In Search Of Red Eye Red Tail Puffers

A place to discuss general puffer care or news.
Jalisar
Puffer Fry
Location (country): United States STL. MO.

In Search Of Red Eye Red Tail Puffers

Post by Jalisar »

The head subject line says it all.. I am looking for any number of these little gnomers.. They are very seasonal, but I fear with the issues that have gone on in their home waters of Sumatra, this might be a dry season.

I have seen them here in the States in Nov. and then again about now Feb, and the last time is normally April. Nothing was around in Nov. that I could find, I am seeing nothing now, and no one I do trade with is offering much hope. So I figgered I would register finally instead of just stop in and read a bit now and again, and see if anyone has seen any place selling them that ships to the US. Or anyone in the US that I have missed. I had a line on some nice Olive Puffers, or some of the South American 2 spot as they called them, but being hell bent on the Sumatra red eye I messed about and let them sell out.

Since this is more of a question if anyone knows of any Wholesale or Retailer with these in stock, I put the topic in general rather than in Classified. Feel free to move it should it be better suit for that area.

Thanks
TheDoc

Nothing Ventured, Nothing Gained.
Pufferpunk
Queen Admin
My Puffers: Filbert, the 12" T lineatus
Punkster, the 4" red T miurus
Mongo, the 4" A modestus
2 T biocellatus
C valentini
C coranata
C papuan
Also kept:
lorteti
DPs
suvattii
burrfish
T niphobles
Location (country): USA, Greenville, SC

Re: In Search Of Red Eye Red Tail Puffers

Post by Pufferpunk »

Have you checked Aquabid?
You are getting sleepy... you only hear the sound of my voice... you must do water changes... water changes... water changes... water changes...

"The solution to pollution is dilution!"
Bleedingheartmommy
Figure 8 Puffer
My Puffers: Honey (SIP Cantaloupe): C. Travancoricus
Mad Max: P. Cochinchinensis
Apollo: T. Miurus
(SIP Bonnie) Clyde: C. Irrubesco
SIP Orchid
Location (country): USA-Seattle, WA

Post by Bleedingheartmommy »

Welcome to the forum, and welcome to the hunt! These Irrubescos, as well as their cousin the lorteti have not been for sale in a year and a half roughly. I have been searching as long, speaking to every aquabid seller who once had them, every foreign and local wholesaler who once carried them, even the famed WetSpot tropical in nearby Oregon; have all told me the same thing: These puffers are hard to source responsibly, and the importer of them to the US is no longer available. I have been told to keep an eye out, but it's not likely in the next year and maybe longer. Beyond that issue is the weather. The last of our chances will end with the summer, as we are moving into the right season for them to be fished now, through July/August.

I have been chronicling my more recent parts of my journey lookig for my 'holey grail fish', if you search the forum you can read what the responses I have received have been!

Seriously, good luck- and now you're obligated to keep us posted, and if you find one (or more) tell us where ;) lol
"Genetics loads the gun, and environment pulls the trigger."-Brené Brown
Bleedingheartmommy
Figure 8 Puffer
My Puffers: Honey (SIP Cantaloupe): C. Travancoricus
Mad Max: P. Cochinchinensis
Apollo: T. Miurus
(SIP Bonnie) Clyde: C. Irrubesco
SIP Orchid
Location (country): USA-Seattle, WA

Post by Bleedingheartmommy »

I found a for sure line on lortetis, the other dwarf freshwater red eye puffer. I put my add up on classified. They are identical but the lortetis tend to be a little more social and a little more aggressive. However I have to place a min order of a 135pc box- so if I can't find a home for at lease 80 of them off the bat, I won't order bc I'm not trying to get into the business like that.
"Genetics loads the gun, and environment pulls the trigger."-Brené Brown
Jalisar
Puffer Fry
Location (country): United States STL. MO.

Post by Jalisar »

Well the hunt continues, yesterday was my birthday, and I thought certainly I would have found them by then. They are indeed very difficult to get your hands on, and technically their normal gathering season has come and gone already, OR if by any miracle is just now on its way out. With all of the natural disasters they have faced, their breeding homes might have been obliterated pushing them back, back, back, back to the future. From what I have gathered the irrubesco are right on the line of the endangered species list, but I have only heard this from a couple of sources.
With the lorterti, their more easily acquired, and not nearly as individually filled with personalities, apparently being more prolific in the wild lol.

NOW IF YOU GET A LINE on the red eye red tail and they say "You will need to buy 135pc box lot to get these" Your only reply need be, "So you are shipping those out later today or tomoro was it?"

Short of getting my wholesale/retail ID back, which I JUST let go this past year (go figger) I have talked to about everyone I know who could get them. I am about to talk myself into posing a challenge to one of the guys I get my other fish from.. Africans.. his motto is "if it is rare I can get it right away. IF it is impossible to get, then it may take me a week or so" I mean TECHNICALLY Sumatra is kinda, semi sorta almost ish if you squint and dream really big, the same general area so it should count right? Exactly. Plus I have a betta buddy with a farm over there, I have been considering asking if he would have his girls keep their eyes open for me in the shops. I really do hate bugging tooooo many more people, but I think polite will be getting tossed in the old sock drawer with my conscience and mortal compass lol.