have MTS in my pea puffer tank!

A place to discuss general puffer care or news.
Dave-H
Puffer Fry
Location (country): USA

have MTS in my pea puffer tank!

Post by Dave-H »

Hi all -

I am new to puffers and new to this forum, but I have some experience with aquariums in general. I have a 10g tank with two pea puffers living in it. I know that's a little tight for them, but it's well planted and they seem very happy so I think they are ok so far. I created a little snail factory for them - a 2.5g tank downstairs with tons of ramshorns breeding away.

But, I noticed they haven't eaten all the ramshorns I've given them or even all the worms. Last night I checked the tank at 2am and sure enough, there were probably 30+ small MTS working their way up the glass. I have been told that MTS shells are too hard for these little guys, and it's not good for them. So, I was determined to keep them out but somehow they got in :)

Now I am trying to figure out what to do. I wonder anyone has any opinions on whether MTS are really so bad for the puffers? I could do a few things:

1) Do nothing, not worry about it.

2) Add more ramshorns and try to get them populating in there, and stop feeding the tank otherwise. Then the MTS population should decline somehwat.

3) More aggressive: put out a trap every night and try to pull MTS babies out constantly, and hope that the puffers do the rest. Will they every eliminate all of them? Doubtful :)

4) Restart the tank!!!

Is it really true that the MTS shells are hard and not good for the puffers? I have the tiniest puffers, the 'pea' puffers and some say that they will be ok with MTS and some don't. Their bellies seem to be full :)

thanks! I love puffers now! Dave
bertie 83
My Puffers: lineatus R.I.P, South American puffer. Valentini puffer, porcupine puffer.
Non puffer
Danios, Tetras, Redtail Rasporas,
Harlequins, CAE's, Yoyo
Loaches, Clown loaches ,Eels, various shrimp, tangs,wrasses, damsels, chromis
Location (country): Brighton, England

Re: have MTS in my pea puffer tank!

Post by bertie 83 »

Don't worry about it dps rarely or never crunch shells. They turn the snail over and slurp. Mts will turn over your substrate and consume left overs, they will also be a food source, if you want the population to decline cut back on feeding. They will not reproduce so fast and the dps will feast on them. Welcome to the forum fella
It's amazing how easy maintenance is. If done regularly and thoroughly
Dave-H
Puffer Fry

Post by Dave-H »

bertie 83 wrote:Don't worry about it dps rarely or never crunch shells. They turn the snail over and slurp. Mts will turn over your substrate and consume left overs, they will also be a food source, if you want the population to decline cut back on feeding. They will not reproduce so fast and the dps will feast on them. Welcome to the forum fella
Hey that is great to hear! I think what I'll do, then, is something like this:

1) Introduce the ramshorns snails into the tank, and see if they can get a little population going. That will help keep the tank clean, and that will help control the MTS populatoin

2) I will try to be super minimal about feeding them worms and try to leave zero residue, etc. Also that should keep the mts populatoin in check

Is there a concern about over feeding these guys? It seems like with snail population in the tank, they can just eat whenever they want!!

thanks, DAve
bertie 83
My Puffers: lineatus R.I.P, South American puffer. Valentini puffer, porcupine puffer.
Non puffer
Harlequins, CAE's, Yoyo

Post by bertie 83 »

If you are getting a big population of unwanted snails you are over feeding, just cut down and let your rams build up in your breeder, you can then feed them rams once the trumpets are right down
Dave-H
Puffer Fry

Post by Dave-H »

bertie 83 wrote:If you are getting a big population of unwanted snails you are over feeding, just cut down and let your rams build up in your breeder, you can then feed them rams once the trumpets are right down
Yea that sounds about right. I might have gotten carried away with the worms. It's so fun to watch these guys eat, I am facinated with them.

They are such good hunters, and as I look at the tank now I can see about 5 live ramshorns (size of a bb) cruising around, and during the night I saw 30 or so MTS which means there are much more :) So I am wondering if it might be best just to totally stop feeding them the frozen worms for a while and let them graze on the snails for the population to stabilize a bit.

