What do you do with deceased puffer?

A place to discuss general puffer care or news.
sparks42
Figure 8 Puffer
My Puffers: Green Spotted Puffer named Chomper!

What do you do with deceased puffer?

Post by sparks42 »

Just curious...

Do you flush it, burry it, donate it somehow to science, taxidermy.... ?
Pufferpunk
Queen Admin
My Puffers: Filbert, the 12" T lineatus
Punkster, the 4" red T miurus
Mongo, the 4" A modestus
2 T biocellatus
C valentini
C coranata
C papuan
Also kept:
lorteti
DPs
suvattii
burrfish
T niphobles
Location (country): USA, Greenville, SC

Re: What do you do with deceased puffer?

Post by Pufferpunk »

I have buried a larger one but usually flush or garbage can.
You are getting sleepy... you only hear the sound of my voice... you must do water changes... water changes... water changes... water changes...

"The solution to pollution is dilution!"
LilGreenPuffer
Former Staff Member
My Puffers: Dwarf puffer - Thumbelina (only mine in my heart now; she lives in CT with my friend)

RIP Inigo Montoya, Fezzik, and Vizinni.
RIP James Bond.
Location (country): United States

Post by LilGreenPuffer »

If the fish is very special to you and not too large, you can bury it in a potted plant and keep it as a memorial. If it's large, you could bury it in your yard (deep! and cover it with stones or something so animals can't get to it), and if it's a special friend, you could plant a tree or bush by it.

Myself, I tend to flush the body. It seems crass to some people, but I don't think the fish mind, and when I die, I'll just donate my body to science or get cremated or whatever's most efficient and useful, so respect for bodies doesn't seem like a huge deal to me.

Anyway, as Gill from "Finding Nemo" said, "All drains lead to the ocean!"
"I will give you a talisman. Whenever you are in doubt, or when the self becomes too much with you, apply the following test. Recall the face of the poorest and the weakest man whom you may have seen, and ask yourself, if the step you contemplate is going to be of any use to him or her. Will she gain anything by it? Will it restore her to a control over her own life and destiny? In other words, will it lead to freedom for the hungry and spiritually starving millions? Then you will find your doubts and your self melt away."

Found among the papers of Mohatma Gandhi

Come and visit http://www.thetriopsforum.com!

I AM A DUDETTE!

NEED NITRIFYING BACTERIA FOR YOUR NEW TANK? PM ME!
Pufferpunk
Queen Admin
Mongo, the 4" A modestus
2 T biocellatus
C valentini
C coranata
C papuan
Also kept:
lorteti
DPs
suvattii
burrfish
T niphobles

Post by Pufferpunk »

I'll be cremated & made into a reef: http://www.eternalreefs.com/?gclid=CMrU ... KgodLEDXrg
You are getting sleepy... you only hear the sound of my voice... you must do water changes... water changes... water changes... water changes...

CoCoPuffs
Figure 8 Puffer
Location (country): usa

Post by CoCoPuffs »

Straight into the terlit...
El Scorpio
Fahaka Puffer
My Puffers: none, at the moment...
Location (country): Louisville, KY.

Post by El Scorpio »

My niece buried my 11-13ish year old GSP in the bed of the creek behind my house, as I was in Iraq on deployment when he died. He was too big to flush, but she grew fond of the little guy and decided he deserved better than that.
Nuclear_Glitter
Fahaka Puffer
Location (country): North Carolina, USA

Post by Nuclear_Glitter »

I read somewhere that flushing fish can cause problems to the environment and native species, so I always either bury or just throw away my fish.
"Obstacles are those frightful things you see when you take your eyes off your goal." -- Henry Ford
Pufferpunk
Queen Admin
Mongo, the 4" A modestus
2 T biocellatus
C valentini
C coranata
C papuan
Also kept:
lorteti
DPs
suvattii
burrfish
T niphobles

Post by Pufferpunk »

I was thinking the same thing but since LPG didn't say anything (& she WOULD have!), I didn't.

Terrance
Fahaka Puffer
My Puffers: Retired Puffer Addict
Location (country): USA

Post by Terrance »

I would hold a memorial.

I never had any fish die under my care *knock on wood* and I'm not looking forward to that day.
Kind regards,
Terrance
RTR
Mentor
Location (country): East Coast, USA

Post by RTR »

There is certainly a non-trivial chance that flushing could potentially introduce pathogens into local water supplies. But that also depends on what happens with your flush. We have a public water supply, but sewage service is not available here. We have individual septic systems with such waste handled fully within the property borders.

After all, if your water from tank partials goes into public sewers, the same contamination risk is there.

HTH
Where's the fish? - Neptune
Dadof4
Tech Team
My Puffers: 1 GSP (Microfiche) RIP, 1 Monotrete Turgidus (Leon) in a 30gal. 1 Monotrete suvattii in a 40 gal FW. 120 gallon BW with 3 juvenile Dragon Gobies (so cool). 55 gal with a 2" GSP named Hank. 180 gallon being set up for a Fahaka in the next few months!
Location (country): United States

Post by Dadof4 »

I'll sound harsh here but, I put them in the freezer in multiple plastic bags until trash day and then they go in the trash. I know it adds plastic to the environment but a majority of our trash is incinerated and turned to energy. I have difficulty burying a puffer because I have dogs, tracking hounds with noses that can smell 2-3 day old scent. They would find a buried puffer in a matter of minutes.
"Darwin swings...annnnnnd a miss. Boy Jim, Chuck's suffered at the plate tonight. He's 0 for 3 and I'm not sure he's recovered from that shoulder pull a few weeks ago. I'll bet the front office is re-thinking that contract."
RTR
Mentor
Location (country): East Coast, USA

Post by RTR »

Plenty of hobbyists cannot easily bury pets due to lack of available and/or suitable land. Commercial cremation is not a realistic option. For renters and cliff-dwellers, trash disposal is the best option in most cases.

If it sounds harsh, well, the real world frequently is just that.
Where's the fish? - Neptune
Pufferpunk
Queen Admin
Mongo, the 4" A modestus
2 T biocellatus
C valentini
C coranata
C papuan
Also kept:
lorteti
DPs
suvattii
burrfish
T niphobles

Post by Pufferpunk »

I have a bird, 2 dogs & a cat, buried in my backyard. My stepdaughter brings her animals.

Flutter
Former Staff Member
Location (country): Canada

Post by Flutter »

At home we have 2 dogs, countless birds (injured wild ones that didn't make it plus a few pet ones), mice, fish, and probably more. The latest losses have been cremated as eventually my mom is going to move and as silly as it is I hate to leave their bodies behind. You never know what kind of landscaping someone will do. It's silly but it is what it is :) You do with what you're comfortable as it's for us, I imagine the dead couldn't care less. Dealing with bodies is for the living.

Fish we flush or bag and put in the garbage. There have been a few that I didn't want to toss like that but I live in an apartment.
It is absurd to talk of one animal being higher than another. We consider those, when the cerebral structure/intellectual faculties most developed, as highest. A bee doubtless would when the instincts were.
Charles Darwin