Dwarf Puffer and larger crayfish?

A place to discuss general puffer care or news.
TankGirl
Puffer Fry
Location (country): United States

Dwarf Puffer and larger crayfish?

Post by TankGirl »

Hello everyone! I'm brand new here. I have two DP in a 20 gallon tank with lots of plants (both live and fake), a 40g filter, heater and caves. They are eating snails, and there are a couple of ghost shrimp in there, I figured they'd eat them, but not yet. So, in my 75 gallon I have a fully grown (she's close to two years old now) white crayfish, not the little dwarf variety, but a regular sized crayfish. She doesn't hunt (she's surrounded by fish, and couldn't be bothered as I feed her bloodworms, shrimp, and algae wafers), or bother anyone, but my Pleco is getting larger and HE bothers HER and I want to move her. I can't set up another tank and stay married (lololol) so I was thinking about moving her into the 20 gallon with the two tiny puffers. Any experience with this from anyone on this forum? I am almost positive that she won't harm THEM, but can THEY harm her at her size? Would they even try, with her being so much larger than they are? Any thoughts or experiences with this, anyone? Thanks for reading and any advice.
Pufferpunk
Queen Admin
My Puffers: Filbert, the 12" T lineatus
Punkster, the 4" red T miurus
Mongo, the 4" A modestus
2 T biocellatus
C valentini
C coranata
C papuan
Also kept:
lorteti
DPs
suvattii
burrfish
T niphobles
Location (country): USA, Greenville, SC

Re: Dwarf Puffer and larger crayfish?

Post by Pufferpunk »

Crayxs are opportunistic feeders--they will eat anything they can catch. Even a sleeping puffer.
You are getting sleepy... you only hear the sound of my voice... you must do water changes... water changes... water changes... water changes...

"The solution to pollution is dilution!"
hadla
Mbu Puffer
My Puffers: 2 gsps and a big Stars and stripes
Location (country): California

Post by hadla »

I'd get rid of the pleco
Never trust big puffers. The fingers you save may be your own. -RTR
TankGirl
Puffer Fry
Location (country): United States

Post by TankGirl »

Pufferpunk wrote: Mon Jan 09, 2017 9:22 am Crayxs are opportunistic feeders--they will eat anything they can catch. Even a sleeping puffer.
Thank you for the reply; and I definitely don't want to chance that. She's been a lazy girl, but that doesn't mean she won't take an opportunity if arrises. I do have an empty Fluval Edge, 6 gallon...I will do some research and see if she would be ok in there. Thanks again, Pufferpunk.
Won't re-home Toothless, the Pleco, as he's part of the family after all these years and we all enjoy him so much. Just have to figure out what I can do with the Fluval 6 (empty), the 20 (2 DP, snails, and shrimp), the 40 breeder (male Betta, 5 rio tetra, African Dwarf frogs) and the 75 (pleco, crayfish, tetra, and neons) to get all of them happy. I think that Fluval is gorgeous, but bad for Betta and frogs with that glass on top, too small for 2 DP's, maybe too small for crayfish...will go read about that now... Thanks hadla :)