new to pufferisum!

A place to discuss general puffer care or news.
Kindredspirit
Puffer Fry
Location (country): Sacramento California

new to pufferisum!

Post by Kindredspirit »

Hey guys!

I had to cull my fancy goldfish this morning and still upset. I had him three years. His name was jubi. I tried everything and probably should have culled him long before today. Jubi had swim bladder problems.

I only have a 20gal and it is all I have room for. Is that OK for one puffer? Just started researching about Puffers. I know he will have to be alone. I have some questions.

My tank is already cycled from my jubi and parameters are good as I tested them. Can I use this tank? It's still running until I get something in there. Or should I start over?

It's fresh water. I will need to make it brackish from what I'm reading. I need a formula for this please.

I need food recommendations and do I need a heater?

Thanks guys!
Pufferpunk
Queen Admin
My Puffers: Filbert, the 12" T lineatus
Punkster, the 4" red T miurus
Mongo, the 4" A modestus
2 T biocellatus
C valentini
C coranata
C papuan
Also kept:
lorteti
DPs
suvattii
burrfish
T niphobles
Location (country): USA, Greenville, SC

Re: new to pufferisum!

Post by Pufferpunk »

[welcome]
Not all puffers are brackish. Actually, many more are FW, than BW.
Brackish water mixing: http://www.thepufferforum.com/forum/vie ... =8&t=19348

I with I could offer you a link to our Pufferpedia--it was the best resource for info with photos of individual species but we lost it when the site was upgraded. I believe you can still find the info here. You'll have to do a search for photos of the fish: http://www.thepufferforum.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=74
You are getting sleepy... you only hear the sound of my voice... you must do water changes... water changes... water changes... water changes...

"The solution to pollution is dilution!"