Are large puffers happy in captivity?

A place to discuss general puffer care or news.
BedScien
Green Spotted Puffer
My Puffers: Green Spotted Puffer (marine, 100L / 26 US GAL)
Location (country): England

Are large puffers happy in captivity?

Post by BedScien »

I really really really really want to keep a porcupine puffer, no costs barred. (God knows why I love puffer fish so much - hardly seems like the first choice of pet for a vegan) but I'm worried about whether I can provide it with conditions good enough to keep it happy (or whatever the puffer equivalent is)

My GSP is treated really well but i feel so damn bad when s/he paces and paces and paces. I read that porcs can grow up to 50cm. I don't know if ANY plausible, affordable tank would be big enough to really satisfy a fish that big.

Also, after seeing a documentary last night where this puffer fish exhibited this bizzare mating behaviour, creating a huge 'crop circle' in the sand. I'd hate to be stopping my fish from living a full life.

God, I hope I'm wrong.
mblahahahaha mmmyeessss

'It's true because I read it on the internet' - Everyone
Arny
Mbu Puffer
Location (country): uk

Re: Are large puffers happy in captivity?

Post by Arny »

I know what you mean. If I had the space and money I'd get a 6ft x 3ft x 3ft tank for a porcy.
Welch4
Fahaka Puffer
My Puffers: 1 GSP
Location (country): USA

Post by Welch4 »

I am right there with you. It crushes me seeing porkies at my lfs and not being able to come home to one. But ive recently rehomed my gsp to a larger then minimum tank and still think it will be too small in a year or so. Dont want to have the same pitfalls with my future porky.
Forget other advice about puffers you don't hear here - Pufferpunk
Iliveinazoo
Fahaka Puffer
My Puffers: 1xFigure 8
Location (country): UK

Post by Iliveinazoo »

BedScien wrote:I really really really really want to keep a porcupine puffer, no costs barred. (God knows why I love puffer fish so much - hardly seems like the first choice of pet for a vegan) but I'm worried about whether I can provide it with conditions good enough to keep it happy (or whatever the puffer equivalent is)

My GSP is treated really well but i feel so damn bad when s/he paces and paces and paces. I read that porcs can grow up to 50cm. I don't know if ANY plausible, affordable tank would be big enough to really satisfy a fish that big.

Also, after seeing a documentary last night where this puffer fish exhibited this bizzare mating behaviour, creating a huge 'crop circle' in the sand. I'd hate to be stopping my fish from living a full life.

God, I hope I'm wrong.
That 'crop circle' was amazing I've never seen anything like it, if you managed to make a sculpture like that you'd be chuffed to bits! Puts my D.I.Y skills to shame I can tell you!

As for large puffers or fish in tanks, you could probably provide a large fish with adequate space for it to live out a full and healthy life but I could not keep a fish that grows any larger than 15cm because I don't think that I could provide a big enough tank that would still fit in with the decor of my home.

I'm currently looking at buying a 110cmx45cmx50cm tank and the maximum size fish that I am looking to put in it are approx. 8cm
BedScien
Green Spotted Puffer

Post by BedScien »

Thanks all for the responses, makes me happy to know I'm not alone in this.
If I do get one I'm thinking I'd want the tank to be in the area of 3000 litres. (that would be about 10x10x10 foot if it were in a cube) But I don't know....Just realised I've been thinking about this every single day for about half a year :O lol
mblahahahaha mmmyeessss

Arny
Mbu Puffer
Location (country): uk

Post by Arny »

BedScien wrote:Thanks all for the responses, makes me happy to know I'm not alone in this.
If I do get one I'm thinking I'd want the tank to be in the area of 3000 litres. (that would be about 10x10x10 foot if it were in a cube) But I don't know....Just realised I've been thinking about this every single day for about half a year :O lol
Hey Bed a 10x10x10ft tank would be 29,099.2 liters! :O
BedScien
Green Spotted Puffer

Post by BedScien »

Arny wrote:
BedScien wrote:Thanks all for the responses, makes me happy to know I'm not alone in this.
Hey Bed a 10x10x10ft tank would be 29,099.2 liters! :O
oh jesus! xD
well up until that hasty misculculation i has been planning 1m cube. Spot the dumb error.
Maybe a 1x1x3 might be a less dumb idea.
mblahahahaha mmmyeessss

BedScien
Green Spotted Puffer

Post by BedScien »

Arny wrote:I know what you mean. If I had the space and money I'd get a 6ft x 3ft x 3ft tank for a porcy.
You've kept a porc puffer, haven't you? Did he/she seem content?
mblahahahaha mmmyeessss

dma1976
Dwarf Puffer

Post by dma1976 »

I kept one in my 55 gallon for well over 5 years and he seemed very happy there.
BedScien
Green Spotted Puffer

Post by BedScien »

dma1976 wrote:I kept one in my 55 gallon for well over 5 years and he seemed very happy there.
Glad to hear that :) was there much pacing of the side of the tank? did you have much trouble with maintenance?
mblahahahaha mmmyeessss

BedScien
Green Spotted Puffer

Post by BedScien »

I'm afraid I'm going to have to do a shameless self-bump on this thread because I really need help on this question. I'll leave it alone after this, though.
mblahahahaha mmmyeessss

hadla
Mbu Puffer
My Puffers: 2 gsps and a big Stars and stripes
Location (country): California

Post by hadla »

Also curious about a porky living that long in a 55...
Never trust big puffers. The fingers you save may be your own. -RTR
dma1976
Dwarf Puffer

Post by dma1976 »

Sorry guys, I didn't see this....

Not much surfing the sides. He was just happy to eat I think. I got VW (because he looked like a VW Bug) in my early saltwater days because he was "cute" and went on my LFS advice for things (didn't spend much time on the Internet back then, didn't even have my own computer, and yes I'm dating myself a bit ;) ) he and my Picasso Trigger were buds and used to eat from my fingers.

Funny because he was happy and lived with a couple of Triggers, a Wrasse, Hogfish, Tomato Clown and even a Tang or two and a French Angel (not all at the sme time). I also had an Anenome in there for a while until my Picasso couldn't resist anymore. :redface: but again, I didnt know then.

I ran a wet/dry sump filter with bio balls and a protein skimmer (nothing fancy). I did not have any live rock, used bleached coral pieces that I changed out maybe once a month. I did a 15 gal water change every week or two with tap water with de-chlorinator.

Knowing what I know now I would defintley do things different. I would have plenty of places for him to explore, caves, etc. and give appropriate diet. Things are much different now than they were 15-20 yrs ago in the hobby. In looking back, I still think he was happy in his tank. After a tank move to a different house he stopped eating and that was the end for him.

I think with appropriate care you can have a happy Porc in a 55 gallon tank...... In fact I may be adopting an ill one from Petco tomorrow if she'll give him to me. My tank is empty now and if I have a tank, I have to have a puffer!

You should do it!
BedScien
Green Spotted Puffer

Post by BedScien »

Cool! Good to know! :)

Good luck with your new porcy if you choose to get him!!
mblahahahaha mmmyeessss