Cycling query

A place to discuss general puffer care or news.
shagy382
Dwarf Puffer
Location (country): Asia

Cycling query

Post by shagy382 »

Hi guys im in the midst of cycling my new tank about 13 days in now using some tiger barbs..(14 to be exact) with stress zyme booster

The water parameters are

Ammonia 4ppm
Nitrite >5ppm (Very dark purple)
Nitrate 10ppm

My barbs seem to be doing really really well though, swimming all over the place. I Just need some advice onto whther i should cut down the number of tiger barbs to hopefully hasten the cycling process, or should i just wait it out?

I know that i shdnt have added so many barbs at one time but i wasnt aware of the slow stocking practice at that time :D I also tried planting my tank during e cycling process with some ADA soil, could that have increased my ammonia content?

My cycle is kinda messed up now, so i m kinda in a fix now..

Thanks for readingz
LilGreenPuffer
Former Staff Member
My Puffers: Dwarf puffer - Thumbelina (only mine in my heart now; she lives in CT with my friend)

RIP Inigo Montoya, Fezzik, and Vizinni.
RIP James Bond.
Location (country): United States

Re: Cycling query

Post by LilGreenPuffer »

StressZyme doesn't work.

When cycling with fish, you need to do water changes to keep ammonia and nitrite below .25ppm. Do a massive water change ASAP.
"I will give you a talisman. Whenever you are in doubt, or when the self becomes too much with you, apply the following test. Recall the face of the poorest and the weakest man whom you may have seen, and ask yourself, if the step you contemplate is going to be of any use to him or her. Will she gain anything by it? Will it restore her to a control over her own life and destiny? In other words, will it lead to freedom for the hungry and spiritually starving millions? Then you will find your doubts and your self melt away."

Found among the papers of Mohatma Gandhi

Come and visit http://www.thetriopsforum.com!

I AM A DUDETTE!

NEED NITRIFYING BACTERIA FOR YOUR NEW TANK? PM ME!
busybones
Fahaka Puffer
My Puffers: ******
(1)T. lineatus-Fahaka~Pookie 125 gal
(1)M. turgidus- Brown Puffer~Rowdy 30 gal
(1)T.nigroviridis-GSP~ 55 gal
Location (country): USA

Post by busybones »

+1 do a water change and use prime declorinator if you have it. I'm not going to gripe at you too much for using the fish to cycle the tank since I believe it is your choice weather or not to do so. However I would like to tell you that the fishless cycling process is much quicker/more humane than using fish. (library/water-filtration/fishless-cycling/)
Jivenjune
Green Spotted Puffer
My Puffers: (2) GSPs in a 60 gallon.
Location (country): California.

Post by Jivenjune »

I would also recommend dosing your aquarium with some Prime to alleviate the stress from the ammonia burns. It'll convert the ammonia to ammonium which your beneficial bacterial will still consume as a source of food. High dosages of Prime is also known to alleviate some nitrite problems, but chemically, I do not understand how this works.

Also, if your tiger barbs can handle aquarium salt, I would buy some and add it into your aquarium to alleviate any further issues with nitrites. Your tank should still cycle properly after this. Good luck.
shagy382
Dwarf Puffer
Location (country): Asia

Post by shagy382 »

Okay for now im gonna perform daily WCs to maintain my ammonia and nitrite levels at around 0.25 ppm. Will continue monitoring from here...
Pufferpunk
Queen Admin
My Puffers: Filbert, the 12" T lineatus
Punkster, the 4" red T miurus
Mongo, the 4" A modestus
2 T biocellatus
C valentini
C coranata
C papuan
Also kept:
lorteti
DPs
suvattii
burrfish
T niphobles
Location (country): USA, Greenville, SC

Post by Pufferpunk »

IMO, if you say you can return some of the barbs, then please return ALL of them. Cycling with any fish is cruel, causing their gills, eyes & skin to burn, possibly causing irreparable damage to them. Then look up the fishless cycling article in our Library.
You are getting sleepy... you only hear the sound of my voice... you must do water changes... water changes... water changes... water changes...

"The solution to pollution is dilution!"
RTR
Mentor
Location (country): East Coast, USA

Post by RTR »

+1 to Pufferpunk' s comments.
Where's the fish? - Neptune