Rate my puffer tank

A place to discuss general puffer care or news.
bigpuff
Figure 8 Puffer
Location (country): United States

Rate my puffer tank

Post by bigpuff »

So my two new GSP's have been happily living in their new tank for a few days now. I thought it would be cool if you guys could rate my tank since I've never owned puffers before. Maybe tell me what's good, what could be better/more interesting for them. Just trying to provide the most enriching (or least boring) environment possible.

They seem to spend a lot of time pacing up and down the glass in the left corner, next to the tree. I know thats associated with bordem but they started doing it right when I put them into the tank before they even explored it, which leads me to believe it isn't bordem. I read an RTR post that said they do it for exercise and another way to provide that exercise is via current (they play in it), so I lowered the flow in that powerhead you can see on the left as it was too strong before - time will tell if they notice!

Aside from that, they like that tree the most. I've seen them in the rock cave a couple times. I rarely see them in the log or the fake rock cave on the right hand side.

Rate away!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
bigpuff
Figure 8 Puffer

Re: Rate my puffer tank

Post by bigpuff »

Anyone? :)
Pufferpunk
Queen Admin
My Puffers: Filbert, the 12" T lineatus
Punkster, the 4" red T miurus
Mongo, the 4" A modestus
2 T biocellatus
C valentini
C coranata
C papuan
Also kept:
lorteti
DPs
suvattii
burrfish
T niphobles
Location (country): USA, Greenville, SC

Post by Pufferpunk »

Sorry, I missed this! It looks nice & balanced. I'd add a background to it. How do the fish like it?
You are getting sleepy... you only hear the sound of my voice... you must do water changes... water changes... water changes... water changes...

"The solution to pollution is dilution!"
bigpuff
Figure 8 Puffer

Post by bigpuff »

I was going to ask about a background actually. What do they help with? What sort of background?

The fish seem to like it! I get bored of the decorations, as they will, so I'll change it around every now and again. Just wanted to make sure I had the right decoration/free space balance.
bigpuff
Figure 8 Puffer

Post by bigpuff »

Glass surfing is much less frequent than a couple weeks ago, but they still love to surf up and down that left side of the tank. Is it worth getting another big plant like the one on the right side to cover this corner? They only ever glass surf at the sides.
Hillehaus
Figure 8 Puffer
My Puffers: 1 GSP.

Post by Hillehaus »

I think it would help. Another plant certainly cant hurt.