Figure 8 found in florida?

A place to discuss general puffer care or news.
Terrance
Fahaka Puffer
My Puffers: Retired Puffer Addict
Location (country): USA

Figure 8 found in florida?

Post by Terrance »

There is a hobbyist in florida that says he finds F8 frequently when looking for fishing bait at a beach in florida. Has anyone elae heard of F8 in U.S. waters? I thought these fish are found in asia.
Kind regards,
Terrance
chuckfriedrice
Fahaka Puffer
My Puffers: Petey my porcupine Puffer had him since 5/20/2011 about 7 inches now !
Location (country): Royal Palm Beach , Florida - USA

Re: Figure 8 found in florida?

Post by chuckfriedrice »

Ive never heard of them here! But it wouldnt supprise me , we get alot of species here that shouldnt be here . We have anacondas and piranas show up once in awhile in ponds . Pythons , snakeheads and lionfish are now invasive species here .
170G Picasso Trigger, snails,Damsels, Coral Beauty Angelfish and Diamond Goby .
http://www.youtube.com/user/chuckfriedrice?feature=mhee
Terrance
Fahaka Puffer
My Puffers: Retired Puffer Addict

Post by Terrance »

Chuck if decide to drop by Jupiter inlet beach FL, then that's where F8 are said to be found. You're not too far away.
Kind regards,
Terrance
chuckfriedrice
Fahaka Puffer
My Puffers: Petey my porcupine Puffer had him since 5/20/2011 about 7 inches now !
Location (country): Royal Palm Beach , Florida - USA

Post by chuckfriedrice »

Terrance wrote:Chuck if decide to drop by Jupiter inlet beach FL, then that's where F8 are said to be found. You're not too far away.
Heck thats like 15-30 mins depending how these damn snowbirds are driving, LMAO!!!
170G Picasso Trigger, snails,Damsels, Coral Beauty Angelfish and Diamond Goby .
http://www.youtube.com/user/chuckfriedrice?feature=mhee
RTR
Mentor
Location (country): East Coast, USA

Post by RTR »

The Gulf Stream carries exotic tropical marines up to New Jersey and the south coast of Long Island every year. That has been going on since I was a kid. The question is, have they establish a breeding population? My state (Maryland) now spends several million every year trying to control snakeheads and keep them out of prime bass fishing areas. Hobbyists can be real jerks, but the snakeheads are not from hobbyists, they were from new immigrants who saw no problem with dumping excess food fish into a local pond which overflowed into a Potomac River tributary.

Some day humans will grow up and maybe act civilized. But don't try holding your breath until it happens. Just don't dump any of your own pets. You can and should be personally responsible, but you alone do not have to make it worse than it already is.
Where's the fish? - Neptune
Corvus
Mentor

Post by Corvus »

Well, T. nigroviridis was found a few years ago in Lousiana, e.g. http://nas.er.usgs.gov/queries/FactShee ... iesID=2549 and if I remember right in Florida (can't find the link, though) and there's a number of other tropical pets, which have established populations in the Florida climate.

So, it's possible. However, he could also have made it up (I guess there are no pictures) or falsely identified one of the Florida puffer species as F8.
Give a man a fish, and he'll eat for a day. Give a fish a man, and he'll eat for weeks.
sgtmyers88
My Puffers: Green Spotted Puffers

Post by sgtmyers88 »

Oh wow! O_O
WARNING: Puffers are mischievous little blimps with enchanting powers. You may not be content with having just one.