Fish for a waiting room

A place to discuss general puffer care or news.
soggydrysuit
Fahaka Puffer
My Puffers: 2x T.fluviatilis
1x C. irrubesco
2 x T. nigroviridis
1 x T. ocellatus
Current non-puffers:

Enough for people to think I'm a loonie :-)
Location (country): UK

Fish for a waiting room

Post by soggydrysuit »

Just thought I'd ask :)

There is a 48 by 15 by 15 inch tank near me at work. In this they have plants, platies and one adult Australian Rainbow who bullies or eats most things such as neon tetras who have been introduced. The tank used to work but is struggling now. That's just my opinion. There is no evidence of disease but fish last a few months at best.

If I ask extremely nicely, I may be allowed to maintain the tank.

I could rehome the fish in that aquarium and what do you think - a bunch of dwarf puffs? The water there is very 'hard', but I have a still, very close by so soft water via mixing and testing is an option.

Or just give them some of my mollies. About a hundred :shock: Not really. Tank too small for more than about six of these...

I would add that these fish and that tank were paid for by staff out of their own money, so it's a delicate subject. I'm offering for zilch to help.

These are people trying their absolute best.

What would you like to see in a dental x-ray waiting room before you go up for treatment?

:)
RTR
Mentor
Location (country): East Coast, USA

Re: Fish for a waiting room

Post by RTR »

Ditch the single adult rainbow. Rainbows are schoolers, so should be in multiples of their own kind,and IME should not be mixed with livebearers. depending on which Rainbow it is the tank may not be big enough for a group of them.

Your description of the lifespan of the fish in the tank heavily implies OTS, old tank syndrome. Do you have a liquid-based test kit? If so, give us as full a read-out of the water parameters from both the tank and the tap. That would help define the problem with the existing fish and setup. Also give us info on the current setup and upkeep - partial frequency and volume or percentage, filtration, etc. Then we can offer more realistic responses.
Where's the fish? - Neptune
Cuchulainn
Dwarf Puffer
Location (country): Peg city, Manitoba,Canada

Post by Cuchulainn »

What would you like to see in a dental x-ray waiting room before you go up for treatment? Quote
Glass catfish ;)
LilGreenPuffer
Former Staff Member
My Puffers: Dwarf puffer - Thumbelina (only mine in my heart now; she lives in CT with my friend)

RIP Inigo Montoya, Fezzik, and Vizinni.
RIP James Bond.
Location (country): United States

Post by LilGreenPuffer »

Just FYI, hard water is totally fine for DPs. :)
"I will give you a talisman. Whenever you are in doubt, or when the self becomes too much with you, apply the following test. Recall the face of the poorest and the weakest man whom you may have seen, and ask yourself, if the step you contemplate is going to be of any use to him or her. Will she gain anything by it? Will it restore her to a control over her own life and destiny? In other words, will it lead to freedom for the hungry and spiritually starving millions? Then you will find your doubts and your self melt away."

Found among the papers of Mohatma Gandhi

Come and visit http://www.thetriopsforum.com!

I AM A DUDETTE!

NEED NITRIFYING BACTERIA FOR YOUR NEW TANK? PM ME!
J-P
Former Staff Member
Location (country): Japan

Post by J-P »

ditch it all and go with a Blue Ringed Octopus! LOL!!!

If the patient gets overly apprehensive or doesn't like the results they can stick their hand in and get re-located to the nice ER down the street!
if you follow me, you avoid stepping in the crap that I just did...

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCZR55G ... pqlgec1A2Q
SammyDee
Mbu Puffer
My Puffers: 55g (2) GSP, (2) Maroon Clownfish, (1) blue damsel, And some soft corals and 1 Nem
45g FW community
20g snail and shrimp breeding tank for puffers
Location (country): USA USA USA USA

Post by SammyDee »

I think the dentist should pay a company to maintain it and make it SW. Dwarf puffers are gonna be harder for them if they cant keep simple fish alive. It prolly never gets a WC by the staff. Id ask if he has someone doing it. And fire them LOL
"DREAM AS IF YOU'LL LIVE FOREVER, LIVE AS IF YOU'L DIE TODAY' -JAMES DEAN
side19
Green Spotted Puffer
My Puffers: 1 Figure Eight Puffer (Tetraodon biocellatus), Ra
1 South American Puffer (Colomesus asellus), Cocha(aka. Dizzy)

Post by side19 »

J-P wrote:ditch it all and go with a Blue Ringed Octopus! LOL!!!

If the patient gets overly apprehensive or doesn't like the results they can stick their hand in and get re-located to the nice ER down the street!
lol. i can't stop laughing now. :lol:
Dadof4
Tech Team
My Puffers: 1 GSP (Microfiche) RIP, 1 Monotrete Turgidus (Leon) in a 30gal. 1 Monotrete suvattii in a 40 gal FW. 120 gallon BW with 3 juvenile Dragon Gobies (so cool). 55 gal with a 2" GSP named Hank. 180 gallon being set up for a Fahaka in the next few months!

Post by Dadof4 »

Nope, wouldn't make it that far. Venom is usually effective within minutes, has no antidote, and is usually fatal in a few minutes. First minute you lose your sense of touch and go blind followed within the next few minutes by paralysis and respiratory arrest, death or severe brain damage occurs in about 5 minutes (depending on how good the paramedic or MD is at placing the breathing tube and getting oxygen to the brain).....Generally if you get bit the only thing to do is support vital functions an hope for the best. :rip:
"Darwin swings...annnnnnd a miss. Boy Jim, Chuck's suffered at the plate tonight. He's 0 for 3 and I'm not sure he's recovered from that shoulder pull a few weeks ago. I'll bet the front office is re-thinking that contract."
Puffy Paul
Puffer Fry
Location (country): Texas

Post by Puffy Paul »

Something with worse off teeth than me! Maybe a Piranha?
J-P
Former Staff Member
Location (country): Japan

Post by J-P »

Dadof4 wrote:

Nope, wouldn't make it that far. Venom is usually effective within minutes, has no antidote, and is usually fatal in a few minutes. First minute you lose your sense of touch and go blind followed within the next few minutes by paralysis and respiratory arrest, death or severe brain damage occurs in about 5 minutes (depending on how good the paramedic or MD is at placing the breathing tube and getting oxygen to the brain).....Generally if you get bit the only thing to do is support vital functions an hope for the best. :rip:

so maybe it is a good idea!! put the tank right at reception where they had the client the bill! At least he'll have nice teeth for the funeral ;)
if you follow me, you avoid stepping in the crap that I just did...

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCZR55G ... pqlgec1A2Q