any fish have a personality like a puffer?

A place to discuss general puffer care or news.
AquaMike
Dwarf Puffer
My Puffers: *1 pea puffer (F)
*1 borneensis red-eye DP (M)
*1 palembang puffer
Location (country): CT, USA

any fish have a personality like a puffer?

Post by AquaMike »

Puffers have grown to be my favorite type of fish. They always attract people in stores and aquariums. Puffers might not be as popular as clownfish (damn Nemo), but most people know of them and like them. Probably because of their unique funny looks. But when you see how they react and their personalities, good or bad, they are tough to match. My other favorite type of fish are eels, but puffers just aren't as reclusive. They will be out, up in your face, probably begging with those goofy puppy dog eyes (maybe even roll them for you).

Just wondering if anyone has had any other type of fish that have had similar type of personalities and connections to. Some people may say their betta or oscar. The only thing I've had that's been close were my African Dwarf Frogs. Funny little guys.
Pufferpunk
Queen Admin
My Puffers: Filbert, the 12" T lineatus
Punkster, the 4" red T miurus
Mongo, the 4" A modestus
2 T biocellatus
C valentini
C coranata
C papuan
Also kept:
lorteti
DPs
suvattii
burrfish
T niphobles
Location (country): USA, Greenville, SC

Re: any fish have a personality like a puffer?

Post by Pufferpunk »

I think the larger cichlids are my 2nd favorite personalities. Cute faces!
You are getting sleepy... you only hear the sound of my voice... you must do water changes... water changes... water changes... water changes...

"The solution to pollution is dilution!"
bertie 83
My Puffers: lineatus R.I.P, South American puffer. Valentini puffer, porcupine puffer.
Non puffer
Danios, Tetras, Redtail Rasporas,
Harlequins, CAE's, Yoyo
Loaches, Clown loaches ,Eels, various shrimp, tangs,wrasses, damsels, chromis
Location (country): Brighton, England

Post by bertie 83 »

My hawkfish is very puffer like but less bitey, he will rest on my hands or arms whilst I am foraging in his tank. My other favourites were my ram cichlids, so personable. I am so gutted to this day that I gave them up. They were a great source of income and would just watch me for hours whilst I was trying to figure out what they were thinking whilst they were watching me lol
It's amazing how easy maintenance is. If done regularly and thoroughly
Biff Malawi
Dwarf Puffer

Post by Biff Malawi »

I have a 7" female Jack Dempsey cichlid. She and I are always fighting over the decor. I had a cool tiki statue on top of her cave. Every day she would knock it off and bury it in the sand. She even dragged a huge plant from one end to the other every time I moved it back. I have a sand substrate with some crushed coral mixed in. She has picked all the coral bits out and piled them in one corner. She is awesome.
Stand Tall, Be Brave, Wait For The Signs
AquaMike
Dwarf Puffer
My Puffers: *1 pea puffer (F)
*1 borneensis red-eye DP (M)
*1 palembang puffer
Location (country): CT, USA

Post by AquaMike »

now that's funny with the Jack Dempsey
hadla
Mbu Puffer
My Puffers: 2 gsps and a big Stars and stripes
Location (country): California

Post by hadla »

Waiting for a video of the jack dempsey in action lol and also I can't wait to get a hawk fish for my tank!

Maybe the jack dempsey is looking for a career in tank redecorating XD
Never trust big puffers. The fingers you save may be your own. -RTR
RTR
Mentor
Location (country): East Coast, USA

Post by RTR »

I'll second the comments on the medium to large Cichlids, they are high personality fish, and like clownfish, may have personalities entirely at odds with their appearance. In SW, some of the puffer's near kin may also be high-personality fish, and like their kin can be best without being in a "community". Unfortunately, several of those need really big tanks also, and too rarely get them, so do not often do well in hobby captivity.
Where's the fish? - Neptune
LRU
Dwarf Puffer
Location (country): USA

Post by LRU »

For me, 'interesting fish' fall into a few categories.

One is interesting because of 'curiosity'. This is where puffers are for me.

Another is interesting because of mating behaviors. This is pretty much where my smaller cichlids like convicts fall - they are not curious about things but are fiercely protective of their territory/babies.

And then another is interesting because of quirky swimming or feeding or similar behaviors. This is why I like most gobies, because they hop, my scooter blenny because he scoots, and then my bichir because he chews food in a way that reminds me of my puppy back in the day.