puffer swimming up and down side

A place to discuss general puffer care or news.
sample789
Dwarf Puffer
My Puffers: Puff daddy my GSP and my two SAPs named gibralter and fang, and now my two dwarf puffers named behemoth and goliath
Location (country): north america

puffer swimming up and down side

Post by sample789 »

both of my puffers have a tendency to swim up and down the side of the tank for hours on end. i read that this is cuz there bored but i have a 55 gallon tank densely planted and several decorations that they can swim through and hide in. in one tank i have a south american puffer who is a new addition to my community tank and then my other puffer is a GSP (housed seperately) i was just wondering why they do this my water quality is fine so it shouldnt be that
pufferfreak
Mbu Puffer
Location (country): U.S.A.

Re: puffer swimming up and down side

Post by pufferfreak »

I might say rearrange the tank.
rachy
Green Spotted Puffer
My Puffers: 4 adult dwarf puffers ( sugar, hamish, diddy + porky)
2 smallerDP's (squidge + speckle)
+ now 70+ baby DP's :)
7 south american puffers ( shaun, paddy, sketch,
pele + 3 with no name yet!)
2 irrubesco (princess ruby + richy)
Location (country): uk

Post by rachy »

i think the south american puffer maybe doing it cos its alone. they like groups :). i had 2, and they used to do the same, but since ive given them a 3rd friend, they have immeadiately stopped doing it really:D settled down loads
Pufferpunk
Queen Admin
My Puffers: Filbert, the 12" T lineatus
Punkster, the 4" red T miurus
Mongo, the 4" A modestus
2 T biocellatus
C valentini
C coranata
C papuan
Also kept:
lorteti
DPs
suvattii
burrfish
T niphobles
Location (country): USA, Greenville, SC

Post by Pufferpunk »

I moved this to the Gen Disc forum, since this Q is about both FW & BW puffers. You do have the GSP in BW right? What's the SG? If not, that could be the problem.

I agree with the solution for the SAP.
You are getting sleepy... you only hear the sound of my voice... you must do water changes... water changes... water changes... water changes...

"The solution to pollution is dilution!"
LilGreenPuffer
Former Staff Member
My Puffers: Dwarf puffer - Thumbelina (only mine in my heart now; she lives in CT with my friend)

RIP Inigo Montoya, Fezzik, and Vizinni.
RIP James Bond.
Location (country): United States

Post by LilGreenPuffer »

I also think that the SAP needs some buddies. There's an article on them in the Library about their schooling needs.
"I will give you a talisman. Whenever you are in doubt, or when the self becomes too much with you, apply the following test. Recall the face of the poorest and the weakest man whom you may have seen, and ask yourself, if the step you contemplate is going to be of any use to him or her. Will she gain anything by it? Will it restore her to a control over her own life and destiny? In other words, will it lead to freedom for the hungry and spiritually starving millions? Then you will find your doubts and your self melt away."

Found among the papers of Mohatma Gandhi

Come and visit http://www.thetriopsforum.com!

I AM A DUDETTE!

NEED NITRIFYING BACTERIA FOR YOUR NEW TANK? PM ME!
sample789
Dwarf Puffer
My Puffers: Puff daddy my GSP and my two SAPs named gibralter and fang, and now my two dwarf puffers named behemoth and goliath

Post by sample789 »

ok next time i have gas to make it to town i will buy another south american puffer and yes the GSP is in brackish
LilGreenPuffer
Former Staff Member
My Puffers: Dwarf puffer - Thumbelina (only mine in my heart now; she lives in CT with my friend)

RIP Inigo Montoya, Fezzik, and Vizinni.
RIP James Bond.
Location (country): United States

Post by LilGreenPuffer »

If your tank has enough free space, I'd make it two more SAPs.
"I will give you a talisman. Whenever you are in doubt, or when the self becomes too much with you, apply the following test. Recall the face of the poorest and the weakest man whom you may have seen, and ask yourself, if the step you contemplate is going to be of any use to him or her. Will she gain anything by it? Will it restore her to a control over her own life and destiny? In other words, will it lead to freedom for the hungry and spiritually starving millions? Then you will find your doubts and your self melt away."

Found among the papers of Mohatma Gandhi

Come and visit http://www.thetriopsforum.com!

I AM A DUDETTE!

NEED NITRIFYING BACTERIA FOR YOUR NEW TANK? PM ME!
sample789
Dwarf Puffer

Post by sample789 »

ok i got another SAP today he is adjusting still so he is being kinda emo but i bought the last one well there was one other but it was like a couple millimeters long and i didnt want one of my fish to eat him so i left him there
sunny.sideupp
Puffer Fry
Location (country): Lahore,Pakistan

Post by sunny.sideupp »

My fahaka puffer is swimming up and down for hours it is alone in the 40gallon tank with 1 roseline shar and yoyo loach and is nor eating alot just 1/4th of an chicken heart and dose not eat any shell food what to do help and how much water flow is good for them
Pufferpunk
Queen Admin
My Puffers: Filbert, the 12" T lineatus
Punkster, the 4" red T miurus
Mongo, the 4" A modestus
2 T biocellatus
C valentini
C coranata
C papuan
Also kept:
lorteti
DPs
suvattii
burrfish
T niphobles
Location (country): USA, Greenville, SC

Post by Pufferpunk »

Your fahaka will eventually eat its tank mates. Please remove them.
Pretty sure puffers do not eat chicken hearts in the wild, LOL!
library/feeding/feeding-your-puffers/
library/feeding/problems-feeding-your-puffer/

How long has your tank been set up? Water parameters?
You are getting sleepy... you only hear the sound of my voice... you must do water changes... water changes... water changes... water changes...

"The solution to pollution is dilution!"
sunny.sideupp
Puffer Fry
Location (country): Lahore,Pakistan

Post by sunny.sideupp »

I know chicken heart is not a good diet but when I brought it home the said hes been feeding chickens heart for 3 months i have tried caryfish , dried shrimp and live but does not eat it so i have to feed her something i have had it for 18 days and the tank mates are also its previous owners and they with it in a 30 gallon tank now its in 55gallon tank with 20 gallon sump the water parameters are also ideal i am very worried how should i change her diet