Puffers on the IUCN Redlist

A place to discuss general puffer care or news.
Dadof4
Tech Team
My Puffers: 1 GSP (Microfiche) RIP, 1 Monotrete Turgidus (Leon) in a 30gal. 1 Monotrete suvattii in a 40 gal FW. 120 gallon BW with 3 juvenile Dragon Gobies (so cool). 55 gal with a 2" GSP named Hank. 180 gallon being set up for a Fahaka in the next few months!
Location (country): United States

Puffers on the IUCN Redlist

Post by Dadof4 »

First one, a rare one not seen in the pet trade.
Chelonodon pleurospilus - Endangered B2ab(iii) ver 3.1
http://www.iucnredlist.org/details/193734/0
Canthigaster jactator - Least Concerned status but on the list
http://www.iucnredlist.org/details/193663/0

I'll continue to add to the list when I find them. It was a surprisingly long list. :-?
"Darwin swings...annnnnnd a miss. Boy Jim, Chuck's suffered at the plate tonight. He's 0 for 3 and I'm not sure he's recovered from that shoulder pull a few weeks ago. I'll bet the front office is re-thinking that contract."
hadla
Mbu Puffer
My Puffers: 2 gsps and a big Stars and stripes
Location (country): California

Re: Puffers on the IUCN Redlist

Post by hadla »

Dps are on it :(
Never trust big puffers. The fingers you save may be your own. -RTR
Pufftastic
Green Spotted Puffer
My Puffers: 1 x C travancoricus
Have also kept:
T biocellatus
Location (country): California USA

Post by Pufftastic »

hadla wrote:Dps are on it :(
Just make sure your DPs are tank bred. My LFS had to call the supplier for me to find out, and they're not wild caught. :D
Yo ho, yo ho, a puffer's life for me.
sgtmyers88
My Puffers: Green Spotted Puffers
Location (country): USA

Post by sgtmyers88 »

Disturbing find that the Aquarium Trade is also partially to blame. http://www.iucnredlist.org/details/summary/166591/0
WARNING: Puffers are mischievous little blimps with enchanting powers. You may not be content with having just one.
Dadof4
Tech Team
My Puffers: 1 GSP (Microfiche) RIP, 1 Monotrete Turgidus (Leon) in a 30gal. 1 Monotrete suvattii in a 40 gal FW. 120 gallon BW with 3 juvenile Dragon Gobies (so cool). 55 gal with a 2" GSP named Hank. 180 gallon being set up for a Fahaka in the next few months!
Location (country): United States

Post by Dadof4 »

The aquarium trade is only a little to blame on this one. Their habitat is being destroyed by polluted rainwater run off secondary to deforestation. This is a huge issue all over the world because the forestland is one of the primary filtration systems for rainwater and water ways are becoming less than the pristine environments that are needed by most of the fish on that list.
"Darwin swings...annnnnnd a miss. Boy Jim, Chuck's suffered at the plate tonight. He's 0 for 3 and I'm not sure he's recovered from that shoulder pull a few weeks ago. I'll bet the front office is re-thinking that contract."