puffer bites?!

A place to discuss general puffer care or news.
AquaMike
Dwarf Puffer
My Puffers: *1 pea puffer (F)
*1 borneensis red-eye DP (M)
*1 palembang puffer
Location (country): CT, USA

puffer bites?!

Post by AquaMike »

While I was netting out some dragon puffer poop yesterday my little guy tried nipping my finger. Only once, and then I think he realized he made a mistake. However, it was meal time, and he didn't eat yesterday, and he has only been going on every other day for a few weeks now. I got a little nervous, and luckily he didn't get me. Just wondering what kind of damage he could possibly do. He has never done this before, is not scared of me, and I can get close enough to pet him if I chose to do so (which I don't). I did get a little courageous, and slightly stupid, a couple of weeks ago and tried hand feeding him some krill, and was successful. I've also been trying to get a good view of his chompers during feeding time, which is tough, but got a few glimpses in there.

Also curious if any of you have had your puffers bite you, and what the result was. I think a Fahaka would scare the bejeezus out of me if he came after my hands.
Welch4
Fahaka Puffer
My Puffers: 1 GSP
Location (country): USA

Re: puffer bites?!

Post by Welch4 »

My 3" gsp has drawn blood before. This was when I was making sure he hadn't puffed with air after jumping out of the tank one day. Typically I avoid putting my hand in the tank always using feeding tongs and long handled tools. Occasionally I do need to put my hands in the tank for maintenance. He usually stays away if my whole hand is in the water but If I am not paying attention and have part of a finger below the surface he will bite every time.
Forget other advice about puffers you don't hear here - Pufferpunk
Master of Puffers
Green Spotted Puffer
My Puffers: target puffer

fahaka

6 dwarf puffers
Location (country): La Belle Province

Post by Master of Puffers »

I was bitten by a Peacock Puffer back in the day and that hurt.

Now I use tongs to feed though a few faves do get hand fed mainly the fahakas, Any in tank maintaince is performed by pufferghoti while I distract the fish with food.
A kiss on the hand may be quite continental
But puffers are a girl`s best friend.
Emikawar
Puffer Fry
Location (country): bangkok

Post by Emikawar »

The information needed me greatly.