Fishless Cycling - Advice Needed ASAP!

A place to discuss general puffer care or news.
Deltaphi
Puffer Fry
Location (country): Canada

Fishless Cycling - Advice Needed ASAP!

Post by Deltaphi »

Hello,

So my LFS ordered in 3 DPS for me and they have finally arrived! Since it took them a month to get them in, I assumed the tank would be cycled and ready for them when they arrived..

So I have been cycling my tank for 30 days now using pure ammonia. Based on a thorough guide posted on another forum, I dosed my ammonia up to 4ppm and continued to do so every time my ammo fell to 0. Needless to say my nitrites have been off the charts (API Master Test Kit) since day 9 (I've been seeing nitrates as well since day 8 ). Based on some advice from members at the planted tank forum, I did a 100% water change and only dosed to 1ppm. Within 24h I was back to 0 ammo (ammo dropped to 0 within 12 hours), 0 nitrite. I didn't feel that 1ppm would be representative of 3 DPS, so I tested my biofilter by adding 2ppm ammonia - after 24h I have 0 ammo, but 2 ppm nitrite...

Now my LFS won't hold my DPS for much longer (today would be best).
Do you think my 1ppm biofilter would be sufficient for 3 baby DPS? I'm kinda at a loss of what to do here, so any advice would be appreciated!
Pufferpunk
Queen Admin
My Puffers: Filbert, the 12" T lineatus
Punkster, the 4" red T miurus
Mongo, the 4" A modestus
2 T biocellatus
C valentini
C coranata
C papuan
Also kept:
lorteti
DPs
suvattii
burrfish
T niphobles
Location (country): USA, Greenville, SC

Re: Fishless Cycling - Advice Needed ASAP!

Post by Pufferpunk »

Please read the fishless cycling article here:
It says once you start seeing nitrite, you must cut your ammonia in half. When you start seeing nitrate, you are ready to go. IMO, I think you'll be OK after a 90% WC but you can always add a bottle of Safestart, if you're concerned.
library/water-filtration/fishless-cycling/
library/water-filtration/emergencycycle/
You are getting sleepy... you only hear the sound of my voice... you must do water changes... water changes... water changes... water changes...

"The solution to pollution is dilution!"
Deltaphi
Puffer Fry
Location (country): Canada

Post by Deltaphi »

Pufferpunk wrote:Please read the fishless cycling article here:
It says once you start seeing nitrite, you must cut your ammonia in half. When you start seeing nitrate, you are ready to go. IMO, I think you'll be OK after a 90% WC but you can always add a bottle of Safestart, if you're concerned.
library/water-filtration/fishless-cycling/
library/water-filtration/emergencycycle/
Okay, thank you very much. I did a 100% water change and I'll pick them up later this afternoon.
Pufferpunk
Queen Admin
My Puffers: Filbert, the 12" T lineatus
Punkster, the 4" red T miurus
Mongo, the 4" A modestus
2 T biocellatus
C valentini
C coranata
C papuan
Also kept:
lorteti
DPs
suvattii
burrfish
T niphobles
Location (country): USA, Greenville, SC

Post by Pufferpunk »

Just be sure to keep an eye on the parameters for a couple of weeks.
You are getting sleepy... you only hear the sound of my voice... you must do water changes... water changes... water changes... water changes...

"The solution to pollution is dilution!"