It seems like I can just look at their bellies and tell how hungry they are - right? They aren't hungry today, that's for sure :)
geronimo69
Green Spotted Puffer
My Puffers: Fahaka Puffer "tetraodon lineatus"
Location (country): Canada

Post by geronimo69 »

The MTS are feeding on dying and decaying plants. Slowing feeding will not slow the MTS. I have a heavily planted 55 gallon with 2 albino senegal bichirs, 3 bristlenose plecos, and literally thousands of MTS. They are amazing for cleaning, and turning over your substrate (even though only the surface level). I would not remove them ever. The only time I take some out is to feed my Ceylon... He has powerful jaws and can crush them easily. I do not give any to my Fahaka.
"Don't tell fish stories where the people know you; but particularly, don't tell them where they know the fish."
Mark Twain
"Fish recognize a bad leader."
Conan O'Brien
Dave-H
Puffer Fry

Post by Dave-H »

geronimo69 wrote:The MTS are feeding on dying and decaying plants. Slowing feeding will not slow the MTS. I have a heavily planted 55 gallon with 2 albino senegal bichirs, 3 bristlenose plecos, and literally thousands of MTS. They are amazing for cleaning, and turning over your substrate (even though only the surface level). I would not remove them ever. The only time I take some out is to feed my Ceylon... He has powerful jaws and can crush them easily. I do not give any to my Fahaka.
I have other planted tanks and I'm pretty familiar with MTS!
But, will they be harmful to the pea puffers is the question at hand :)
sgtmyers88
My Puffers: Green Spotted Puffers

Post by sgtmyers88 »

+1 to the above comments. I too was weary to give MTS to my puffers and I too have a few Pea Puffers as well. They will simply suck or pluck out the snails from their shells. I had reservations feeding some to my larger Green Spotted Puffers but they appeared to have tore the snails apart with little trouble. Its fascinating to watch the puffers work the snails around in their mouths.
WARNING: Puffers are mischievous little blimps with enchanting powers. You may not be content with having just one.
geronimo69
Green Spotted Puffer
My Puffers: Fahaka Puffer "tetraodon lineatus"
Location (country): Canada

Post by geronimo69 »

Dave-H wrote:
geronimo69 wrote:The MTS are feeding on dying and decaying plants. Slowing feeding will not slow the MTS. I have a heavily planted 55 gallon with 2 albino senegal bichirs, 3 bristlenose plecos, and literally thousands of MTS. They are amazing for cleaning, and turning over your substrate (even though only the surface level). I would not remove them ever. The only time I take some out is to feed my Ceylon... He has powerful jaws and can crush them easily. I do not give any to my Fahaka.
I have other planted tanks and I'm pretty familiar with MTS!
But, will they be harmful to the pea puffers is the question at hand :)

Sorry, forgot to say, they will not harm the peas! :D
"Don't tell fish stories where the people know you; but particularly, don't tell them where they know the fish."
Mark Twain
"Fish recognize a bad leader."
Conan O'Brien
Iliveinazoo
Fahaka Puffer
My Puffers: 1xFigure 8
Location (country): UK

Post by Iliveinazoo »

As Bertie says really, less food = less snails. prune when you notice the decaying leaves. If your plants are decaying excessively then think about your fert regime.
Dave-H
Puffer Fry

Post by Dave-H »

Update on this:

I put some Ramshorns in the tank for the puffers to eat. They eat them, but not as quickly as I thought they would. So, there are a few adult ramshorns cruising around the tank now uneaten. Meanwhile, the MTS seem to have disappeared! Maybe the Ramshorns are out competing them for food or I just never see them during the day or early evening.

There are also 2 yellow neocardina shirimp in the tank, a male and a female and the female is berried.

My question now is:

I am surprised that the puffers aren't eating everything, but they appear healthy enough! Is there any risk they will overfeed in the current scenario? We may have baby snails and shrimp soon!
bertie 83
Non puffer
Harlequins, CAE's, Yoyo

Post by bertie 83 »

Once snails realise they are food they start hiding, the rams probably haven't realised yet, when you stir your substrate you will see the mts.
hadla
Mbu Puffer
My Puffers: 2 gsps and a big Stars and stripes
Location (country): California

Post by hadla »

geronimo69 wrote:The only time I take some out is to feed my Ceylon... He has powerful jaws and can crush them easily. I do not give any to my Fahaka.
id love tof ind out if figgy would crunch the smaller ones, but id ont want to risk her breaking her beak on one :( my 10g has a lot of them, only see them at night.
Never trust big puffers. The fingers you save may be your own. -RTR
Tim
Fahaka Puffer
Location (country): Sweden

Post by Tim »

I would worry more for the MTS,pea puffers can just as easily suck the snails out of those as they can with pond snails and such :lol:, at least I believe they can.
*A wild water plant appears, Pig the Green Spotted Puffer is intimidated*