Cultivating Puffer Food

A place to discuss general puffer care or news.
kcartwright856
Green Spotted Puffer
My Puffers: 2 C. travancoricus (dwarf puffer)
7 Pangio kuhlii
5 Otocinclus vittatus (w/ fry)
Location (country): USA

Cultivating Puffer Food

Post by kcartwright856 »

For my future puffers, I'll be doing live foods exclusively unless special needs arrive.

I decided to start early so I don't run out of snails faster than they can breed. They're in a jar right now, but I dug this little hex tank out of my mom's attic that I was planning on putting them in. It's either one gallon or two. I'm not quite sure.

Anyway... I know that a lot of snail breeders prefer a bare bottom for cleaning reasons, but I wanted my tank to be pretty! So I was planning on furnishing it like I would a larger tank. Then I saw threads on other forums about shrimp bowls and such and I thought, "Hmm. Maybe I could do more than just pond snails in here to make it as interesting of a tank as any!" I can't lie... I've been thinking about looking into a Figure-8 puffer after I have my DPs, so I'll need shrimp!

Is this plausible? Can shrimp and snails co-habitate in a small tank successfully?

I read up on the Walstad method of tank planting which was used in one of the snail bowl threads that I read, and there was a link that said that blackworms can be beneficial to keep in the substrate to work mulm into the soil. I was planning on keeping live blackworms in the fridge, but holy moly! What if all of my puffer foods could be cultivated in the same tank?! (I've heard mixed reviews on keeping blackworms in a tank. Can't hurt to try, right? :? )

Such lofty ambitions for what I assume is defined as a "nano" tank. Are they just that? Too high?

Oh, and I'd like to add that if this sort of all-in-one food cultivation habitat is at all possible, I'll be wanting to look into getting a 5 or 10 gallon for the kitchen counter or something so that I have more room to play around. Besides, I'm going to need a LOT of puffer food if my obsession continues on this path.

But surely there's something I can do for now, right?
-KC

My DP tank journal: viewtopic.php?f=4&t=29746
bertie 83
My Puffers: lineatus R.I.P, South American puffer. Valentini puffer, porcupine puffer.
Non puffer
Danios, Tetras, Redtail Rasporas,
Harlequins, CAE's, Yoyo
Loaches, Clown loaches ,Eels, various shrimp, tangs,wrasses, damsels, chromis
Location (country): Brighton, England

Re: Cultivating Puffer Food

Post by bertie 83 »

That won't work I'm afraid. Snails and shrimp need different breeders. It is not advised to breed shrimp in leads than 5g, they need pristine conditions to breed.
It's amazing how easy maintenance is. If done regularly and thoroughly
RTR
Mentor
Location (country): East Coast, USA

Post by RTR »

Lots of folks on the web report all sorts of things after short term trials that for me simply do not work long term. They have even been known to report keeping a variety of puffers in the same tank... for what may seem to them successfully, but they don't understand puffer lifespans either, or behavioral changes with maturity. Somehow, we never see 5- or 10-year follow-up on those setups.

If you want to breed pond snails, breed pond snails, period.

If you want to breed ramshorn snails, you need more room and better water, so use separate containers.

If you want to breed red cherry shrimp, breed red cherry shrimp in yet another container. They need different foods and minerals, better water management, but no more than any fairly easy fish.

If you want to breed the prolific crays, ditto. They are more demanding due to aggression issues, but it can be done.

One size does not ever fit all.

It is IME always better to do separate critters in their own best conditions, "You are what your prey eats" does apply to rearing food. It takes more space and care than you would think.
Where's the fish? - Neptune
kcartwright856
Green Spotted Puffer
7 Pangio kuhlii

Post by kcartwright856 »

Thank you for your replies! That was just what I was looking for! I have the utmost respect for veteran puffer keepers and I'm here for your guidance since I'm so new!

I have some decisions to make regarding this little tank! Maybe I'll make it nice and pretty for the pond snails and then try to talk my husband into a 5 or 10 gallon for shrimp. 8)
-KC

J-P
Former Staff Member
Location (country): Japan

Post by J-P »

too bad you are not closer I could sell you my breeder set up ...

multiple small tanks mostly species only all driven by 1 air pump with sponge filters.
if you follow me, you avoid stepping in the crap that I just did...

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCZR55G ... pqlgec1A2Q
hadla
Mbu Puffer
My Puffers: 2 gsps and a big Stars and stripes
Location (country): California

Post by hadla »

RTR wrote: bread red cherry shrimp in yet another container.
eew, theyre kinda small for us to eat though =P
Never trust big puffers. The fingers you save may be your own. -RTR
RTR
Mentor
Location (country): East Coast, USA

Post by RTR »

My Tanganyikan Cichlids love them. For them, RCS are like Baby Bear's porridge - just right!
Where's the fish? - Neptune
kcartwright856
Green Spotted Puffer
7 Pangio kuhlii

Post by kcartwright856 »

Can someone tell me a bit more about DPs and shrimp? Do the DPs like to eat the smaller ones, do they leave the bigger ones alone? Perhaps it depends on the puffer? Could it hurt to add some to the tank and whatever happens, happens? I wouldn't mind having them in the tank and wouldn't mind them being eaten either.
-KC

bertie 83
My Puffers: lineatus R.I.P, South American puffer. Valentini puffer, porcupine puffer.
Non puffer
Danios, Tetras, Redtail Rasporas,
Harlequins, CAE's, Yoyo
Loaches, Clown loaches ,Eels, various shrimp, tangs,wrasses, damsels, chromis
Location (country): Brighton, England

Post by bertie 83 »

The dps will likely go at the shrimp. Some however will totally ignore shrimp which are larger than themselves, give it a try and see what happens
It's amazing how easy maintenance is. If done regularly and thoroughly
Jase
Mbu Puffer
My Puffers: RIP Hootey :(

Post by Jase »

Be sure if you try the shrimp to quarantine and gut load them first. It is never a good idea to add things from the LFS to an established tank.
-Jase
edmlfc1 wrote:A house without a puffer is not a home. :D
hadla
Mbu Puffer
My Puffers: 2 gsps and a big Stars and stripes
Location (country): California

Post by hadla »

kcartwright856 wrote:Can someone tell me a bit more about DPs and shrimp? Do the DPs like to eat the smaller ones, do they leave the bigger ones alone? Perhaps it depends on the puffer? Could it hurt to add some to the tank and whatever happens, happens? I wouldn't mind having them in the tank and wouldn't mind them being eaten either.
mine never bothered any shrimp, even the filter feeding shrimp(cant remember the common name)
Never trust big puffers. The fingers you save may be your own. -RTR