Why can't I put more than 2 GSP's in a 55g?

A place to discuss general puffer care or news.
bigpuff
Figure 8 Puffer
Location (country): United States

Why can't I put more than 2 GSP's in a 55g?

Post by bigpuff »

According to AqAdvisor, two green spotted puffers in my 55 gallon tank would put it at 176% stocking level. It also says my canister filter (SunSun 303-B) only has the capacity to do 54% of what's needed. This doesn't seem right to me at all, can someone explain?

I know people who keep a couple puffers in similar sized mbuna tanks, so I don't see how the above statistics can possibly be correct. The stocking level cannot be anywhere near 100% considering puffers are tiny relative to the tank size, and you could easily have 5 without crowing their swimming room. Though, I'm not a puffer expert so if this is the case please explain!

If AqAdvisor is wrong, how many could I realistically fit in the tank? I'm ok with getting an additional filter if that is the only issue.
Pufferpunk
Queen Admin
My Puffers: Filbert, the 12" T lineatus
Punkster, the 4" red T miurus
Mongo, the 4" A modestus
2 T biocellatus
C valentini
C coranata
C papuan
Also kept:
lorteti
DPs
suvattii
burrfish
T niphobles
Location (country): USA, Greenville, SC

Re: Why can't I put more than 2 GSP's in a 55g?

Post by Pufferpunk »

1st of all, puffers need a highly complex environment, which means lots of decor which means less swimming room. Imagine 2 Nerf footballs maneuvering around that. Here was my 55g with 2 adult GSPs. I actually also had a Ceylon puffer in there but I really felt bad for their lack of room. Even with just 2 GSPs, it looked crowded.

You are getting sleepy... you only hear the sound of my voice... you must do water changes... water changes... water changes... water changes...

"The solution to pollution is dilution!"
bigpuff
Figure 8 Puffer
Location (country): United States

Post by bigpuff »

I see, thank you!

What about the filtration?
El Scorpio
Fahaka Puffer
My Puffers: none, at the moment...
Location (country): Louisville, KY.

Post by El Scorpio »

Since you're wanting GSP's the goal, hopefully, is to convert them to full marine where they will thrive. Then, you can go with a FOWLR (Fish Only With Live Rock) setup; with enough live rock and a few power heads, mechanical filtration becomes unnecessary.

In the meantime, I would suggest over-filtration; puffers are messy eaters that produce a lot of waste. I would put at least a 75G filter on a 55, until you can get enough live rock and get it going.
bigpuff wrote:I see, thank you!

What about the filtration?