Experienced fish-keeper worst nightmare.

A place to discuss general puffer care or news.
TheStig
Figure 8 Puffer
My Puffers: DP
Location (country): USA

Experienced fish-keeper worst nightmare.

Post by TheStig »

My tank sprang a slow leak on Wed night. O_o Got to Petco 8 mins before closing, drove there like a hellion on wheels! Transferred gravel, decor and plants to new tank, after putting the fish in 2 holding containers. My poor Otos were so stressed, but they were hard to net! Did a 50% WC during the transfer, but wow... that was stressful. They are all fine, by the way.

I have a empty 5 gal that is my hospital tank, spare filter & heater, with extra filter media in my current filter.. so it wldn't be the end of the world if the pet store was closed.

I have lost my desire to get a second tank in case this happens again. I was planning on eventually getting a GSP in a 40B, full marine. But what am I to do if that tank leaks?!! Do u have salt water sitting around, in case of emergency? How many gals?

(You know, I started out just wanting simple as possible... my best friend convinced me to start a tank for DP and somehow I managed to acquire a heck load more STUFF than a simple tank, filter, heater, decor. All for a little 1 inch fish! Upgraded my filter n modded it, bought more decor, went thru *countless* plants, got cute little Otos n shrimp... got better heater, light, 'emergency tank', and better test kit... started a snail farm. WTH. 2 LFS know me by name, and one even recognised my voice over the phone. Help me.)
10 gallon: 1 dwarf puffer, 3 Otos, 1 amano shrimp

Don't let your wet friend suffer - PufferPunk
TheStig
Figure 8 Puffer

Re: Experienced fish-keeper worst nightmare.

Post by TheStig »

Oh, not to mention liquid ferts for plants, and medication too! *lol* Oh geebus. So much for keeping it budget-friendly. It breaks my heart now, seeing how majority of people don't do it right by the fish, thereby incurring high mortality rates... cos, oh, it was just a coupla bucks. :( That makes me so mad... or not providing optimal housing, care, environment cos they cldn't be bothered to research, learn or change. Grr!

Pufferpunk
Queen Admin
My Puffers: Filbert, the 12" T lineatus
Punkster, the 4" red T miurus
Mongo, the 4" A modestus
2 T biocellatus
C valentini
C coranata
C papuan
Also kept:
lorteti
DPs
suvattii
burrfish
T niphobles
Location (country): USA, Greenville, SC

Post by Pufferpunk »

I think a leaking tank is a rarity. In my 40 years of fishkeeping, it has never happened to me.
You are getting sleepy... you only hear the sound of my voice... you must do water changes... water changes... water changes... water changes...

"The solution to pollution is dilution!"
TOPuffers
Dwarf Puffer
My Puffers: 3 pea puffers/dwarf puffers in a 20 G freshwater planted tank
29 G community tank with plecos, bamboo shrimp, khuli loaches, swordtails, neon tetras and apple snails
Location (country): Toronto, Canada

Post by TOPuffers »

Good job saving your fish! What you describe truly IS a nightmare.

I agree 100% with you regarding folks that don't take the time or resources to give their underwater pets the very best. No matter HOW big a tank we give them, or how we plant and sculpt, in the end we are selfish souls because we cannot replace the tremendous natural world they come from. We can just do our best give them the best possible captive life.

People do lose sight of that.

Sorry i rambled - glad your fishies are OK :)
If there is magic on this planet, it is contained in water - Loren Eiseley
scpion
Fahaka Puffer
My Puffers: 23in Mbu, donated to SEA Aquarium
4in Fahaka 150g
Location (country): singapore

Post by scpion »

I once had my spray bar somehow pointed upwards in the midnight... Effectively displacing about 1/3 of my tank water.. It didn't help when my floor is parquet and furniture made of chipboard... Half my room was destroyed..
I am not a Troll, I am just pissed..!
TheStig
Figure 8 Puffer

Post by TheStig »

No, TOPuffer, I love ur ramble. Too often we see folks take on a fish w/o the means or resources to provide adequate care, housing, etc for them, because of ego.

I can go on and on, to add to your rant too! But yes, thankfully all ended well.

Scpion, that is rough to wake to up to! Were the occupants OK? That sucks about the flooring! (I was intrigued that you used "parquet" cos nobody in the US says that... then I noticed ur location. I'm from Singapore too)

Hillehaus
Figure 8 Puffer
My Puffers: 1 GSP.
Location (country): United States

Post by Hillehaus »

I've got a 40b saltwater tank. I keep a 5-10gal reserve at any given time of salt water. not enough to fill a new tank but, enough to get me by if there is a leak and I have to do an emergency tank setup.

contingency plans are always a good idea. Fortunately 5 gal is enough for me. I have 2 local stores that sell salt water. If you don't have that luxury, perhaps go the 55-gal reserve drum filled w/backup water.

But yeah, leaks are pretty rare. that's really unfortunate. Sorry it happened, glad your fish are ok!!!

Hmmm the day my tank leaks, I suppose, will be the same day I replace the carpet in the basement. Never really considered the impact of a large(ish) leak.