please help me rekindle my passion

A place to discuss general puffer care or news.
BedScien
Green Spotted Puffer
My Puffers: Green Spotted Puffer (marine, 100L / 26 US GAL)
Location (country): England

please help me rekindle my passion

Post by BedScien »

I'm wondering if you guys have moments like I'm having now? And if so, what helps you get through them?

(I'm hungover and tired so please forgive the ramble)

Though I try hard to give my fish the life it needs and wants, the amount of time and effort I put into my fish tank very often seems to be insufficient. Also, in about a year I'm set to be busier than ever studying at uni and working an involved, often intense job.

And sometimes, frustratingly, nothing seems to make much of a difference to my puffer - I know fish are simple creatures but all mine seems to do is pace the side of the tank. Often, honestly and regretfully, I just feel bad for my puffer, all cooped up, and I get stressed about the tank.

I have plans I am carrying out soon on this tank and big ideas for future tanks but sometimes feel I'm losing the spark that drove me to create those plans.I feel selfish to say this but I need something back from this hobby. What I certainly need is a healthy tank and a happy fish and to know I'm doing well at what I'm doing. I don't feel like that at the moment.

Maybe my current plans I have will help me, but for now I just need some inspiration or advice or something. So, can you please help me rekindle my passion? (For example, why puffers are awesome and what motivates you through difficulties in the the hobby :) )
mblahahahaha mmmyeessss

'It's true because I read it on the internet' - Everyone
Welch4
Fahaka Puffer
My Puffers: 1 GSP
Location (country): USA

Re: please help me rekindle my passion

Post by Welch4 »

Watching them eat something new or exploring is probably my favorite. Changing the decor or rescaping gives them new areas to explore even though they are in the same tank. Watching them scan with both eyes then seeing both eyes zero in on something they think is food is always fun for me to watch. Honestly what does it for me is rolling out of bed and having my GSP a foot away from me buzzing at the glass saying "good morning, please feed me" in its very puffery way. If you know you are going to be very busy you can try to alter your setup so you have as little upkeep as possible. I'm just wrapping up with Diana Walstad's Ecology of the Planted Aquarium and and really looking forward to being able to provide a planed aquascape for my DPs that doesn't require much maintenance. Picking up the tank tomorrow!
Forget other advice about puffers you don't hear here - Pufferpunk
Iliveinazoo
Fahaka Puffer
My Puffers: 1xFigure 8
Location (country): UK

Post by Iliveinazoo »

Don't make it a chore, put the tank in a prominent position where you can watch and enjoy.

I think that too many people buy too many fish and collect too many tanks when they first start out in the hobby, I was definitely guilty of that, and the maintenance becomes a chore. When I had about 5 tanks I dreaded Sunday evenings but now I have only one tank I can sit back and enjoy it.

A lot of people will suggest excessive maintenance regimes and berate you for not following them but the truth of the matter is that you should monitor your water parameters and water change where necessary, after a while you will know how much water to change and how often by how much the water pollutes over time and/or by how much the algae builds up, knowing that you can adjust your maintenance regime to suit.

If your puffer paces constantly then it could be a number of things:
1. Water quality.
2. Tank is too small.
3. Not enough décor that provides overhangs for him/her to rest under.
4. It could be that he/she only paces when you go into the room because they can see you and get and excited because they know that you are the one that brings the food (when my Figure 8 sees me he comes out from under the Crypt leaf he hides under and paces around at the front of the tank until he decides that I'm not going to give him any food).
El Scorpio
Fahaka Puffer
My Puffers: none, at the moment...
Location (country): Louisville, KY.

Post by El Scorpio »

Absolutely, don't make it a chore. That's exactly what happened to me. I used to have my tank in my spare bedroom, kept it in pristine shape, heck I even enjoyed working on it. Then, we got a puppy, who got into literally everything, and I had to keep the door to the spare bedroom shut all the time. Tank was never in sight anymore, and, you know what they say - out of sight, out of mind. It wasn't something I could enjoy anymore, and had to go out of my way to work on it, which became a chore. In the end, my fish died, mushrooms died, aiptasia and bristle worms took it over. That tank has been torn down for almost two years now, and hasn't been up since. I've been fishless ever since...
BedScien
Green Spotted Puffer
My Puffers: Green Spotted Puffer (marine, 100L / 26 US GAL)
Location (country): England

Post by BedScien »

Thanks for all your support :) Very helpful
mblahahahaha mmmyeessss

'It's true because I read it on the internet' - Everyone
eieio
Mbu Puffer
My Puffers: *
The Congo Puffer:
"olivia"
and.......