Hiding puffer?

A place to discuss general puffer care or news.
Peanut21
Puffer Fry
My Puffers: GSP - Peanut
GSP - Fat Louie
Location (country): England

Hiding puffer?

Post by Peanut21 »

Hello, I got 2 GSP's last Friday who are 5 months old. The tank was cycled and water was perfect before putting them in. The tank they're in is freshwater as that's what they were in at the shop , however I'll be moving them gradually to brackish next week. The tank is probably 10 times the size of the one they were in at the shop.

They have loads of hiding spots and places to explore but one of them always stays under the filter. I also noticed a pattern last night of him swimming the exact same pattern and then returning to the back of the tank under the filter. When I feed them, he comes to front and eats fine. He looks healthy too, no greyness to him. Anyone know why he just keeps hiding?
The other one is always at the front trying to get attention. I did wonder if ones bullying the other but when they are near each other, they're fine. They share food and swim together but one will always go back to under the filter at some point. What can I do?
Thanks!
Pufferpunk
Queen Admin
My Puffers: Filbert, the 12" T lineatus
Punkster, the 4" red T miurus
Mongo, the 4" A modestus
2 T biocellatus
C valentini
C coranata
C papuan
Also kept:
lorteti
DPs
suvattii
burrfish
T niphobles
Location (country): USA, Greenville, SC

Re: Hiding puffer?

Post by Pufferpunk »

I noticed that when I took a fish from a tank that was much too small for it, the fish would only swim in a small circle, about the size of the small tank. It took about a week, for the fish to realize it had more room than it did in it's other tank. Make sure you have lots of decor, breaking up lines of sight, for the fish to explore. Can you post a pic of your tank?
You are getting sleepy... you only hear the sound of my voice... you must do water changes... water changes... water changes... water changes...

"The solution to pollution is dilution!"