Bloodworms

A place to discuss general puffer care or news.
Boku88
Puffer Fry
My Puffers: Figure 8 Puffers, Green Spotted Puffers and Dwarf Puffers
Location (country): Malaysia

Bloodworms

Post by Boku88 »

I was feeding my puffers today (F8 and DP) and I realised something, fish especially puffers love bloodworms. I was feeding the F8s mysis shrimp and Krill today as opposed to blood worms and I noticed that eventhough they still went for the shrimps, they were not as crazy and enthusiastic compared to when they were fed bloodworms. They did not rush and go crazy trying to gobble up as much as they can. And because i defrosted two mysis cubes, I went to feed my DPs. The look on their faces when i dropped in mysis was priceless, they looked disappointed. Staring at the mysis and then back at me like saying "Seriously?". So my question is could it be the colour or the taste that appeals to puffers?
Pufferpunk
Queen Admin
My Puffers: Filbert, the 12" T lineatus
Punkster, the 4" red T miurus
Mongo, the 4" A modestus
2 T biocellatus
C valentini
C coranata
C papuan
Also kept:
lorteti
DPs
suvattii
burrfish
T niphobles
Location (country): USA, Greenville, SC

Re: Bloodworms

Post by Pufferpunk »

LOL, it's like comparing steak to cereal!
You are getting sleepy... you only hear the sound of my voice... you must do water changes... water changes... water changes... water changes...

"The solution to pollution is dilution!"
TOPuffers
Dwarf Puffer
My Puffers: 3 pea puffers/dwarf puffers in a 20 G freshwater planted tank
29 G community tank with plecos, bamboo shrimp, khuli loaches, swordtails, neon tetras and apple snails
Location (country): Toronto, Canada

Post by TOPuffers »

My DPs act the same way when I feed mysis shrimp, they look so hurt and offended that I would offer them something that is not their absolute favorite!

I think you are right about the color affecting their choice of food - our DPs pick out the reddest, brightest worms to eat first :)
If there is magic on this planet, it is contained in water - Loren Eiseley
Boku88
Puffer Fry

Post by Boku88 »

Yeahhh, and it is so funny looking at them try to tackle the bloodworms that are way to big for their mouths. Even the tiniest and youngest of them thinks that they are able to down huge red ones. DPs in my opinion are way fussier than F8s, like F8's just enjoy almost everything; bloodworms (obv), krill, mysis, brine shrimp and ghost shrimps. The worst part is that one of my F8 destroyed my plastic jellyfish and made lots of holes in my java fern (i suspect its because there were snails on it). Completely decimated my mts population.
Boku88
Puffer Fry

Post by Boku88 »

And i do believe colour plays a role because when I drop in krills, I noticed that the F8's rush towards the reddest ones. In addition to that, they are extremely fond of those red laser pointers. My biggest F8 goes nuts trying to catch the red laser.