Puffers hide their color when hunting?

A place to discuss general puffer care or news.
sgtmyers88
My Puffers: Green Spotted Puffers
Location (country): USA

Puffers hide their color when hunting?

Post by sgtmyers88 »

Okay what brings up this topic is due to the fact that I often observe one of my puffers yellow/green coloration fades away and he develops a dark U shaped area on his belly but only when he is studying pieces of rock. He also pecks around and stirs up the substrate when the same thing happens. His color returns to normal when he is not doing these things. This is a Marine GSP. Thoughts?
WARNING: Puffers are mischievous little blimps with enchanting powers. You may not be content with having just one.
sgtmyers88
My Puffers: Green Spotted Puffers
Location (country): USA

Re: Puffers hide their color when hunting?

Post by sgtmyers88 »

An update on his behavior: The goofball appears to be eating the sandy substrate! I will often observe him and out of the blue he will flinch and burp sand everywhere while also swimming around leaving a trail of sinking sand particles thru the water as if he had a bad case of dandruff! lol
Last edited by sgtmyers88 on Mon Aug 20, 2012 3:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
WARNING: Puffers are mischievous little blimps with enchanting powers. You may not be content with having just one.
nphilli31
Puffer Fry
My Puffers: 3 Green Spotted Puffers
Location (country): United States

Post by nphilli31 »

You know, i notice the same thing with mine when i feed them snails. They will go around with their spots faded slightly looking at snails. I haven't notice a dark spot on their belly but i will look next time. I think its just part of their behavior. I know also when they sleep they loose their spots somewhat. But as soon as they wake up the spots return. (Not an expert, mine might also have something wrong with them. lol, But i have noticed it with mine as well)
So many water changes, so little time.
RTR
Mentor
Location (country): East Coast, USA

Post by RTR »

Drab coloration while sleeping is a positive survival trait. It their likelihood of being seen and eaten.
Where's the fish? - Neptune