Is new Bio Spira as good as old Bio Spira?

A place to discuss general puffer care or news.
my name is mike
Green Spotted Puffer

Is new Bio Spira as good as old Bio Spira?

Post by my name is mike »

I am moving my reef tank in a few weeks and was thinking about getting some Bio Spira to combat the potential mini cycle that the move is sure to spawn. Upon further research I realized they have changed the formula to a shelf-stable product. I have trouble trusting any shelf-stable bacteria and was wondering if anyone has experience with the new formula.
Mike
Dadof4
Tech Team
My Puffers: 1 GSP (Microfiche) RIP, 1 Monotrete Turgidus (Leon) in a 30gal. 1 Monotrete suvattii in a 40 gal FW. 120 gallon BW with 3 juvenile Dragon Gobies (so cool). 55 gal with a 2" GSP named Hank. 180 gallon being set up for a Fahaka in the next few months!
Location (country): United States

Re: Is new Bio Spira as good as old Bio Spira?

Post by Dadof4 »

There is a whole thread in here somewhere about this change. The new stuff, Dr. Tims for Saltwater, and Tetra SafeStart for freshwater. There are other spin-offs out there but these two have teh best results.

So far I've heard good things about it as long as it's used properly. The poor results I've seen are when people try to use in the process of a fishless cycle.
"Darwin swings...annnnnnd a miss. Boy Jim, Chuck's suffered at the plate tonight. He's 0 for 3 and I'm not sure he's recovered from that shoulder pull a few weeks ago. I'll bet the front office is re-thinking that contract."
Pufferpunk
Queen Admin
My Puffers: Filbert, the 12" T lineatus
Punkster, the 4" red T miurus
Mongo, the 4" A modestus
2 T biocellatus
C valentini
C coranata
C papuan
Also kept:
lorteti
DPs
suvattii
burrfish
T niphobles
Location (country): USA, Greenville, SC

Post by Pufferpunk »

+1 for Dr Tim's, he's the originator of Bio-Spira.
You are getting sleepy... you only hear the sound of my voice... you must do water changes... water changes... water changes... water changes...

"The solution to pollution is dilution!"
eieio
Mbu Puffer
My Puffers: *
The Congo Puffer:
"olivia"
and.......
The DP:
"cream puff"
RIP cream puff :-(
Location (country): U.S.A.

Post by eieio »

Dadof4 wrote:There is a whole thread in here somewhere about this change. The new stuff, Dr. Tims for Saltwater, and Tetra SafeStart for freshwater.
Dr. Tims has freshwater also!
"I plan ahead. That way, I don't have to do anything right now!"