Advise on RO/DI and LR

A place to discuss general puffer care or news.
BedScien
Green Spotted Puffer
My Puffers: Green Spotted Puffer (marine, 100L / 26 US GAL)
Location (country): England

Advise on RO/DI and LR

Post by BedScien »

Could I have water for my RO/DI coming in from my garden hose? What would I need to do to make this happen?

Also, I'm thinking of saving money buy running a FOWLR with no sump. Would this work out, do you think? Have any of you done it?
mblahahahaha mmmyeessss

'It's true because I read it on the internet' - Everyone
Welch4
Fahaka Puffer
My Puffers: 1 GSP
Location (country): USA

Re: Advise on RO/DI and LR

Post by Welch4 »

Not sure what you meant so ill respond to both scenarios.

1. you would like an RO/DI unit to be fed from a garden hose. You just need an adapter from your garden hose to whatever inlet your rodi system has. I believe the BRS systems come with fitments for any scenario.

2. You would like to have RO/DI coming out of your garden hose. You would need to install a whole home ro/di system (extremely expensive and not recommended to drink) or install an rodi system that goes into a holding barrel then a pump in this barrel connects to your garden hose.

hopefully this wasn't too confusing
Forget other advice about puffers you don't hear here - Pufferpunk
Pufferpunk
Queen Admin
My Puffers: Filbert, the 12" T lineatus
Punkster, the 4" red T miurus
Mongo, the 4" A modestus
2 T biocellatus
C valentini
C coranata
C papuan
Also kept:
lorteti
DPs
suvattii
burrfish
T niphobles
Location (country): USA, Greenville, SC

Post by Pufferpunk »

Hubby set up a separate spigot for my WC/RODI system. It helps when you're married to a pipefitter! ;)

You are getting sleepy... you only hear the sound of my voice... you must do water changes... water changes... water changes... water changes...

"The solution to pollution is dilution!"
Hillehaus
Figure 8 Puffer
My Puffers: 1 GSP.
Location (country): United States

Post by Hillehaus »

Home depot has an amazing supply of all the necessary fittings to hook up to a spigot. No problems here.

You can also get away with running a FOWLR without a sump. Sumps are recommended for many reasons but, you'll get along just fine if you are diligent about your maintenance. What size tank are we talking?

What a sump gets you (not a complete list, just a generalization):
1) more water volume for stability
2) a place to store your unsightly equipment
3) option to grow macro algae out of the display tank
4) easy place to have auto top off set up
5) a nice clean looking display tank

What sumpless gets you:
1) less water volume
2) equipment (i.e. heater, skimmer) is in your display tank taking up room.
3) less equipment costs
4) if you change your mind later it could get tricky and more expensive than if you initially set up a sump.

My 40g Breeder is sumpless.
BedScien
Green Spotted Puffer
My Puffers: Green Spotted Puffer (marine, 100L / 26 US GAL)
Location (country): England

Post by BedScien »

Welch4 wrote:Not sure what you meant so ill respond to both scenarios.

hopefully this wasn't too confusing
Not confusing - Perfect answer! Thanks! - Option one was what I was thinking of.
Pufferpunk wrote:Hubby set up a separate spigot for my WC/RODI system. It helps when you're married to a pipefitter! ;)
Aquarist and pipefitter has to be a match made in heaven.
Hillehaus wrote:Home depot has an amazing supply of all the necessary fittings to hook up to a spigot. No problems here.

You can also get away with running a FOWLR without a sump. Sumps are recommended for many reasons but, you'll get along just fine if you are diligent about your maintenance. What size tank are we talking?

My 40g Breeder is sumpless.
[/quote]

100L (26.5 US GAL) with a single GSP who is about 1"-2" and hasn't grown in the couple of years I've had him so I'm wondering if that's it for him.

I have an undrilled tank and I'm useless at DIY but would give it a shot before buying a tank with a sump for about £500-700 ($760 - 1060) (which is just about possible but not something to be taken lightly, especially on top of the costs of LR and an RODI system)

I have until this time next year to get myself set up. After that there will be absolutely no chance of me having time to make any complicated changes to my tank.
mblahahahaha mmmyeessss

'It's true because I read it on the internet' - Everyone
Hillehaus
Figure 8 Puffer
My Puffers: 1 GSP.
Location (country): United States

Post by Hillehaus »

A tank with a sump is obviously better than one without. I personally don't have a sump on my 40g breeder that has a 3" GSP and a small clean up crew. I just monitor, monitor some more, and change water when necessary. If you have a glass cutting shop near you, I'm sure they'd be able to drill your tank for a small fee.

You could take an undrilled tank bought on sale (here we have big box stores that occasionally have a $1 per gallon sale)throw some live rock in there, get a pretty nice HOB skimmer and a cheap but, effective RODI system for well, well under the cost of buying a tank/sump combo alone...which you would then have to buy a RODI system, skimmer, and live rock for.

I'd say take your time, hunt for deals. The second hand market is great for aquarium supplies. someone, somewhere is always breaking down a tank. I just bought a couple corals from a guy that bought a complete 55 gallon reef setup for $600 from someone who was moving and couldn't take it with them. Deals are there if you have time.