Looking for info on this Puffer

A place to discuss general puffer care or news.
Martin Hi.
Figure 8 Puffer
My Puffers: Tetraodon erythrotaenia

Re: Looking for info on this Puffer

Post by Martin Hi. »

hi,
i am keeping this species for some months now.
it is right that this species has been caught from brackishwater until this year. they import them now from irian yaja and i do trust them that they have really been caught in freshwater. neverthelesse (yes, like with t.biocellatus) this species is not doing very well in pure freshwater. ich have slightly changed the salinity in the tank in the last months and it is easy to see that they easily get sick (fungus for the second time now) in pure freshwater. like with the biocellatus at least a little bit of salt in the tank makes them feel better.
because of that i still do nit keep them in real brackish water, but a minimum of salt is now always in the tank (10 liters of saltwater on 240 l freshwater brutto).
behavior: in contrast to the behavior that my old erythrotaenia, that i have kept some years ago, had, theese ones are very peaceful to each others: i keep three of them on 240l and i did not have even finnipping. but take care: those ones that i have kept some years ago killed themselves one day i was not at home: even the last man standing died later from his injuries! ebert also kept this species alone in a tank caus he could not event put two of it in one tank...
somehow those fish from irian yaja seem to be a little different. they even have been sold here in germany as t. cf. erythrotaenia, which is not right, as i think.
good luck with it!
martin
ps: there are also other fish in the tank! but finnipping occurs sometimes!
Pufferpunk
Queen Admin
My Puffers: Filbert, the 12" T lineatus
Punkster, the 4" red T miurus
Mongo, the 4" A modestus
2 T biocellatus
C valentini
C coranata
C papuan
Also kept:
lorteti
DPs
suvattii
burrfish
T niphobles
Location (country): USA, Greenville, SC

Post by Pufferpunk »

Is Irian Yaja an island in Indonesia? Where are they captured there?
You are getting sleepy... you only hear the sound of my voice... you must do water changes... water changes... water changes... water changes...

"The solution to pollution is dilution!"
Jase
Mbu Puffer
My Puffers: RIP Hootey :(
Location (country): USA

Post by Jase »

Is that Irian Yaja, or Irian Jaya?
-Jase
edmlfc1 wrote:A house without a puffer is not a home. :D
apachepufferman
Green Spotted Puffer
My Puffers: 1 fahaka 2 gsp
1 arrowhead 4 dwarfs
1 sap and thats just the puffers!!! So i'm a little fish crazy

Post by apachepufferman »

I woke up this morning and mine was slgihtly black bellied. I freaked out cause I have only had him for one day!!! So I broke down and added a small amount of marine salt to the tank. Less than 1/3 cup in a 25 gal. He seemed to pep up a bit after I added the salt. His belly whitened up as well. Not sure if it was because of the salt but he ignored the bloodworms this morning and after the salt was added he went into hunting mode....I will proabably add a bit more tomorrow and keep him around 1.002. I didn't want a brackish tank so I will try to keep it as low as I can.

Thanks for your input Martin its good to hear.
adam
Pufferpunk
Queen Admin
My Puffers: Filbert, the 12" T lineatus
Punkster, the 4" red T miurus
Mongo, the 4" A modestus
2 T biocellatus
C valentini
C coranata
C papuan
Also kept:
lorteti
DPs
suvattii
burrfish
T niphobles
Location (country): USA, Greenville, SC

Post by Pufferpunk »

Yeah... just a coincidence... NOT!! ;)
You are getting sleepy... you only hear the sound of my voice... you must do water changes... water changes... water changes... water changes...

"The solution to pollution is dilution!"
Martin Hi.
Figure 8 Puffer
My Puffers: Tetraodon erythrotaenia

Post by Martin Hi. »

hi,
Irian Jaya is a part pf papua new guinea which is an island parted into two counries (the other one is indonesia). so nothing new at all. just that the exports seem to be new from this part of the world.
i do not think that a black belly is a sign for the stress of the fish: in my tank it was always the dominant fish that had a black belly. of course: being the dominant fish may also cause stress, but that is "stress" with a different meaning.
but not to eat blodworms is not a good sign!
martin
Jase
Mbu Puffer
My Puffers: RIP Hootey :(
Location (country): USA

Post by Jase »

Thanks Martin. I was tryin to figure out if it was papua or indonesia. :)
-Jase
edmlfc1 wrote:A house without a puffer is not a home. :D
apachepufferman
Green Spotted Puffer
My Puffers: 1 fahaka 2 gsp
1 arrowhead 4 dwarfs
1 sap and thats just the puffers!!! So i'm a little fish crazy

Post by apachepufferman »

he still didn't want to eat this morning but the tank temp was down to 72 degrees F and he was just sitting on the bottom of the tank not moving. I added another heater and as the temp increased to 79 he started to swim around and whiten up. He still didn't eat any bloodworms but if he gets that hungry there are 2-3 ghost shrimp in there from God knows when so he won't starve he just may have to earn his food.
adam