To you, what makes puffers irresistable?

A place to discuss general puffer care or news.
recombinantrider
Green Spotted Puffer
My Puffers: Tetraodon nigroviridis (GSP)
Takifugu ocellatus (Fugu puffer)

To you, what makes puffers irresistable?

Post by recombinantrider »

To me, there are many reasons, but these are the main ones:

1. They are the cutest fish, but at the same time you can't really mess with them as they can seriously hurt you, or even be potentially lethal. I like the juxtaposition :)
2. For many puffers, their faces have some resemblance to the faces of mammals--that roundness of the face and positioning of eyes and mouth when you look at them straight-on. I find their faces so much more expressive and interesting than the other fish.
3. They are so responsive to human! It's hard to not love them when they follow you around and look at you with those sad eyes if you don't feed them.
4. They are so much fun to watch when they tear into their food hungrily. It's like having Discovery Channel in my tank at feeding time.
5. They are lazy after they eat, just like me.
6. Many of them can live a long time (~15 years) if given the best environment in captivity --> Less frequent fish death.
7. They have attitudes. I know that my fish are angry with me for at least a day if I am out of town for a few days.
8. Puffer lovers are generally really cool. I'm glad that we share something so awesome in common!
autophotos
Green Spotted Puffer
Location (country): UK GB

Re: To you, what makes puffers irresistable?

Post by autophotos »

for me i was first drawn to the mbus - but havnt got space for a big enough tank - at least i dont think so -

just love the way they look- and swim - the way they great you and beg for food - just like a puppy dog - just think they are one of the most interesting fish around - so glad i didnt get the pirhanas instead
hali
Figure 8 Puffer
My Puffers: 3 figure of eight puffers

Post by hali »

i love their faces and podgy tummies
LilGreenPuffer
Former Staff Member
My Puffers: Dwarf puffer - Thumbelina (only mine in my heart now; she lives in CT with my friend)

RIP Inigo Montoya, Fezzik, and Vizinni.
RIP James Bond.
Location (country): United States

Post by LilGreenPuffer »

I first was attracted to GSPs because they had little fins like eyebrows. Since then, I've found that what I really enjoy about my DPs is no different from what I enjoy about my other fish. Most people are used to seeing fish in cramped tanks full of dirty water, lethargic, malnourished, etc. But so many fish, when cared for properly, are active and interactive and fun to watch and far more beautiful. I enjoy the personality that my fish show, how they're all different. I also find the hobby to be very fulfilling. I have twelve little creatures, none of them longer than my finger, too delicate for me to touch. I love being able to make such fragile creatures healthy and happy. There are lots of challenges - I've dealt with a rash of bacterial infections in my rescue bettas, open wounds, parasites, semi-crashed tanks, and (currently) trying to make something green grow. So far, I haven't had any true failures - some bad stuff along the way, no complete successes, but everything turned out okay in the end. It's so rewarding! Now, if I could just get my slate cave to look exactly right, THAT would be rewarding...
"I will give you a talisman. Whenever you are in doubt, or when the self becomes too much with you, apply the following test. Recall the face of the poorest and the weakest man whom you may have seen, and ask yourself, if the step you contemplate is going to be of any use to him or her. Will she gain anything by it? Will it restore her to a control over her own life and destiny? In other words, will it lead to freedom for the hungry and spiritually starving millions? Then you will find your doubts and your self melt away."

Found among the papers of Mohatma Gandhi

Come and visit http://www.thetriopsforum.com!

I AM A DUDETTE!

NEED NITRIFYING BACTERIA FOR YOUR NEW TANK? PM ME!
losertastictoaster
Dwarf Puffer
My Puffers: Fishys:
1 x - betta fish
1 x - pictus catfish
1 x - bala shark
4 x - clown loach
1 x - butterfly pleco
1 x - bushy nose pleco
1 x - dwarf puffer
1 x - striped red eye puffer
Location (country): United states, Oregon

Post by losertastictoaster »

The oddness of them. I've always been attracted to weird or different things and as far as fish go puffers are strange. The faces won me over along with just the energy some of the puffs have. For the most part fish don't do a whole lot but in my opinion puffers are one of the few fish you can interact with.
pufferpuggirl
Mbu Puffer
My Puffers: Puffs & Stuff:

1 x M Abei
1 x M Turgidus
1 x T Palembangensis
1 x M Baileyii
1 x T Schoutedeni
1 x T Leiurus
1 x T Miurus
Rainbow crab
crayfish
Location (country): Yorkshire, GB

Post by pufferpuggirl »

The first puffers I got were Dwarf puffers, and they are what started my addiction to puffs. I remember that, unlike most fish, the little DP's were very aware of my presence.
I love the way puffers cruise around, much smoother than a helicopter, maybe a Harrier Jumpjet? And yes, I think they are adorable, just so cute, and they do have expressions, but always look happy! I like how I've got more than 20 puffers (not including the DP's) and they all have their different personalities and characteristics. They are all puffers, but they are not all alike in how they behave and the things they do.
But I think the very best thing about my puffers, and puffers in general, is that I can't look at them and not smile. They ALWAYS bring a smile to my face, and if I'm feeling a bit down, all I have to do is look at my puffs and I am smiling or laughing even.
God definitely has a sense of humour, which is evident in the face of a puffer. :D
"Puffer .... man's best friend?"
rachy
Green Spotted Puffer
My Puffers: 4 adult dwarf puffers ( sugar, hamish, diddy + porky)
2 smallerDP's (squidge + speckle)
+ now 70+ baby DP's :)
7 south american puffers ( shaun, paddy, sketch,
pele + 3 with no name yet!)
2 irrubesco (princess ruby + richy)
Location (country): uk

Post by rachy »

aww i just love everything about them!! theres just something more about them than any other fish imo :) they seem 2 know whats going on around them etc...and theyre soooooo cute :D
j_wishbone
Figure 8 Puffer
My Puffers: toadfish
Location (country): Australia

Post by j_wishbone »

1) personality

2) how the eyes are like chamelions how they operate independently

3) aggressiveness behind the puppy dog eyes
RTR
Mentor
Location (country): East Coast, USA

Post by RTR »

Puffers are oddballs. They do not look like a child's drawing of a fish. They do not swim like most fish. They do not have scales. They do not even have the usual fins, and they use their fins in different ways from most fish.

