keeping pond snails???

A place to discuss general puffer care or news.
BETTYBOO
Dwarf Puffer
Location (country): united kingdom

keeping pond snails???

Post by BETTYBOO »

i get pond snails from my lfs when ever i want them for free.can i keep them in a tupaware and change the water every few days?? they will only be in there 2 weeks at most then ill get more?
JRC3
Fahaka Puffer
My Puffers: F8(55g)
F8 (46g)
4-DP(29g)
Location (country): U.S.

Re: keeping pond snails???

Post by JRC3 »

I don't see why not.

You could also try a bucket and maybe a sponge filter and try breading them too.
There are many knowledgeable fish keepers on this forum willing to help and give great advice...The advice is free; What you choose to do with it gives it value.
bertie 83
My Puffers: lineatus R.I.P, South American puffer. Valentini puffer, porcupine puffer.
Non puffer
Danios, Tetras, Redtail Rasporas,
Harlequins, CAE's, Yoyo
Loaches, Clown loaches ,Eels, various shrimp, tangs,wrasses, damsels, chromis
Location (country): Brighton, England

Post by bertie 83 »

+1. Start a little snail farm
It's amazing how easy maintenance is. If done regularly and thoroughly
friskydingo
Puffer Fry
Location (country): United States.

Post by friskydingo »

snail farms are fun and easy. all you need is a ten gallon tank and a few snails that dont get eaten, as far as i know a bucket with a lid will work too as long as there is some kind of filtering going on, water replacement is a no no for sure it will damage the eggs. these snails are dirty creatures and are fully capable of living in still water (they can push a gas into thier shell and float straight up to the top for air if the water doesnt have enough) all they ever require from you is algae discs. i bet you will be amazed at the reproduction habits of these snails. once the first brood has hatched and grown to adulthood. you will find tons of little white jelly piles all over the place each one carrying between 30 eggs on up to a hundred or so each. at that point you can start feeding the adults to your puffers sparingly, you dont want to run to low and also they will continue to produce more eggs. i did this and had around 300 mature snails in a period of about 3 to 4 months. that doesnt include the large ammount my puffers ate.
nphilli31
Puffer Fry
My Puffers: 3 Green Spotted Puffers
Location (country): United States

Post by nphilli31 »

I am currently doing this myself. Have a 10 gallon planted aquarium with ramshorn and bladder snails. they do reproduce at alarming rates. By 2 weeks the bottom of the tank was covered in hundreds of tiny snails. started out with about 20 adult snails. most of them died within the first week. *dont know why* but after that its crazy how fast they reproduce.
So many water changes, so little time.
nphilli31
Puffer Fry
My Puffers: 3 Green Spotted Puffers
Location (country): United States

Post by nphilli31 »

although I do feed mine high calcium diet. Spinach and vacation feeders. to make their shells hard.
So many water changes, so little time.