates and down his throat, it's priceless. I Been trying to get a video, but every time I pull
My phone out he thinks it's food and zooms around at the surface.
"Genetics loads the gun, and environment pulls the trigger."-Brené Brown
LadyHawk
Puffer Fry
My Puffers: Congo Puffer (Tetraodon mirius)
Dwarf Puffer
Location (country): Minnesota, United States

Post by LadyHawk »

Bleedingheartmommy wrote: Mon May 22, 2017 1:53 am 1.) DP spits water at feeding time, like an uncoordinated archer fish. NO LIE. She gets so flustered at the surface waiting for the food, she starts spitting little bits of water up in the air, and looks like she's sucking water in and out angrily when she goes back under water.

2.) Baby Cochinchinensis smooshes face against glass on tank like a little kid. He is so active, it's crazy... I sometimes wonder if he's another genus. When his begging lures someone over to the tank, he will literally smash his face against the glass, wrinkling his mouth or cheek. There's a fine dusting of algae from a new light install, so i know it's not "bird into window" syndrome. My favorite is when he's really hungry and he smooshes against the glass dead on so his lips are touching the glass, I can see his dental plates and down his throat, it's priceless. I Been trying to get a video, but every time I pull
My phone out he thinks it's food and zooms around at the surface.
I love it!!!!