They are bright (intelligent). They have moods which are recognizable. especially when kept as singletons, they recognize more than one individual.

They have faces - I agree with recombinantrider - and we can see them as faces, with expressions.

Internally and externally they are strange - they have quite a number of unique features not found outside their family.

They are worldwide in distribution in the tropics and into some temperate areas, and available in wide range of lifestyles- hunter-predators, lurker-predators, schoolers, and range from tiny to too big for average home. A smorgasbord of fish, all with their special features and interests.
Where's the fish? - Neptune
OCgatergal
Green Spotted Puffer
My Puffers: 4 Green Spotted Puffers- Puck, Laika, Hubble ( the biter), Sputnik
Location (country): CA, USA

Post by OCgatergal »

I like how their fins look like propellers. I love that they have personality traits. My dad likes them because they were cheaper than a tank full of community fish. (But technically, if I went with the community fw, I would not have loved fish so much that I bought another tank so HA!)
I believe you have small mud puddles mixed up with acres of rice paddies.
kilofey
Fahaka Puffer
My Puffers: **PUFFERS
2 Dwarf puffers, but I had an 11" fahaka that I miss soo much!

**OTHER FISH
betta, black oscallaris clown, orange oscallaris clown, purple firefish, blue spotted goby, coral beauty angelfish

**NON-AQUATIC PETS
Chihuahua, springer spaniel/dachund mix, and a barn cat
Location (country): California

Post by kilofey »

for me, its everything already posted.... AND the bragging rights... i LOVE it when i mention i have a 9" fahaka puffer.... people kinda go WWWHHAAAA, you mean those fish that fill up with air????? i also like having the bragging rights of having one of the largest, and one of the smallest puffers (i also have a DP). people think its funny to compare the 2. but most of all i love how Kukah seems to appreciate everything i do for him.... makes fish keeping more rewarding..... my red devil cichlid on the other hand, he hates everyone... hes very aware of whats outside the tank as well, but in a very different way.... he bites when you clean the tank and rams the glass when you walk by, kukah just seems excited.... gives me that warm fuzzy feeling lol. :love:

for my boyfriend.... he likes kukah because he likes to masacre his dinner

and my kitties, they like my puffers because they cant figure out what the heck they are!!! haha
"everyone is a genius. But if you judge a fish on its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid"
-Albert Einstein
soggydrysuit
Fahaka Puffer
My Puffers: 2x T.fluviatilis
1x C. irrubesco
2 x T. nigroviridis
1 x T. ocellatus
Current non-puffers:

Enough for people to think I'm a loonie :-)
Location (country): UK

Post by soggydrysuit »

Puffers are total loonies :lol:

I look at my puffs (Celons called 'Bonnie and Clyde') and start talking to them (nutter) - then I look at my small trop tank with common community fish in and go 'Boring!' They just drift around looking pretty. Like piranha, they don't DO very much. The trop tank was set up for my wife BTW and so I could have at least one 'normal' tank to remember what it was like.

Tetraodontiforms are some of the most evolved fish on the planet. And maybe one of the least understood groups.

Its the behaviour that gets me :D

I've heard of a MBU who sulked because his tank was moved and he couldn't see the telly :lol:

They moved it back...
Flutter
Former Staff Member
Location (country): Canada

Post by Flutter »

Nothing is more evolved than something else. We all came from the same place and we all took the same amount of time to get to the present. Nothing is higher or lower or more advanced vs primitive. Evolution does not work like that.
It is absurd to talk of one animal being higher than another. We consider those, when the cerebral structure/intellectual faculties most developed, as highest. A bee doubtless would when the instincts were.
Charles Darwin
L!$A
Former Staff Member
My Puffers: Fahaka - Nala
Congo - Baloo
Arrowhead - Yzma

R.I.P
Kaleeko - Mbu Puffer
Milly - Fangs Puffer
Location (country): CANADA

Post by L!$A »

I really enjoy Kaleekos cute little face! He always looks extremely curious.
& They certainly are oddballs - which makes them so darn cute!!
I love how they beg for food. & I especially love when Kaleeko fans out his tail.
I love their fins, It is kind of funny if you think about it, small fins with a big round body
Who would have came up with that! lol

The puffer fish is like no other fish I have ever had.
They are truely an amazing creature, and I am happy to say I am the owner of one.
eieio
Mbu Puffer
My Puffers: *
The Congo Puffer:
"olivia"
and.......
The DP:
"cream puff"
RIP cream puff :-(
Location (country): U.S.A.

Post by eieio »

recombinantrider wrote:To me, there are many reasons, but these are the main ones:
2. For many puffers, their faces have some resemblance to the faces of mammals--that roundness of the face and positioning of eyes and mouth when you look at them straight-on. I find their faces so much more expressive and interesting than the other fish.

kind of like this? : :shock:
"I plan ahead. That way, I don't have to do anything right now!"