Topaz puffer, care and feeding

A place to discuss general puffer care or news.
Purplefishkeeper
Puffer Fry
Location (country): England

Topaz puffer, care and feeding

Post by Purplefishkeeper »

Since getting my first tank 2 years ago, i have always wanted puffer fish. I have read lots about different ones but never seen them in my local shops.
Until recently, they had 2 for sale. I cant remember what he said they were but i had a fully cycled empty tank at home waiting for new fish (cycled with sponges out of my other tank and i tested water before getting new fish)

Anyway, they guy in the shop offered me them both at a cheaper price and I just couldn't say no.
Now i feel i dont know enough. I am upgrading them to a bigger tank as i know mine is a tad small, even though he said it would be ok.
He also said they were fully fresh water but i have read so much about water needing to be brackish.
No idea how old they are but they are around 4inch.

They both seem very healthy and happy from what i can tell. One does get a black belly at food time but not.long after is back white.
Only had them a few days and just had blood worm at the moment.

My tank is sand ans large gravel, lots of different plants and i made a small area near the back for hiding.
Currently only 70l but i have a 125l on the way.

How often should i feed them? I read about feeding raw prawns with shells? What else is good?

My other tank is a community tank, had it for 2 years and over half the fish are the ones i got at the start.
I always check water quailty and do regular water changes.

Im just looking for feeding advice and how to make the water brackish if needed.

I will attach some photos tomorrow. I am love them so much and just want them to be happy and healthy.
Pufferpunk
Queen Admin
My Puffers: Filbert, the 12" T lineatus
Punkster, the 4" red T miurus
Mongo, the 4" A modestus
2 T biocellatus
C valentini
C coranata
C papuan
Also kept:
lorteti
DPs
suvattii
burrfish
T niphobles
Location (country): USA, Greenville, SC

Re: Topaz puffer, care and feeding

Post by Pufferpunk »

[welcome]
Yeah, photos would help for a proper ID.
You are getting sleepy... you only hear the sound of my voice... you must do water changes... water changes... water changes... water changes...

"The solution to pollution is dilution!"